Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Parker Reproduction 12 ga. Chokes
Unread 03-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Jerry McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker Reproduction 12 ga. Chokes

Hello,

I'm inspecting a Parker Repro 12 ga. 2 barrel set and have just measured the chokes which are reported to be as they were when shipped and one set is measuring on the more open side. The 28" bbls are marked Full and Mod but the Mod choke is measuring .010, or IC. The left barrel marked Full does, however, measure right at .035, or Full. The bore diameter is .735 in all tubes on both sets. Furthermore, I can actually see and feel where the choke begins about 2" from the muzzle in each barrel so I'm thinking they are original chokes. The 26" barrels are marked IC and Mod and the IC barrel measures .008 - also a bit on the open side... but closer to factory designations from the factory as the left barrel measures .011.

I'm curious to know if others have barrels with similarly more open chokes than the factory designations. I'm a bit disappointed as I would really prefer that the 28" barrels were truly Mod/Full rather than IC/Full.

Thanks in advance for any insights or opinions.

Jerry
Jerry McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a 28" mod/full that I'm sure hasn't been jacked with and it measures from the muzzle end .735, .035, .012 with constriction starting right at 2.5". I love this gun for pheasants. Sounds to me like a nice set up you have there (you can pattern it but then you'll just rip your hair out counting pellets). If the guns fits you, keep it, learn to shoot it. I hear the most beefing about these guns being choked too tight.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Jerry McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dave - I'm going to measure again where the chokes begin to see if they start back at closer to 2.5" from the muzzle. Given the concensus on tighter chokes, I suspect that these barrels may have been opened up as it is a full .010" off of Mod.

That said, everything else is beautiful...

Regards,
Jerry
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jerry, same with mine, about .011 and .035 if I remember.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Jerry McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chris - Are you the original owner of your gun? If not, do you know that the chokes are original?

I'm not sure about my barrels as the person I bought the gun from just was just re-selling it and doesn't have contact with its original owner any longer.

-Jerry
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm not the original owner, but these are common measurements for these guns. There are alot of reproductions for sale, and if you look the dimensions they are all within a few thousandths. These choke constrictions seem to vary from the normal standard a bit, but are very consistant among the reproduction guns. There is also alot of question about the mod/full chokes in the 28 ga. guns, but they shoot very well. I hope this puts your mind at ease, I have little/no doubt that your barrels are as they left the factory. Don't worry about it, it'll take away from your enjoyment.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Jerry McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks again Chris for the good information and good advice. I'm just going to to shoot and enjoy.
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jerry,
For an upland gun, that combination can be great.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote