Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #31
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 2,013 Posts

We will have to disagree on that Stan. Dove shooting, is well, just shooting. No hunting involved--and yes I have done it to pass the time before real hunting starts. Maybe because it just wasnt tradition where I grew up.I will usually go once a year. Honestly, not trying to dis doves, just not my thing.
Unread 01-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #32
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

If dove shooting isn’t hunting what is deer hunting? You sit in a tree and wait for one to walk by. Dove hunting involves knowing their feeding habits, watering and roosting and being there to shoot them? I have only deer hunted once in my life and was bored to death sitting in a tree freezing my butt off! Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Unread 01-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #33
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKinney View Post
I have lived in Western NC all my life, the far west for 13 years. I got my first Brittany in 1987 and we taught each other. Killed 3 grouse that first year. The next year we knew more about hunting, the habitat to look for, shot a little better, and my dog made a lot of progress. As Harold said, hunting and finding grouse was good. We hunted nearly always on NFS land and I’ve said myself before that three were as many grouse here as the UP, but I couldn’t wait to get there. My first trip was 1989 and my brother and myself planned to go every year, and did until 2000. I’ve been a couple of times since but it wasn’t the same without my brother.
We began to see less birds here in the late ‘90’s to the point it was hard to go regularly as it became just a hike. We always blamed it on habitat as the forest service just didn’t and haven’t cut much timber as it didn’t suit the tree huggers.
I used to think about going where the game was, but I think I’ve figured out I’m just a hillbilly, so I guess the next time we move will be when one of the girls need us to be closer.
There are lots of creeks and rivers to fish in, several lakes, good opportunities to be outside. Lot’s of folks have discovered our area and they want to be here, but they want it to be just like where they left.........but it’s still home to me.
Which almost mirrors East Tennessee Mike!
Unread 01-27-2021, 09:01 PM   #34
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

My humble apologies to the dove shooters, as soon as I hit the submit button, I thought, shouldnt have said that. Didn't really mean any disrespect .There was no dove season in Ohio until the mid 1990's, so just wasnt something we did, no tradition. I know its a big deal elsewhere.
Im not a big deer hunter either, but cant hunt birds during gun season in Ohio. I need to walk with a bird dog out front to be happy.
Unread 01-27-2021, 10:17 PM   #35
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,926 Times in 1,120 Posts

The folks who never have had to scout doves to plan a dove shoot are usually the ones who think of it as only shooting. The man who did the leg work and put in the hours of work determining if there were enough birds feeding there to invite a dozen or more people is definitely a hunter. Most dove hunters I know have paid their dues and done their time scouting. I spend many more hours scouting than i do shooting.

No problem, Harold. It's not always easy to understand what goes into a hunt until you're on the other side of it.

SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2021, 10:50 PM   #36
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Interesting topic. Knowing what you want seems to be almost as hard as affording it. About the only thing I want more of is October. And I’ll be spending those in the north woods talking mostly with a Setter and occasionally cussing at myself.

When the kids were growing up they liked the beach and we would hit that for a week. I usually I would hitch a ride on a Big game boat and we’d run 80 miles out to the canyons and fish for tuna or white marlin. That was fun, but couldn’t do it often the beach is biggest part of 8 hours away. Had to compromise and settle for a Great Lake beach and walleye and steelhead fishing. The boat at 25’ hard top is half the size of fishing vessels but still plenty of adventure. And just 2 1/2 hours from home. The sunsets are just as epic as any ocean. World class steelhead stream fishing, no it isn’t bending cane floating drys at Henry’s Fork and the waters are never as emerald as the Shoshone coming out of the gorge. But the lake run bows will rival their relatives from the Cinder River on the Alaskan peninsula.
All of that is in NE Ohio, and yes it features winter as a season, but can be very beach like 5 months of the year. Grouse aren’t there but you can be at the Mighty Mac in about 7 hours and you’ll have driven past a few grouse already.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2021, 10:55 PM   #37
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,455 Times in 967 Posts

Oh boy a feud : ) I once fished on Catharine Creek outside the Finger Lakes for running rainbows with a friend who madly wanted us to go. My buddy and I fly fish. We used weight, egg sacks, spinning reels with ungodly long rods. It was H E L L. My buddy told the guy who took us, "Well, the NASCAR blaring on the radio from your damn RV on the side of the stream kinda spoiled the mood dude..." The response was firm and strong and I realized we're all in this game together. It's better than shooting up crack and looting 711's. We all have a common theme whether it's deer, doves or mudbats. My proselytizing is over.
Unread 01-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #38
birddogdoc
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,527 Times in 267 Posts

If I was to pick just one state for fishing and hunting...it would be Idaho...my home state. You can still get access to private land by knocking on doors or calling people and asking. There's more blm and state land then you could hunt or fish in a life time too. Idaho has stream access to the high water mark even on private property. I've fished the Big Wood River in Sun Valley right in all those Hollywood elite's backyards...had em yell at us but they couldn't do a darn thing about it. Idaho has 5 species of grouse, valley quail, bobwhites, pheasants, chukars and loads and loads of huns. True bird hunters paradise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shawn Wayment For Your Post:
Visit Shawn Wayment's homepage!
Unread 01-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #39
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Idaho has been on my radar for several years now, but would probably take 3 days to get there. Its variety intrigues me. Does your brother the optometrist share yours and Andrew's passion for upland hunting and fishing?
Unread 01-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #40
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,455 Times in 967 Posts

Idaho would be heaven.