Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Two lucky guys shooting the storm
Unread 12-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Two lucky guys shooting the storm

We got the tail end of a severe storm this morning. More flooding of the surrounding clubs, so we were the only ones shooting. Limits of sprig, teal, and widgeon today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Showing the Parker.jpeg (148.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg Lapdog loves ducks.jpeg (145.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg Boot room..jpeg (152.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg The Mallard hole..jpg (515.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Peace..jpg (77.5 KB, 8 views)
Brian Stucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice going guys. Maybe it's my California upbringing but sprig are my favorite ducks, both to look at and on the table. I'm also old enough to remember when you could shoot 10!
Still no water here but I think it's close. Should start flowing in the next few days, then I'll be happy. Still some time for mallards and geese but our sprig are long gone. When it's -25 F in the AM, as it has been every morning for several days, the mallards and honkers like that warm water. High day time temps are around +9 to +11 lately.
-plc-
Peter Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

By the way, that's a nice blacktail on the wall. I think few animals are handsomer than a nice blacktail, especially those "Pacific bucks" if you are old enough to have heard that term.
-plc-
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Peter, we have the Pacific Coast Range Bucks on our ranch and are in the private lands management deer program with Calif. DFG. Old timers claim the Pacific Bucks have a taller rack. We see both; tall and wide.

Hope your weather comes in soon for some good shooting. We got ours early this year and are planning on taking full advantage. We have several thousand sprig on the ranch currently and am hopeful my photographer buddy can get some professional type shots. There is a pair of eagles harassing the birds this afternoon; a golden and a bald. The snows vamoosed the property, but so far the sprig and speckle bellied geese are holding. They move around from field to field but haven't left.....YET!

Thus far, all the ducks are tasting very well, especially the sprig. But the gadwall and widgeon are mild too as they are still eating rice. Different story when they switch to grass next month.
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Great pictures-Thanks!
Where in CA is the ranch? I have a good friend in Lincoln who tells me tales of shooting in the fronts in the valley.
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stucker View Post
Peter, we have the Pacific Coast Range Bucks on our ranch and are in the private lands management deer program with Calif. DFG. Old timers claim the Pacific Bucks have a taller rack. We see both; tall and wide.

Hope your weather comes in soon for some good shooting. We got ours early this year and are planning on taking full advantage. We have several thousand sprig on the ranch currently and am hopeful my photographer buddy can get some professional type shots. There is a pair of eagles harassing the birds this afternoon; a golden and a bald. The snows vamoosed the property, but so far the sprig and speckle bellied geese are holding. They move around from field to field but haven't left.....YET!

Thus far, all the ducks are tasting very well, especially the sprig. But the gadwall and widgeon are mild too as they are still eating rice. Different story when they switch to grass next month.
Sounds like a great place Brian. I grew up around Gilroy and I'm 8th generation on my mother's side (back to land grant days). My dad always called those bucks Pacific bucks or blue bucks. Seems in our area they were often tall as you suggest and with great big fork-horn racks, but not 3 or 4 pointers. Also the coat was sleek and blueish colored. Quite handsome with those mahogany colored antlers.
Another storm coming in for Christmas here and another one Thursday or so, so maybe we will turn around. Cold as all billy hell though with -22 F this AM and highs in the teens again today. This is about the 5th day of -20 or colder.
We have a turkey shoot at the local club and my son and I plan to drag some Parkers over and try our luck if it warms a little.
-plc-
Unread 12-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Peter; The deer do have a sleek look to them. The years we plant tomatoes and have lots of water in the ponds, the deer look the best. Few ticks and good layers of fat. Good luck with your shoot.

David; The deer ranch is located 20 miles due west of UC Davis. We are the last ranch on the county rd. before the coast range. Over the hill to the west is the upper Napa valley. Lots of deer in between. Lincoln has really developed over the last 25 years. Not too many hunting areas left over in that country.
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Finally have some warm water flowing out of my big well. Pond is filling and will spill into the wetland area in a few days, but even with 72 degree F water, it is hard to stay ahead of the cold. It was -30 F this AM and there are several thousand mallards within 1/2 mile of my place but they don't fly much in these temps. Hope they get up and find us soon. Looking forward to the year we plant barley. Hope to have some photos of some parkerized fat green heads soon. Duck season goes to 1/27 here, goose to 2/10.
-plc-
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

We have experienced a vanishing of the ducks in our area. The bottomlands have flooded and the birds stay there,
lounging all day long. They fly out for evening feeding on the moon, but nothing during the day. Supposed to be in the high 50's by the weekend. Duck season is over on the 27th, so maybe we get another shot at them. Otherwise, it's next year.

Boy, I really get tired of repeating that statement each January!