Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #21
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

This is all very interesting but I'm confused. First, I can measure several of my guns and unless they have the same barrel length I wouldn't know if the "pitch" is the same or not from one to the next. Don't we need to go the next step and compute the actual angle using a little trig (sin of distance from wall divided by barrel length)?

Second, what do I do with this information? Is Pitch like the Length of Pull and I should know what is best for me and try to get all my guns to that measurement? Or, does it depend on what I'm hunting (shooting position)? Or is this to be left to the pro shooter and not for me?

I have listened to many discussions on LOP, cast, drop but this is my first time listening about pitch. I think I understand the computation methods but I don't know what one would do with this data? If I wanted to take pitch into account how do I know what is right for me?
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #22
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,418 Posts

Robin,

In my opinion it depends on how you perceive recoil. If you don't notice recoil to your face on all your guns then pitch is not a problem for you. If you notice recoil to your face but all you do is shoot your gun during hunting season, you may decide to live with it the way it is. I was told that most hunting guns have about neutral pitch so that when mounting quickly, the heel slides easily up to the shoulder. Don't know if that's true or not.

If however you shoot alot of skeet, trap, or sporting clays where you may shoot several hundred shots per day, recoil to the face is not something you may be able to tolerate for a long period of time. I've shot trap all my life and just about every gun I've tried recoils into my face. I could have bought a nice Parker for all the money I've sent on recoil devices. I bought a K-80 some years ago and it also recoiled to my face. I had Paul Hillmer make me a custom stock and I told him about the recoil to my face. He said he could fix that and he did. Examining the new stock, the only real difference is he increaed the amount of pitch to the butt. It's now has about 8 degrees from neutral. What a pleasure to shoot now.

Others may disagree but that's my opinion.

Last edited by Chuck Bishop; 12-15-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Pitch? How important?
Unread 12-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #23
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Pitch? How important?

Great thread. I'm from the school of "If it isn't broken- etc" on pitch, and am lucky in that any field grade M12 Winchester with factory stock made from 1936 through 1960 will fit me "near perfect" for field and casual clays shooting. Trap, Skeet, SC and perhaps Live birds, another scenario for gun fit perhaps. So the answers of- No recoil, if you can hit birds cosistently, etc- ring true. And i am also about 90% a serious waterfowler for all seasons- the early warm Sept. nuisance geese, through flight birds into oct-Nov, ending early Dec. and then the late Jan-Feb season for Geese. That might mean the LOP that worked for Sept. shirtsleeves early Goose hunting on a golf course "poop prize patrol" squad, well you get the drift.

Having done beaucoup steel fabrication work, as well as being a proficient rough-in and finish carpenter, I can say that even with new "production" homes, roughed in in a Midwest late Spring- many builders are loath to hang in the pre-fit exterior doors until later on. Why? because wood shrinks and expands with internal moisture (even treated wood) and the heat of summer and conversely, with the cold of winter. Another example is in finish work, with crown moulding- not all intersecting walls are a true 45% to make a perfect 90%, and you often have to make a "jig tracing" to get a tight, gap free mitered joint--Point is, the door jamb test is a 'field fix" by either the protractor method tends to be more consistent in accuracy.

refering to Jack O'Connor's "The Shotgun Book" Knopf 1965--page 159-he has the outline of a sidelocked DT side-by and dimensions detailed alphabetically- as he shows: "If measurements G (LOP from front trigger to heel of stock) and H (LOP from front trigger to toe of stock) are given, the pitch will be right" I assume he may have mean those measurements as given by the purchaser or the purchaser and a gun fitter with a try gun- just my guess.

Jack also details pitch further on pages 160 and 161. Just for fun, I took my Smith 12 3E with 28" barrels and my Smith Grade 2 with 30" barrels (both have identical stock dims, both made aprox 1908) and after verifying with a framing square and 6 ft. level I had a plumbed to a 90% intersecting door jamb to insure "accuracy" and there is about 3/4" pitch at muzzles difference between those two on the 2" OAL barrel length- Truth be told, there could be any amount of difference between the two and it wouldn't matter at all, as I kill pheasants cleanly over dogs with either one of those 12 bores.

Sometimes, and this is just one old guy's opinion here, perhaps we "over-think" the details, but then, I am apparently an easy person to fit in a shotgun, I can't say. Feathers in the air and a heft to the game strap (within the limit of course) are, to me, the ultimate criteria. I also only shoot 12 bores, so I may have more possible pattern 'forgiveness"!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Pitch
Unread 12-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #24
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Pitch

A dry wall square is not as elegant as a combo gauge, but it will give you all the numbers.

Best, Austin

PS As I remember from analyzing that machine inletted but unfinished DHE stock for DGJ. pitch is established for a Parker stock when the blank is headed up, and the butt plate inletted.
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin W Hogan For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #25
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Robin, if you are confused by the different barrel lengths, just measure the pitch from the same point on each gun. It was asked (by Robin) how we are to use this information. Well, I think we will use the information derived from a gun that feels good and that we shoot well to determine the pitch we would prefer on the next gun we choose to modify. However, that isn't neccesarily true because I own very comfortable guns that have zero pitch and I own very comfortable guns that have three inches of pitch. The only modification I have ever made to the butt of any gun to make it shoot better is to put some sticky stuff on it to keep it from slipping on the second shot. Any deficiency of length or pitch I have taken care of by adjusting my shooting style. Unlike Chuck, I have never had a competition gun that needed an adjustment in pitch to compensate for excessive recoil or cheek slap. Either I am lucky or all of my guns have similar pitch. Actually, I'm just fooling with you because all of my comp guns seem to have about 1 to 2 inches of pitch and all feel the same.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Pitch Analysis
Unread 12-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #26
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Pitch Analysis

Here is the pitch analysis that I used in the DGJ stock dimension article.

Best, Austin

This is an excel file, which will not upload. The data came from measurements and dimensions by DuBray in the order books. Straight grip stocks varied from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches pitch. I have the full table that includes drop, pull , inches and degrees pitch, but it is copyright DGJ. It can be looked up or perhaps I can find a way to publish one of the the preliminary data sets I used in the analysis.
Stock Dimensions
Unread 12-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #27
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Stock Dimensions

Here is a frequency analysis of 33 Parkers that I did before writing the DGJ article. The numbers in the bottom table are the number of guns with the pitch measured by the stand against the wall method.
An aside note; the PH shown near here as an example of straight grip checking is the gun with the least pitch, as measured this way. It is the only straight grip gun that I can use to shoot skeet five stand or sporting from an unmounted gun at the call.

I will contact Robin about putting the dimensions table on the FAQ.

Best, Austin

The table is too long for doc files; I'll make another try

Last edited by Austin W Hogan; 12-16-2009 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: ADDED TABLE
Stock Dimension Table
Unread 12-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #28
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Stock Dimension Table

Nothing like starting off the day by outsmarting a computer. Maybe this version will be acceptable.

Best Austin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PITCH TABLE doc.jpg (156.8 KB, 24 views)
Unread 12-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #29
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Austin,

That is great information. My crude conclusion that the more drop a Parker has the moare pitch it will have follows what your data shows. Do you recall what issue DGJ your artical is in? Would you give me the stock DAH, DAC, length and pitch of your PH?

Thanks, Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Mr. Hogan outwits the computer
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #30
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Mr. Hogan outwits the computer

Now that indeed is good news. I hadn't thought about the door jamb method with a hammer gun, as all of my doubles are hammerless- good point--

What makes a drywall square, framing square etc work is the Pythagorean Theorum-- but here's a puzzlement, at least to me-- a roof with a 12/12 pitch is a 45% roof-- half of 45% is 22.5%, and half of 12 is 6-- But= when you want to step off common rafters for a 22.5% roof it is a 5/12 (unless it is a hip, then it goes to 5/17)-- huum- hey, that's just the way it works I guess.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote