Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

It's Monday and the BHE got wet and muddy.
Unread 12-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default It's Monday and the BHE got wet and muddy.

Okay, two days ago the birds started showing up in great numbers and were headed to our refuge. The very far northern rice fields on the west side of the ranch started filling with ducks and geese. Yesterday the weatherman promised a nice storm and we confirmed it by watching the barometric pressure start to fall. Although my hunting buddy advised against it, I slinked out to the opposite end of the ranch with binoculars at 4:30 PM to bird watch. Just had to see if these ducks and geese were moving around the blinds and needed to know which blind we should shoot in the morning. Okay, blind #2.

Well, the place was just lousy with ducks and geese and last evening the commotion they unleashed attracted additional high fliers....and they came in as well. Can't call Bill quick enough and tell him of my sightings. He responds with an updated weather report calling for increasing winds and rain through the night and next morning. IT IS ON! We are like two kids on Christmas eve CONVINCED we are both going to score in the morning.

1:00 AM big wind. 2:00 AM getting stronger. 3:00 AM the furniture blows off the front porch. 3:30 AM get up and put ear plugs in for some sleep. Finally...thank God, the alarm goes off and I'm up....cooking coffee and breakfast. Bill gets here and we get dressed, talking and hurrying, and spilling sh*t everywhere. We are on the quad motoring out to the blind and start to notice something very wrong. Our ball caps haven't blown off yet. Sometimes we forget our duck headgear and leave the boot room with our caps still on. No problem, the wind blows 'em off and we remember to change. Not today.

The wind started to fizzle and we then noticed some very light sections of sky opening up. Drat! Another midnight squall that clears out at shoot time. We trudged onward, set out for the blind, and got ready for....yep, less wind and more sky. Nothing for the first five minutes. Not even a bird in the area. Twenty minutes later....still nothing flying...but wait, the wind starts back up. Okay we are NOT dead yet.

The wind really starts to hit high gear and all of a sudden the refuge explodes sending birds all over the place. We shoot about 3/4 mile from our 'closed zone' and can see the birds moving our way. Closer, closer, closer....

The pictures below show what two very excited old farts accomplished in 30 minutes. It was like opening our Christmas presents this morning. We got out quickly, as sunshine was breaking out and more birds were heading towards the refuge. Bill left before the wife could get him to pose; I complied with her wishes.

Thursday is another storm. We'll try for some pictures of the birds grinding. The BHE did well with RST 6's. Got a bit wet and muddy, but Rem® Oil did the trick on the sticky safety. Big ups to Tom Bria for advising me last week on shot selection. Suggested swapping out 6's for 4's to help with the closer in ducks. 4's are just too tight inside 35 yds.

Pictures:
#1 is looking north to the refuge;
#2 Sprig and Mallard limit;
#3 Dirty BHE;
#4 Old gun rack and Chiweenie;
#5 Chocolate and Green;
#6 Curious Chiweenie. Hope you enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg The refuge.jpeg (100.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg Sprig and mallard.jpeg (115.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg Dirty gun.jpeg (136.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg Old gun rack.jpeg (127.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg Chocolate and Green.jpeg (122.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg Curious Chiweenie .jpeg (149.9 KB, 3 views)
Brian Stucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Brian
Thats a darn nice sight. and a darn happy bird dog!!
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

great pics, and a gun doing what it was meant to do. thanks for showing us your day
Unread 12-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

looks like you boys had a bang up day for sure...i really like the photos they make the trip and storey for us old fellas who only dream of going duck hunting any more...thats a mighty nice room you got there... cant wait for the next adventure to happen... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,430 Times in 1,647 Posts

Oh yea!!! BHE and tons of ducks---don't get any better except if you convert to a Super Fox----a real duck gun!!!!
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, that room is outside the main home and served as a bunk house for the previous owners' sons. Turned out to be a good boot room and gathering spot. Good for dirty shoes, cigars and dogs.

There is a series of storms starting Thursday that may last several days. The refuge continues filling with ducks, so we should have another good chance at them. I will post more pictures of our hunt. Glad you like them.

Craig, I would like and old Fox duck gun very much. My first problem is taste. My second problem is money. So, I solved the second problem by just shooting the Parker for now. Maybe someday....
Unread 12-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

That's the way to do it. So many guys won't take the good guns out in bad weather. A towel, an evening sitting by the heater, and an oily rag will take care of almost any problem. Good work......

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,238 Times in 12,378 Posts

A few quarters at the brushless car wash should thke care of the muddy BHE

Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Okay, I think that'll work. Take the quad over to the brushless place, put the gun in the front racks and proceed slowly. Practical trifecta; clean the gun, de-mud the quad, and test the rain coat and waders for leaks. Is there a way to post videos here?
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,238 Times in 12,378 Posts