Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 02-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #51
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I bought a MEC 600 Jr. when I was sixteen. Cheaper shells had nothing to do with my decision to reload. Back in the early 60’s it was getting hard to find shells without shot protectors. The shots I took at paper indicated that they tightened patterns in my VH 20 bore. The only way I could get enough shells without shot protectors was to load my own. The coverts I hunted were especially thick with fox grapes, overgrown apple orchards and bayberry bushes. I needed as open a pattern as I could get.

I’ve reloaded ever since. I’ve moved on from the MEC 600 Jr. because I went to progressive machines for volume loading. But it is one great loader for someone beginning to reload. The biggest plus to reloading is that you can get exactly the load you want. Try finding the 12 bore old pigeon and trap load of 1 ¼ oz. of shot at 1200 fps. The 12 bore shines with this load for turkeys, late season pheasants, ducks and geese. I now use 12 bore load of 1 1/8 oz. at 1200 fps with Bismuth for ducks and it does a wonderful job. I would be lost if I didn’t reload.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #52
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

For years, I hadn't loaded a shell because I was buying 12 and 20 for about four bucks a box and had enough .410s and 28 loaded to last a lifetime. However, when I relocated (only four miles), four years ago, rather than store my loaders, I lined them up in my new loading room and I've been reloading ever since. I have PW 800Bs in 2 3/4" 12, 20, and 28, a 2 1/2" PW 375 12, and PW 375s in 16 and 10 and a MEC Versamec in ten. I load 8 gauge without a press. Not a bad setup for a guy who doesn't reload and is almost out of shot anyway.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #53
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
How many use 9's for 1: Sporting Clays, 2: Trap, 3: Skeet? I imagine more on skeet than anything else. I've been an 8's guy for any clay discipline, and don't shoot trap or skeet so take that for what it's worth : ) But I'm reading that Performance Clays reloading manual from BP and they talk about all sorts of different loads for different targets. I'm lucky if I can find my shells when I show up let alone have multiple loads at my fingertips.
If I've got 9's on hand when I start loading something I load 9's for skeet in all gauges . Also 9's for early dove but then again I go dove shooting so little anymore thats a kinda moot point .

In my mid period when I wasn't shooting competitively and had started loading and shooting again I loaded almost nothing but 8's and to be honest I'd have no issue with 8's for all the games dove and quail .

In recent years I've slowly grown a regard for 7 1/2's at the excercise in futiity (sporting and 5 stand) .

Also been using 7 1/2's and 6's for the tower euro shoot stuff .

Don't ask me why but in the last month or so I got a bag of 7's when I ordered shot . Not exactly sure why but what the hell I can try them on targets and or pheasents .
Unread 02-06-2021, 03:46 PM   #54
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Andy, next time you are here I’ll show you my set up. 650 Jr presses for specialty length shells in 10, 12,16,20,28 and .410 along with a Lee press for black powder and a Spolar progressive for standard length 12,20,28 and .410 if I need volume. I can load anything from large ITX and TSS non-tox right up through #10 and #12 lead. Spreaders in every gauge. I am set up to roll crimp too. If that’s not enough take three steps over and we load metallic cartridges too. 😁😎
Your infection with this disease may be worse than my own

I've not been the Spolar route but I was and still am eaten up with the PW is the Rolls Royce of loaders . Sadly my only PW loader anymore is my main rifle loader .

I kinda did this ass backwards from most folks ! I started with PW 800's then sold them when I quit competing . Later when i wanted to get back into shotgun loading I started buying MEC stuff . A lot was used but some was new it's kinda hard finding a used 9000 in 16 gauge LOL's !
Unread 02-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #55
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
I see the MEC Jr is a popular press. I started with an RCBS Rock Chucker and it's been great. I like simple. And besides, a bank of MEC Jr's look cool to boot. Thank you everyone!
I'm no great admirer of MEC products !

However I have MEC single stage loaders for 8 , 10 , 12 , 16 , 20 , 28 and 410 . Obviousley for the 8 and 10 they used for everything . Nut in the other gauges they're used for buckshot , slugs and punkin balls .

For the 12 , 16 , 20 , 28 and 410 I have atleast one 9000 in each gauge . In a couple I have duplicates . If they come in the shop at the right price or with components I want they get purchased . Worse come to worse they can be spare parts .
Unread 02-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #56
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

Kind of a moot point, there's nothing out there to buy. And it won't get any better if HR127 gets any traction.
Unread 02-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #57
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
And then some people drink while they are reloading. I know because I shoot with one or two of them.
I never drink while reloading or twenty four hours before I fly. But I do have the ever present pipe in my mouth when reloading. I know it’s probably foolish, but I've been doing it for many years without a problem. Which isn't to say that tomorrow I might get into trouble.

I had a friend, now deceased, that used to take a flask with him when he flew his J-5 cub. We all tried to talk him out of it but to no avail. He was a second lieutenant and the Captain of a bomber in WWII. He was shot down over Germany on his 47th mission during the war and spent two years in a prisoner of war camp in Bavaria. I guess he still thought he was invincible.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #58
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
I never drink while reloading or twenty four hours before I fly. But I do have the ever present pipe in my mouth when reloading. I know it’s probably foolish, but I've been doing it for many years without a problem. Which isn't to say that tomorrow I might get into trouble.

I had a friend, now deceased, that used to take a flask with him when he flew his J-5 cub. We all tried to talk him out of it but to no avail. He was a second lieutenant and the Captain of a bomber in WWII. He was shot down over Germany on his 47th mission during the war and spent two years in a prisoner of war camp in Bavaria. I guess he still thought he was invincible.
Your post brought back an old memory. A good friend of mine who passed away a few years ago, he was the man who introduced me to Parker shotguns, was at one time a cigarette smoker. He smoked while he was reloading, until, he had a one pound can of FFg black powder go up. A full fire department response, a ride in ambulance but only minor injuries. He was lucky.
Unread 02-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #59
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

An Air force pilot who showed up in our deer camp one year claimed "I never smoke within 24 hours, or drink within 25 feet of the airplane". He didn't draw a sober breath the whole camp.
The only worthwhile thing he did was give us an outstanding recipe for a sweet hot mustard which I still use today
Unread 02-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #60
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

I, too, regularly have a pipe in my mouth while loading, but my 600jr spills powder each time I drop the shot and the powder keeps landing in my glass, so I don’t drink and load anymore. In 45 years of using 600jrs, I’ve never double dropped a powder charge. The old Lyman press was not a safe press because they used separate charge bars.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: