Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Out of it's element .......
Unread 01-30-2021, 09:16 PM   #1
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Default Out of it's element .......

Super Foxes were built for water fowling. I know that. That's all mine has ever done under my care, until today. It is absolutely the finest duck gun I've ever used. Thirty-two inch barrels, heavy to help absorb the recoil of big loads, and strong to absorb the same. I was in a quandary this morning. I was invited to a late season dove shoot for this afternoon and had to decide which double to take. My 32" A grade 12 had not been used lately, but the HE, which usually gets hunted on ducks in AR, did not this season, because of low water there, and COVID 19.

So, this morning as I pondered the wheres and heretofores of the doubles in the stable I thought "Well, since the HE couldn't get out for ducks this year why not give her a fling on the dove field?" I've owned this Super for somewhere around 15 years and never used it for anything but ducks ............ until today.

I went 5 for 5, then missed a bird. Then killed three more with one shot each .......... okay, eight for nine. Pretty good. Two doves came from my right, true crossers at about 35 yards. I was using Fiocchi Interceptors in the right barrel (1 oz. spreaders) and Federals in the left, no. 8s, both. The birds looked closer than 35 yards so I pulled a little ways out in front of them and hit the front trigger. Both birds fell dead at the shot, and landed not over 10 feet apart. A true double, and I was 10 for 10! Then, there was a lull in the flights, which gave me time to think. That's a bad thing. The wheels fell off, and I killed a couple more, but with several misses.

Probably my last shoot of the season (tomorrow is the last day of the season and it's supposed to rain all afternoon), but it's been a good late season. I remember an article, probably in DGJ, about "Pop" Headrick using an HE on a dove shoot. Kinda gave me a cozy feeling this afternoon, remembering that.

SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2021, 09:27 PM   #2
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Nice going Stan. Good choice going with the HE. As they say "A Fox gets the game".
Unread 01-30-2021, 10:17 PM   #3
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Stan,

Beautiful gun and nice shooting. The last day of the season I took my 12 Parker DH 32" gun. But the birds had moved on so I only got a few, but the 32s do help. I noticed your blind. I also use one every time I go. It makes a difference to conceal a dove hunter. And the biggest mistake a dove hunter makes is shouldering the gun long before the dove is in range and giving it time to turn. The portable blind makes the difference in concealment.
Jerry Harlow is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2021, 11:14 PM   #4
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jerry, I've been shooting doves since i was 8. I'm now 69, so that's been a while. I never used a blind until about 15 years ago. I'm still learning about blinds for doves ..... how important it is that it blends well into the surrounding ground cover. It's pretty tough to do that in some conditions. I told a hunting buddy just this afternoon that, before next season, I am going to find some burlap blind material that blends in better with dead sunflowers than what I have, or dye some myself.

Seven long months until the first Saturday of September. Orange clay birds will have to suffice, I guess.

SRH
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2021, 11:39 PM   #5
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Stan,

I find the blind effective because it hides my gun and the movement of my hands until the last minute even if it is not the same color as the background. While some may think it is crazy to have a head/face mask on to hunt doves, they are no dummies when it comes to something way out of the ordinary, like a person or a gun barrel moving. I don't use one in the heat but for late season I do most of the time to also keep warm. I've been using a blind if there is no natural cover for twenty-five years. It works.
Jerry Harlow is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 01-31-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Amen, Jerry, to both the effectiveness of a blind in hiding movements, and on the use of a face mask. I hated face masks for years because i just couldn't find one that was comfortable. They all just bothered me in someway or another. Then, I happened on one sold by Ol' Tom. They are made of a polyester material that feels like silk, and are the best designed masks I've ever found. I immediately bought an extra, 'cause you know how it goes with things you like ...........they'll stop making them, sure as shooting'. I can highly recommend these:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/27...=1101131606204
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 01-31-2021, 09:12 AM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Stan, I'm glad you can hunt dove so late in the year. I wish Missouri would wise up. It appears that Super Fox fits you pretty well. As for "thinking" getting you in trouble, I can agree. Knowing what I'm doing wrong (or even right for that matter!) is oftentimes a recipe for disaster with me. Looks like you conquered your "thinking problem."
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-31-2021, 10:41 AM   #8
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Stan;
Can't get that link to Midway to open. I use a homemade blind now but I'm always looking for the next best thing. I only use it during our late season.
Unread 01-31-2021, 10:56 AM   #9
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

The link opens perfectly for me, Daryl. I dunno why it wouldn't for you. BTW, the link is for a face mask.

I use a homemade blind, too. I built a new "edition" last November. It uses "posts" made of 1/2" aluminum rod. It might be interesting to others here if I took some close-ups of the way I made it. I like it better than any one I've ever had. If I do I'll start a new thread in the appropriate forum.
Unread 01-31-2021, 11:34 AM   #10
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yeah, I see that now although it still won't open. None the less- I found a face mask years ago at Cabelas that is the most comfortable and warm mask that I have ever found. I never realised how much difference they could make on a cold and windy day. Alas, they no longer sell them and I threw the package away.

My blind, which I also use for a quick setup for deer or turkey, is made from 1/2" EMT tubing with wooden clothespins holding the nylon camo in place.