Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

2 frame 10ga DH
Unread 10-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 2 frame 10ga DH

Don't often see many reasonable Parkers on GunsAmerica, but this one must have slipped through the cracks. An 1889 pre-rebounding hammerless, s/n 57024, with 30 inch dam3 bbls, obviously sent back much later where it got a 1910 hardened boltplate, and (sometime later?) the stock refinish, silvers pad, and beavertail forend. The serialization book lists it as a toplever hammer. That must be an error. I doubt the latter three modifications were done by Parker or Remington, but will wait to see the barrel flats for any repair codes. The pictures are small and not of the greatest quality, and some are in .bmp and the site doesn't like my resizing options, so I cant upload them, but when I saw it was a D and a 2 frame I took it on a 7 day right of refusal , so that I could get the wall thickness measured. Anybody ever seen a forend like that? Wonder who did it? When I get the gun in hand I will take some better pics (if I keep it). I just got an EH 2 frame 10 about a year ago. Hope this one looks as nice in person. Any other ideas or concerns?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pop_wm_3365031.jpg (30.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg pop_wm_3365032.jpg (29.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg pop_wm_3365033.jpg (28.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg pop_wm_3365034.jpg (28.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg wm_3365035.jpg (26.7 KB, 2 views)
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sure is nice looking wood. The forend is a replacement, but I'll bet it feels good in the hand. Congrats.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

good looking gun.. enjoy thats what they were made for... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'm not sure if you are asking for opinions...but the wood at either end does not look to be by Parker.
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg conomos View Post
I'm not sure if you are asking for opinions...but the wood at either end does not look to be by Parker.
I was looking for opinions, indeed. Clearly the forend is not Parker Bros. --at least not like anything that is in TPS. The buttstock is another story--I'll have to wait and pull the triggerguard to check for S/N marking. It, too, is clearly refinished and the Silvers pad looks too new to be installed by Parker or Remington. But the nose of the comb and the D teardrop are very Parkerish. I was just wondering if anybody had seen a beavertail forend in that configuration--it's not a Parker, doesn't look anything like an LC Smith or Winchester, and is sort of goofy looking if you ask me. Ithaca related, perhaps? Thoughts are welcome.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
wingshot
Forum Associate

Member Info

I used to have a high grade Ithaca 12-gauage with long barrels choked f/f, and it had a similarly shaped forend. Don't recall if it was factory or not, but it was a trap-style gun. I've seen similar forends on a few Brownings as well. Just FWIW. I'm far from an expert, but I'll hazard a guess that it's an attractive replacement buttstock. The flat cheeks look a little elongated, and the teardrops a little rounded. Don't get me wrong... that's a nice looking piece of wood on a great gun.
edwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote