Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #31
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Thanks for the pictures.

A very interesting gun to say the least. It's only my opinion, but I think it is worth well north of the two grand your club buddies valued it at. If it were mine I would get one of the professional stock repair guys to stabalize the crack in the wrist by the top tang.

One other thing I find of interest is the barrels. In the picture showing the muzzle end. Is that a band of a different type of Damscus right at the muzzle on the right barrel? It looks different than the rest of the barrel. Maybe Drew or Brad can weigh in on this one.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #32
Dane Atkinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ehlers View Post
Thanks for the pictures.

A very interesting gun to say the least. It's only my opinion, but I think it is worth well north of the two grand your club buddies valued it at. If it were mine I would get one of the professional stock repair guys to stabalize the crack in the wrist by the top tang.

One other thing I find of interest is the barrels. In the picture showing the muzzle end. Is that a band of a different type of Damscus right at the muzzle on the right barrel? It looks different than the rest of the barrel. Maybe Drew or Brad can weigh in on this one.
I think it is a slight pitting. IMO
DaneRAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #33
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Is that a Patent date stamped into the wood immediately behind the grip cap? It looks like it from here. That would be for the patented hickory reinforcing rod inserted from the butt through the wrist into the head of the stock.

Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #34
Dane Atkinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Is that a Patent date stamped into the wood immediately behind the grip cap? It looks like it from here. hat would be for the patented hickory reinforcing rod inserted from the butt through the wrist into the head of the stock.

Bill, If I am looking where you describe. The plastic black circle cap on the stock. There are no numbers stamped on the wood.
DaneRAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #35
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Really? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me....
Unread 09-26-2017, 08:02 PM   #36
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,430 Times in 1,647 Posts

Dean I thought you may be interested I bought this gun from Dean Atkinson off the PGCA site. You were correct the stock is stamped with the patient date for the hickory rod! I added some stock finish and replaced the pad (first pad replacement on a curved butt gun). The barrels are sound .731/.731, .038/.039 chokes and .031/.031 min walls, 2 7/8" chambers as per the letter. Plan to have B. Dudley replace the side action screws and lightly re-cut the splinter checkering and touch up the butt stock checkering borders. Shot the gun and it functions perfectly. Edgar I reversed the trigger plate screws and they align. Cool Parker that will clean up very well in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0015resized.jpg (111.7 KB, 11 views)
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 09-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #37
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanks Craig - I thought so.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Unread 09-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #38
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Without any provenance at all the gun should bring 3-3.5K as a DH shooter. Fixing the wrist crack would cost maybe $3-400 at The Stock Doctor. The screws are purely cosmetic, you might or might not want to address them. No idea what that would cost. The provenance brings it into another realm, per Mr. Murphy's comments. If you shoot trap at all, I would fix it and keep it. If not, somebody else might enjoy it more, unless you're into closet queens. JMHO.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #39
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,430 Times in 1,647 Posts

Since this gun was fitted with the hickory rod I am not concerned with a 3/8" crack coming off the bottom radius of the tang, but I will be guided by Brian Dudley. Four action screws will be replaced, the checkering will be lightly re-cut. I will have much less in $3K in the gun. I plan to shoot it at clays and ducks. It's just a great Parker and an example of a special order gun with many unusual features. What fun!!!
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post: