Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #21
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dan, it is entirely possible that the barrels are uncut. I own a DH 12 with 25" barrels and a DHE 16 with 24" barrels. Both guns letter at those lengths. Last month I bought an estate attic find leg of mutton case that included 12 ga VH 24" barrels and forend which had been part of a 2 barrel set. I don't know if these barrels letter as 24"or not but they look correct. All of these guns were "local" and sold at auction. Plus J Julia Auction sold a consecutive pair of GHE's this fall both with 24" barrels.
The point is short barrels and odd length barrels exist as they came from the factory and in my experience turn up more often than might be expected.
Still many many guns have shortened barrels for any number of reasons.
I encourage you to join the PGCA and order a letter for this gun. It certainly warrants a letter in this configuration.
Best regards,
Erick
Erick Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Dorr For Your Post:
Unread 11-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #22
John Havard
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dan, your profile doesn't say where you live. But there are PGCA members all over the USA. If you're close to one they might be able to help you evaluate your new gun.
Unread 11-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #23
DGL
Forum Associate

Member Info

It's not my gun, yet. I am trying to buy it. I was not in the market for a Parker gun, until this gun found me. I have a small collection of Winchester 101's and 23's which I enjoy hunting and shooting clays with, so little to no knowledge of Parker guns. I started to do some research which led me to this forum. Thanks to all for the helpful posts.
Dan Lowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #24
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I have two cut Parkers. A 24" PHE 16 that has no choke left but still has the keels in place that could be factory work. Only evidence to the contrary is that the front bead is not the typical hourglass type Parker bead. The other gun is a 26" GHE 12 1-frame that is clearly cut but letters from the factory at 26". I'm thinking they were cut to fill an order for a 26" GHE 12ga damascus gun.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #25
Jean Swanson
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,080 Times in 237 Posts

The PGCA has records on that gun----156670
Jean Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #26
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,318 Posts

Looking at wrist area cheek piece there appears a tear drop. Also an oval shield on bottom. This appears to be s restocked gun but you can correct me if I'm wrong. Dan if you're trying to buy this gun a letter would be a good investment. If the gun came from the factory the way it sits it would have additional value. No matter what, that's a great Parker and if you can get it do so. Let us know.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 11-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #27
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,539 Times in 4,621 Posts

No oval. its a shield. And no drop points. What you see is light reflecting off the end of the cheek panel. The only thing that i see off about the stock, suggesting a restock, is that the cheek panels are far more defined with sharp edges than they should be.
Unread 11-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #28
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,318 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. That's what happens when I try posting in the wee hours of the morning.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 11-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #29
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,069 Posts

Reminds me of Gene Hill's The Woodcock Gun. "...He must have been an independent Yankee cuss. I'll bet it was the only 24-inch side-by-side in all New England. There must have been some laughs and jokes around the cider mill when he first showed it off!"
Unread 11-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #30
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Phil, I will have to get a copy of that book but I assure you that the author had some company. My 25" DH was originally shipped to VT and ended up in Union ME with a family member. 24" DHE came from Camden. 24" VH barrels only, part of a 2 barrel set came off Vinalhaven but probably originated with last owners grandfather from Boston. New England apparently had its share of gunners that saw merit in short barrels.

Wednesday at a FL flea market I saw a Trojan 2 barrel set with barrels and forends both numbered 1 & 2. Serialization book lists it as a 28" without options but the 24" barrels and forend were both numbered to the rest of the gun. I couldn't be sure that the short barrels are original but the barrels touched with the rib matting running to the end of the barrels. At the same flea market got a rush from a VH 3 fr with 32" barrels. I thought I had discovered a 10 ga VH but it turned out to be a 12 ga 3 fr. Gun was rough so I didn't follow up on it.
Erick

On Wednesday I saw a
Erick Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote