Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Sunday in California....Big ducks are in.
Unread 12-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Sunday in California....Big ducks are in.

My partner and I have been very frustrated with the weather this season. We had rain and wind last week but the ducks weren't in quite yet. Yeah, we got a few gadwall and teal, but the mallard, sprig , and widgeon were nowhere to be found. Hard to be out in really ducky weather and not see the waves of ducks flying around the blind.

To make matters worse, the storm passed and the weatherman says we are dry for the next 10-14 days. Now the rain from the previous week is coming out of the hills and flooding out all around us. Giant duck clubs next to us are turning into massive lakes..... and the birds are starting to show up. Our worst fear.....rafted birds not moving.

Alas, the weatherman shows a strong wind arriving early this morning. A blustery north wind with clear blue skies. 5 am-no wind.
6 am-no wind. We decide to go out anyway and 'bird watch' with our shotguns in hopes of something...............AT SEVEN THIRTY!! The neighbors can't get out on their clubs. We are the only ones shooting within 5 miles. Well, those bastards started flying at 8 am and never stopped. Bill says 'we better count'.....bingo, 14 big ducks. Time to go back to the house.

I shot #5 RST's in the BHE with full chokes and clocked 'em in a 30 MPH wind. Bill shoots an ancient autoloader with #2 steel and was on the birds this morning. We are in our 60's and still enjoy going out like we did in our 20's. Nothing quite like it.

My Chihuahua loves dead ducks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Two 60+ yrs. .jpeg (224.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg Flooded rice in the background.jpeg (163.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg Okay, you caught me in the kitchen.jpeg (111.4 KB, 3 views)
Brian Stucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sounds like a great shoot. How many water retrieves did that dog make?
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

you boys done well on them ducks...sounds l;ike both of you were on target this morning... its been a while since ive seen them ducks come over and ever time you fellows tell us about your day out sure makes me want to get out... i hunt just about every day but still miss those big mallards coming in...by the way i too am in my 60 s and still enjoy hunting like a 20 year old...maybe more.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Justin, that dog is about as useless as they come. Chihuahuas can barely DRINK water let alone swim after a duck. Great on the lap with a post duck hunt beverage and cigar, though.

Charlie, we missed a lot of mallard this morning. Probably could hit widgeon or gadwall at 70 yrds right in the eye. But a nice greenhead fly by? Heck, you'd think it was a matter of survival....get the yips- over think each shot-then watch 'em fly off with nary a scrape. Absolutely pathetic. Thankfully, we were blessed with many opportunities this morning.
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Great birds and pictures, Brian. Good luck with more birds and rainy weather.
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis V. Nix For Your Post:
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,457 Times in 805 Posts

hell, i like dead ducks too, sounds like a great time scott
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Brian, nice shooting. It's realy cool to be the only ones out and able to hunt.
Where did you get the giant chihuahuha? My wife has 2 that weigh about 2 1/2 pounds total. They won't even walk in wet grass much less swim, if we get 2 more they would fill up my lap. The neat thing about them is their constant shaking makes for a great massage when your muscles are sore.
Unread 12-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hey Paul, my daughter picked the dog up at a rescue place. Chihuahua/doxie mix with great vision and attitude. She loves flushing roadside pheasant on walks and eating bird innards when I'm cleaning them. Very sturdy dog.

Also, it is a surreal experience to be able to decoy ducks and NOT worry about someone else shooting in a blind nearby. With that type of quiet in the area we will see the birds circle the deeks, fly off to another field, then come back maybe two or three times.
We are less stressed by not having to worry about someone else potting them. This way, both birds and hunters have a much more relaxing experience....until, well you know.
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Todd Schrock
PGCA Member

Member Info

Brian,

Congrats on a great day in duck blind!

There's nothing better than calling in a limit of big ducks and hammering them with a Parker, then savoring a fine cigar..........
Todd Schrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stucker View Post
... We are in our 60's and still enjoy going out like we did in our 20's. Nothing quite like it.
Pretty sure there are a few of us here that fit this description. Also, as Charlie put it, maybe even moreso than in our twenties. Years of experience has taught us what will and won't work. Maybe we developed a little bit of patience along the way that serves us well in getting our chosen game. For me, my Dad taught me the basics and I carried on honing a few of my own skills over the years. I would, however, enjoy having the joint flexibility of my 20's again.
Cheers,
Jack