Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #31
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Sure George, part of it. And Deportee, He was a friend of mine, This land is your land, Alabamy Bound, lots of old stuff nobody but us dinosaurs know.
Woody Guthrie, Jimmy Rodgers, Hank Williams, Sr., George Jones, Hank Snow, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard........................................... ......................

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Lander For Your Post:
Here's a few more=-
Unread 04-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #32
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Here's a few more=-

[quote=Richard Flanders;39629]Dave Von Ronk! That guy made a living playing the same songs for almost 50yrs. Unbelievable. Not many can pull that off. Very unique. I learned quite a lot of his stuff in the 70's and can still play some of it. Have always loved his style. There will never be another like him. Also: Joel Mabus, John Prine, Bonnie Raitt. Both Bob Dylan and Steve Goodman "borrowed" a Dave Von Ronk guitar riff-with emphasis on the relative minor of the Key used- Dylan used it in "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" and Goodman with "City of New Orleans".. Of all of Dave's songs, I like "Baby, Let Me Follow You Down" about the best. I had heard he died of a heroin overdose in Greenwich Village though- glad to hear he's still with us.---And to paraphrase Arlo-Steve-Willie- all whom have sung the great train song- after last night's Final Four play-offs- "I'm halfway home, will be there by (not mornin') Monday Night- I took the U Conn Huskies to win it all- 50% ain't bad. Wonder why they got named for an Alaskan sled dog, instead of being named the "Nutmeggers"- unless they took that nickname before 1959- Lookin' Good!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #33
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

Francis, you got your wish with UConn, and my beloved Kansas Jayhawks went out far too early, and Jim Hall, yes your Richmond teams were superior, but that was this year and next year, look out.

And next year, maybe some of you guys will join me at White Sands. I have two friends who are getting knee replacement surgery this year, one older, another the same age, and just get a grease fitting installed with your new knee and come on the march.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Battan Death March
Unread 04-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #34
Art Wheaton
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Battan Death March

Bruce...

The book "Ghost Soldiers" was riveting..about the marine rescue. We must never forget..

Art
Art Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Art Wheaton For Your Post:
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #35
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,882 Times in 4,762 Posts

Dean's observation about conservatives with compassion is right on. However, his statement about liberals with head must refer to someone I haven't yet met.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You Art!
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #36
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Thank You Art!

[quote=Art Wheaton;39776]Bruce...

The book "Ghost Soldiers" was riveting..about the marine rescue. We must never forget..

Art[/ Part of our Motto "Semper Fi!" infers that we never forget our own- NEVER!!
If Jim Hendrix was a Captain (0-3)-- then --
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #37
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default If Jim Hendrix was a Captain (0-3)-- then --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
And Jimi (Purple Haze) Hendrix was a captain if I am not mistaken. Takes all kinds I guess... pissheads, hippies and leathernecks... to make the world go 'round. But most of us are still not fonda Jane...
-- I'm King Henry whatever number you want. Hendrix would have had a problem with military issue ordnance anyway, even if he did serve (which I doubt)- as he was left-handed and military shoulder arms are oriented to only right handed men!! Oh well, he's dead and floating around in his Purple haze (read heroin here troops)!!
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #38
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

An acquaintance, Bob Shirkey, was a young officer on the Cabutan raid to rescue the Bataan prisoners and I have heard him recount his adventures a couple times. He is retired here as a B/Gen and spent his whole career in the Rangers. I have met the author of Ghost Soldiers, Hampton Sides, but have not read the book, probably should.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
I've never met him either!
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #39
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default I've never met him either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Dean's observation about conservatives with compassion is right on. However, his statement about liberals with head must refer to someone I haven't yet met.
And when I saw him putting out the wreath at the Tomb of The Unknows each 11/Nov for 8 years, I wanted to puke!! I suppose I could add something about Monica Lewd-inski, but I won't, for now anyways!!
Unread 04-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #40
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'd like to make the march and if they could provide some incentive, as in being chased by a superior force of NVA, I might be able to make it. Adrenalin is a wonderful stimulant!
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote