Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 02-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

I hate my single trigger... it is just too darn stiff. Can't imagine why there was ever thought to be a need for such a confounded gizmo!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean, I thought my trigger was heavy too. But I think mine is just the way it feels because of how narrow the trigger is.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I should have been clearer Chuck. My trigger pull is okay for me - it's the sliding selector switch that is so terribly stiff and hard to move. I've used the gun a lot and it hasn't freed up much at all.
Unread 02-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #14
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

That's stunning wood for a Repro. Love it. About as nice as I've seen on any repro. I would soooo like to remove the finish from mine and give it a nice oil finish.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

It's easy to do Richard, go ahead and do it. A nice oil finish adds so much character that the original shiny plastic finish does not, in my opinion.
Unread 02-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

I have been told by Jack Skues that aprox 50% had DT....If all 3500 28ga guns were bilt that would be 17-1800 guns That tells me folks love their DT repro's!!! I have been collecting DT repro's for several years now and have paid all the money at the time in past deals...but guess what...? I could not replace them for that amount in todays market...(-: Even if I use them for a while they will still would bring back all I paid and some...Great guns, good investments and its something you can hold in your hands other than Gov't paper. Im still looking for 12ga model steel shot spl or sporting clays with PG-DT 14 1/4 pull....and any B grades with DT...thanks all SXS ohio....(-:
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

I've said it before, but it may be time to say it again. Mr. Skeuse is a hero in the modern gunmaking business. He did what "couldn't be done". Of course, there are other heroes like Steve Lamboy and Tony Galazan, but the Skeuse project was the rare successful venture carried out by someone with no gun background other than emotion about a brand. I am thankful that Skeuse had enough money to carry it through to completion. I only own one Repro, but it is the holy grail. I am only lacking a set of .410 barrels. Maybe the Galazan project will end my search.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #18
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I had my 28 refinished a couple of years ago by Jack Haugh. Jack told me some of the repro stocks took stain better than others - that was the only tough part about refinishing them.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #19
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

Early on I perchased a repro close-out from Jaquas. It was my first Parker gun and had the SST. I have hunted with SXS with DT and also pumps,autoes and over unders. I do not have any problem knowing the operation of the trigger types when hunting. The problem with the repro's SST is its to hard to change at moments notice in hunting situations. I may still buy one of them hard to find 12ga. models that I can't find with DT and drill a small hole in that switch and install a small roll pin. This would give me something to get hold of to move it quickly. Would also go inside and find out why its so hard to move? If this issue could be fixed I would not mind the SST feature. Its a good trigger system that works...it does have to be kept clean and free of dried up oil. 99% of doubleing is due to gumed up trigger parts. Its not easy to get inside a repro...them trigger plate screws can be very tight and froze. Only perfectly fitted screw driver tips hand made to fit each screw if necessary and a very carfull hand! Thanks all SXS ohio...(-:
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 02-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #20
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Kenny,
Like you, I have no problem going back and forth with double or single triggers. I do it often when hunting and range shooting in the same day. I think both types offer something. I actually prefer a single trigger for some hunting conditions where I hunt valley quail. The terrain is steep razorback hills with lots of cover. A super fast second shot is sometimes worth a bird. I'm pretty quick on a 2 trigger, but sometimes not quick enough. Often, I don't think about it one way or the other. I find myself worried more about weight, overall length, gauge, and choke, than trigger arrangement. The gun has what it has.

As for single trigger selectors, I haven't used one that is worth messing with when a shot presents itself. The 'usual' situation I (and probably most) encounter, is when the trigger is set to the more open choked barrel and a bird presents itself further out than we think the open choke barrel is capable of. I shoot with the open choked barrel and follow up with the tighter barrel if necessary. The only style SST that I've seen that made sense to play with barrel selection was the Win 21/SKB style with the selector at your trigger fingertip, requiring only a push to the left. But, I don't own any of those guns.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote