Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Colt SAA
Unread 06-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,542 Times in 12,444 Posts

Default Colt SAA

Well, it's not a double but I thought I'd share this anyway.

I spoke with Wes Dillon this evening about bringing a certain SXS to him for the fall auction. But while I spoke with him I was on my way to a friend's place to pick up this really neat Colt so that I could bring it to Wes this weekend in Maine to consign it to auction at Julia's.
I don't know a whole lot about Colt revolvers but thought maybe someone here might chime in on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0820.JPG (251.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0817.JPG (248.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0806.JPG (271.0 KB, 9 views)
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Very nice! It has the 'Blackpowder Frame' and traces of finish in the cylinder flutes. The screw heads look pretty good, too! A real nice, unbuggered SAA will command a small fortune at an auction. Is there a factory letter? What is the caliber? The number one choice was the .45 followed by 44-40, 38-40, 32-20 and the .41. There were dozens more, but they are very uncommon, like the .22 RF and .32 LC, for example. Has the front sight been filed? This modification is certainly not uncommon. One of my favorite shooters was a 99% SAA in .45 Colt, made in 1964. I had 2 Cimarron Ubertis in .44 Special (my all-time favorite revolver cartridge), too. USFA's Rodeo in .38 Special was my last SAA. My hands do not tolerate ANY amount of recoil anymore, so the SAAs all had to go. Nothing fills the hand as nicely as a SAA, real or reproduction! A brand new Bearcat is my new plinker. Cheers!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Landskov For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,969 Times in 4,803 Posts

Just like a Parker, a factory letter will add more than its cost to the hammer price of almost any Colt. Colt letters are expensive, but some are well worth the price.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
It is a first gen BP frame--
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default It is a first gen BP frame--

Std issue barrel length, not cut down? I have five in my collection (Thanks, Dad) three seconds in .45, two in .44-40-- Dad worked on a cattle ranch in Wyoming in late 1920's- when a ranch hand was paid $30 month and "found"- meaning room and board-- and the payday poker games meant someone wanted to sell his "Hogleg" for $10 cash money to 'tide him over" until the next time the "Eagle Flew"--most of the ones he bought for that sum back them were used as hammers, and mainly shot to dispatch broken legged steers or the occasional snake or coyote-I also have a 1851 Navy Cap and Ball and an 1860 Army Cap and ball- the later in .44 cal, the Navy is the "pipsqueak" .36 cal--all well worn, but like any Colt- all shooters--

My Army General of all generals- George Smith Patton Jr- shot 4 of Pancho Villa's desperadoes, included Villa's second in command- in Mexico -from horseback and while moving-- the four came from around a barn, while Patton's men were deploying armed with 1903 Springfields-- 4 shots, four dead bandits from a moving horse- no wonder General "Black Jack" Pershing called him, fondly- my Captain Sure-Shot- they came back to Ft. Bliss with the four dead cabrones draped over the hood of a Ford Model T--Patton could have carried the then new Browning designed Colt 1911 in .45ACP, but he stayed with his SAA Army .45 issue sidearm--

Many of the quotes from the 1970 Movie with George C. Scott as Patton were true, my late first father-in-law was a S/Sgt. in his 3rd. Army, and as he was fluent in German, was on Patton's staff roster as a NCO in charge of captured German soldaten-- and he told me the line about "Only a cheap pimp in a New Orleans Sportin' House would carry a pistol with a mother-of-pearl set of grips- his were Ivory--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

very nice old colt..should fetch a good price...me id want to keep the old colt... francis i met general pattons sargent mager that served with him in world war 2...told me some good tales about the general...shame he died about 2 years ago very nice and interesting fellow... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Dean I would not consign that particular SXS to Julia's. It's a nice gun and I think you should be able to sell it personally. IF you do go the auction route at least put a reserve on it.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 06-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,969 Times in 4,803 Posts

If it's actually for sale, why not list it here?
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I did but only got "tire kickers".
It's a "Good Year" for kicking those tires-
Unread 06-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default It's a "Good Year" for kicking those tires-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I did but only got "tire kickers".
-- ?? What is the sxs in question here. I only chimed in because I am a serious owner/shooter of Colts- both revolvers (SA and DA) and pistols- I have a 1911-A-1 Combat Commander from Bob Chow's bench in CA- and am looking an a NM 1911-A-1 that may have had the hands of Armand Swenson on it- all Colts are Steinways (OK- Dean is in Mass- make that Mason & Hamlin as well)-- just like in Carneigie, some are 'tuned" a tad different--

I am a bit taken aback that amongst the PGCA brotherhood, now that our BOD has graciously allowed us to post doubles for sale (something that apparently the Smith-sonians do not) Dean would get the Pirellis on his Volvo "booted"-- that sort of "peanut gallery" response I would expect on the DoubleGunWorkShoppe and the Gunz & Roses brokerage channel- where a % of the gents offering overpriced guns don't know extractors from ejectors, or a POW grip from a pistol grip-etc--

Come on Dean- give it another shot, and with fotos even. I'll betcha a hood ornament from a 1956 Volvo coupe you'll get some serious interest here on the PGCA--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Francis, an Iver Johnson .410 Skeeter isn't for everyone and my "tire kicker" comment wasn't meant to disparage anyone at all if that's what you were refering to as a "peanut gallery" comment. I poster it here before... with pictures. Maybe at Julia's we'll see what it is worth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: