Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 02-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #21
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

I'll pass on that Camaro.... the passenger door latch doesn't seem to be working.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Blowed Out Country Gone Bad
Unread 02-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #22
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Default Blowed Out Country Gone Bad

Great quail country but battled wind at 25 gusts to 45 and 41 degrees. Dogs couldn't get a scent line and when the birds did fly, they were at 50mph within a second or two. So no birds today, but that's hunting. But hey , its wild birds, my dogs, my choice in how to hunt and I kinda like that.

I'm going to ask the experts why I missed shots yesterday. Must have been something wrong with the gun.

Earlier in the season it was 6 coveys a day and 50 bird coveys. Now its the end of the season and the middle of winter. Not many even hunt this late.

About 4 we quit battling the wind and found a country bar, a beer and Merle Haggard and George Jones.

And if you don't like the Camaro , here are a few more oldies but goodies. Twenty years before those two trucks were made, folks piled all their belongings and their family in even more rickety trucks and headed west from here in the dustbowl to what they hoped was a better life in California.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ingalls15.JPG (134.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ingalls16.JPG (95.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ingalls17.JPG (105.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ingalls18.JPG (103.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ingalls19.JPG (122.0 KB, 1 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 02-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

There's a Studebaker truck just like that one just down the road from me in a field behind a house. It's in pretty good shape too and it has been driven a few times in the last few years but it has no plates. The guy Will NOT sell it.

Unread 02-02-2016, 08:45 PM   #24
Jim Beilke
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bruce, It's great to live in Fly Over Country. The only trouble we can see about 10 feet today. Your dust bowl country looks a lot better now that when they were trying to farm it.Jim
Jim Beilke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Beilke For Your Post:
Unread 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #25
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
This has every option but the cement blocks. It may be available. I'll ax him.
That's not in the 67-69 age range 😉
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Finished
Unread 02-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #26
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Finished

The season runs for another 12 days but we have to get home.

A good day. Seven coveys of truly wild quail. Eight miles walking. Most coveys were about 10 birds, one was about 30.

So here is a photo of my quail gun, a unique Parker, at least the Parker records show only one made.

And finally my dogs both on point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ingalls20.JPG (148.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg ingalls21.JPG (169.1 KB, 1 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 02-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #27
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Is that the CHE 20 with the 24" barrels Bruce? I remember lusting over that one at Pintail Point one year.

Unread 02-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #28
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

No, the CHE ( 1905) is a 20/26, SKBT, Turkish Star Damascus, PG, rondell panel engraving with single wood duck on floor plate, DT, IC and Full.

This is a DHE ( 1910) 20/24, CKBT, Titanic, 1/2PG, standard side panel and floor plate engraving, DT, IC and IC.

Both guns are original configurations and chokes. Both guns are understood to be unique because of details. There are a few other D 20/24's, but none with checkered butt indicated in any known records. Original checkered butt Parkers are in an unusual pattern and are rare until the late Remington Parker skeet guns. There are many non original stocks with checkered butts in the full coverage English style.

There was a comment about C grade engraving the other day on the forum. I differ with that. In my readings and studying many C's, I conclude:
1. Prior to 1900, almost all C's had deer or elk on the floor plate, setter and pointer on the side panels.
2. 1900-1905 . 75% had five pheasant floor plate , pointer and setter side panels. This was the period of rondell side panels, and 25% had that. When rondell side panels are found, there will be anything on the bottom and it is usually very well done. It is usually a single, could be a wood duck, mallard, deer, grouse, ruffed grouse, woodcock, dog, etc. There are a few B's and one known D with rondell side panels from this period. There is one known BH with double rondell side panels each side. These seem to be desired among collectors.
3. 1905-about 1925, pointer and setter side panels, five pheasants bottom. Rarely anything different. I saw one with a deer.
4. 1925 to end of production. pointer and setter side panels, anything on floor plate, usually one or two dogs, a duck, goose, grouse, etc. Usually quite well done, I think at least some by Runge. I have a Runge C with finely done dogs.

I have all eras of production, from top lever hammers to the last C in the records and I have made it a mission to inspect every one that I can. I did a presentation on C engraving at the last PGCA meeting in Louisville, complete with photos and guns. I am still learning.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Bruce, your disagreement with what I said is well founded. You are truly a graduate student of the C-Grade Parkers and I respect your opinion and knowledge on the subject. I remember well the excellent talk you gave on C-Grade Parkers at the Annual Meeting we held in Louisville a few years ago. You have a very in-depth knowledge of your subject.

Unread 02-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #30
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,080 Times in 354 Posts

Since this post was quail and chevy subject I thought I would post this vehicle we used today to do a little combat snipe hunting.Lots of rain and no drainage on ranch prompted me to use our work truck today.Entire ranch is wet now but snipe are there and season closes Monday.So we went and made it back in one piece.This is a GMC after todays activites but close enough for mud work.
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote