Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Muzzle Diameter Question - GH vs Repro
Unread 01-27-2021, 12:02 AM   #1
Paul Brannon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Muzzle Diameter Question - GH vs Repro

I have a Parker GH 12 ga that I acquired this year as well as a 12 ga Trojan and a Repro SS 12 ga. I was measuring the muzzle diameters of the them tonight and noticed that the Repro measures .723 and .726 and is marked MOD and IMP. When I measure the others they are .698 / .703 and .690/.706. The Trojan, according to the letter is Full/Mod but I am not sure about the GH. The actual measurements are not my concern necessarily but the difference between the older guns and the Repro is significant. Why would there be this much difference (i.e. Trojan MOD=.706 and Repro MOD=.723)?

I measured using an internal telescoping gauge and measured with micrometer so there could be some error in the actual numbers.

By comparison, I have a 20ga Repro and an Ithaca NID 20ga that have muzzle diameters that are almost identical.
Paul Brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2021, 03:19 AM   #2
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,076 Times in 382 Posts

There are a lot of variables that could come into play here, but most importantly the choke is not determined by the inside diameter at the muzzle, but rather by the amount of constriction from the bore diameter to the tightest part of the choke. Your measurements seem odd on the reproduction for the chokes listed. On the GH and Trojan, the actual bore diameters could be quite different between the two guns depending on the time period they were made. And of course chokes on older guns quite often have been opened up.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2021, 07:22 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

Further, the way a modern shotgun (Repro) patterns and tends to shoot tighter patterns with the modern loads with a plastic shot cup is vastly different from how early shotguns patterned with nothing but lead pellets travelling down the barrel with no protection and nothing to maintain the integrity of the charge. Shotgun chokes are designed for the shells/loads they are most likely to use.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
Paul Brannon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you, gentlemen. I understand about the choke being the amount of constriction from bore to minimum choke diameter and the GH and Trojan are close enough to account for my inaccuracy or a variation of the bore/constriction formula. I don't have a way to measure the actual bore diameter. I suppose I was just surprised that the Repro was so different. Dean, I hadn't considered the modern vs early differences in the way shells were constructed. Further, since this is a Steel Shot version it could be even further skewed in that regard.

Thank you for the responses. I am just getting my head wrapped around all of the intricacies of these guns since I acquired them earlier in 2020 along with an LC Smith and two Ithaca NIDs. Previously, I was only familiar with my O/U with screw in chokes.
Paul Brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Brannon For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

A Skeets type bore micrometer would be a good investment for the curious mind at about $140.00. Search on shotgunworld.com forums for a source.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2021, 01:27 PM   #6
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
A Skeets type bore micrometer would be a good investment for the curious mind at about $140.00. Search on shotgunworld.com forums for a source.
So would a couple of hours at a decent patterning board at measured yardages. I have gotten back into it lately after acquiring more guns than I owned at the time I was really spending a lot of time doing it (c. 1970s-80s). I can tell you, the results are really eye-opening and there are some real surprises. For instance, as Dean notes, plastic shells with poly shot cups tend to show tighter patterns, but the modern soft-wadded loads (felt-wad RST, Eley, etc.) consistently show better patterns with more even distribution at given ranges.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote