Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 12-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #11
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

When Brian Dudley see's this he will,I hope, give you the answer to your problem.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #12
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
When Brian Dudley see's this he will,I hope, give you the answer to your problem.
Who is this man Dudley of whom you speak? : ) I hope so too! I'll tell you, I love how this gun is just "there" and light but not whippy. I want to try to get it sorted out and would hate to have to send it back.
Andrew Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sacco For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2019, 10:01 PM   #13
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

A search of this forum will tell you about Mr.Dudley.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #14
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

I searched. I will wait. Thank you.
Unread 12-29-2019, 12:23 AM   #15
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,568 Times in 372 Posts

As described, You have a Parker single trigger problem that is common in Reproductions. Historically this is due to a gummed up action or prior shoddy work on the trigger. When it is clean and untouched it works fine. When it is dirty or has had previous poor work it does not. Does the screws on your gun's floor plate show they have been turned? If you are keeping the gun then the first thing I would do is to remove the trigger guard and floor plate and have a look. If you do not want to be a DIY Parker owner then return it to the seller and tell them the trigger does not work and to make the trigger work as expected or refund your money. There are lots of Parker reproductions for sale where you should expect it to work

PML
Patrick Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Lien For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Would the administrators move this thread to the "Parker Reproductions" subforum to get more exposure? Thanks.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #17
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Careful with talking about firing the gun a dozen times or more on an inspection period. Traditionally inspection periods are considered “no shooting”. Unless it is clear between you and the seller on that point, they may have an issue with it being shot.

Though I appreciate the thought that I may have the answer to your issue, I cannot say that I do. I do have a good working knowledge of the Parker gun and its parts, but when it comes down to it, I am a stock maker who gets into mechanical work as needed. And I do not consider myself a single trigger mechanic by any means.

It does not make much sense to me that the trigger works fine dry, but not when live firing.
Yes, a general inspection and cleaning is the first step in trying to sort out issues like this.

In regards to returning the gun, if you like the Repro 28g then that is great news. The guns were pretty much all built the same, so the feel and fit of another one should be the same as the one you have. And there are a lot on the market to choose from by way of condition , wood figure and price.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 12-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #18
Dan
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you decide to continue with test firing another suggestion would be to hold the safety in the off position when you fire the first barrel, just in the event that that it is engaging with recoil.
Daniel B Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #19
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

The dealer is closed until next week so I'll post a follow up then. Thanks for all the advice.
Unread 01-01-2020, 04:58 PM   #20
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

UPDATE. By the way Brian (and thank you) I did have the OK to fire the gun. They are closed this week but responded to me via email. They are fine taking the gun back but will also pay for a repair, whichever I prefer. While there are some small cosmetic issues, the price I paid is about $2,000 less than what others are even listed or asked for. Spoke to Dan May at Miller and he was very helpful so it seems I can keep it and fix it or return it. Some more information: while testing if I fire, IF I PUSH THE TRIGGER FORWARD THEN THE SECOND BARREL FIRES without having to re-engage the safety with live or snap caps. Dan May said "something is not playing nice" but he's sure it can be fixed. Decisions... HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone. Thank you for the advice, I'm very new to Parkers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sacco For Your Post: