Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #21
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

what a blast beycha need ear plugs for this one..really nice cannon..charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #22
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am blown away by that beautiful Model 97! After reading every word that Sherman Bell wrote about shooting damascus barrels I am confident in shooting mine with standard shells, but I do lean towards shells that produce no more than 10k cup. Nine is better yet.

Bell did his best to destroy Parker (other makers too) damascus barrels and he had a heck of a time to load one heavy enough to get it to blow and even then he had to jam an obstruction of some sort down the tube. I do shoot a lot of RST, but not because I have to.

It would be a treat to shoot that fine 97! Just holding it would be a joy.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #23
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

I would love to find one of those. I've heard there were only 5 made that way. One was owned by a celeb ( I can't remember his name, but he was featured hunting with it on some show).
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Franzen View Post
I would love to find one of those. I've heard there were only 5 made that way. One was owned by a celeb ( I can't remember his name, but he was featured hunting with it on some show).
I know of four Damascus barreled 97's. The two featured here, another a collector friend ran across & the one I just sent off to Bachelders for Brad to look over. I'm sure there are many more, but how many is anyones guess, it was an expensive upgrade for a technology that was on the way out at the time.

Charley,

After re-reading the text. Winchester said they proofed the barrels with 9 1/2 drams & the assembled gun at 4 1/2 drams. I assume they had some sort of test fixture they mounted just the barrels in and probably loaded the barrel full of powder & shot for the test charge. Just my guess !!
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #25
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

I read somewhere that every single Model 97 model 12 was a 2 3/4 inch gun. Is that true? Early model 12s were not, and I had to have a Nickle Steel gun's chamber lengthened some. I also had the forcing cone eased. I have not touched my 97.
Unread 01-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #26
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

thanks for the up date on the powder charge...that makes since to me now...maybe they used some of those long 6 inch 12 ga hulls i ve seen they would hold 9 1/2 drams of powder and 2 1/2 ounce of shot....any way a stout charge for sure and the 4 1/2 drams is a stout load too...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #27
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

According to Bell, the reason that damascus barrels got the rep for blowing up was that the first smokeless powders closely mimicked black in volume, so guys could reload their shell with smokeless using the BP scoop/equipment. Smokeless, again from Bell, first came out in 1863!

Then someone invented something like Unique, and when loaded to equal volume as black, a shell so loaded produced 80,000 cup. BOOM! In short, damascus barrels have always been plenty strong. The Brits have been re-proofing them for years!

Now, should we go around trying to blow up a damascus barrel? Nope, your off hand goes with it and maybe a few were poorly made. But I don't hesitate to shoot my GH with standard shells. It is full and full so I shoot RST spreaders in one tube and a standard shell in the other. Viola! I've got a full and modified gun!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #28
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
According to Bell, the reason that damascus barrels got the rep for blowing up was that the first smokeless powders closely mimicked black in volume, so guys could reload their shell with smokeless using the BP scoop/equipment. Smokeless, again from Bell, first came out in 1863!

Then someone invented something like Unique, and when loaded to equal volume as black, a shell so loaded produced 80,000 cup. BOOM! In short, damascus barrels have always been plenty strong. The Brits have been re-proofing them for years!

Now, should we go around trying to blow up a damascus barrel? Nope, your off hand goes with it and maybe a few were poorly made. But I don't hesitate to shoot my GH with standard shells. It is full and full so I shoot RST spreaders in one tube and a standard shell in the other. Viola! I've got a full and modified gun!
steve my 10 bore if choked M/F and agree about the ruggedness of good Damascus . I have done put about 40rds through my Damascus barrels and love em
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #29
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,612 Times in 2,667 Posts

Returning to the top for the person who asked if anyone has seen a composite barreled '97.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote