Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

SST questiion.
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Donovan Kirkpatrick
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default SST questiion.

I just got an A-1 Special in 12 ga. SN 12-04X. Did the first few A-1 Specials have inertia triggers. Mine sure acts like one. I can put snap caps in my DHE 12ga. Reproduction and pull the trigger and get a click each time. I do not get that second hammer fall in the A-1 unless I tap the butt lightly and at the pull of the trigger, the hammer falls perfectly. Works that way whether I use the left bbl or right bbl first. Can not shoot for another 3 months so have not taken it out to the range yet
Donovan Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Okay, nobody else wants to go there, so I guess I will. If you take an overview of single trigger systems over the years in many different brands and designs, it opens a controversy over mechanical and inertial. Many mechanical trigger designs are actually inertial. The primary sear must disengage to allow the trigger to contact the secondary sear. The motion of the trigger travel is often enough "inertia" to reset. In some cases the primary sear will hang up and not clear without additional inertia, inthis case the effects of recoil will usually cause the trigger to reset. If it does not then the sear contact surfaces need to be adjusted. Of all of the sst designs out there, I would have to rate the Parker system as one of the most reliable designs. Iam confident that your A-1 will reset and work just fine. If not the repair is a minor adjustment.

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post:
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 03-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

First I've ever heard of a Repro SST with that issue, I'd have it looked at. Nobody better than Brad for that in my estimation.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Fuller For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

I would bet its dry and sticky with old lub....has not been used mutch in 20+ years and may need a good scrub...thanks all SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just to continue Brad's comment about inertia triggers, even the widely accepted "mechanical" triggers almost all have some kind of inertia weight that functions as a lock or blocker to prevent the second sear from being tripped during the recoil phase.

In my little experience, most single triggers fall into two catagories: inertia blocked triggers and inertia switched triggers.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Donovan Kirkpatrick
Forum Associate

Member Info

I had that thought Kenny. I think if it shoots properly, I am not going to mess with it. Candidly, I am reluctant to send it off anywhere. I kind of sit here hugging it to my chest thinking "mine, mine, mine". Childish I know but that is the way I feel. Is there someone in Texas who can do the cleaning or whatever. I have had an experience wih someone who did not know what they were doing with an AYA side lock. Do not wish to repeat that. Would spraying some G96 up around the trigger/safety help?
Donovan Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think Kenny has a good point too. You might try a few rounds spraying some solvent in the slots by the trigger and letting it drain out.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Shoot it. If it works, don't do anything. Squirting stuff up in there serves no purpose if the gun is working. Brad and Chuck are right. Some mechanical triggers with an inertia block sometimes will not function at dry fire. Some inertia triggers are set light enough that they can be dry fired successfully, but they are still inertia triggers by design. My Beretta is an original factory inertia trigger, but I can go click, click without banging on the butt. It has been adjusted to work with .410 shells but was not converted to mechanical.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
SST Question
Unread 03-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Richard Skeuse
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default SST Question

We did not have inerta block triggers. I think there is dirt or old grease making it stick. Have you shot the gun and if so did the shells eject properly?I personally would send the gun ,if it were mine,to Chris Maist at Clay Target Sports in Princeton,NJ. Phone number is 609-921-9358. Chris has workes on Parker Reproductions in the past. I hiope this helps
Richard Skeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Richard Skeuse For Your Post:
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:47 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Chris Maest is a factory trained Krieghoff mechanic now out on his own. He has been working on my Krieghoffs for many years. Thanks for letting us know that he works on Parker Reproductions.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote