Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

.410 Repro Ejectors
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Pittypatdugan
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default .410 Repro Ejectors

This has been my experience with the new .410 CSC Barrels as far as shooting and shell ejection. The chambers are very tight, only new shells and specially re sized reloads will seat correctly. I shot some reloads made from a MEC grabber that would not go into the chambers. I then used some old shells re sized in an old mec 600 and they worked fine so that tells me that the collect needs adjustment on the grabber. Even shooting new shells very few would eject correctly. I used 0000 steel wool on a brass brush and polished the chambers but no help. The shells are elevated enough to easily remove, being pushed out 1/2 inch. Most shells not usable in the Parker could be easily shot in a Browning 525 .410 and ejected.

What is your advice to make the ejection better?

thanks in advance

PDD
Pat Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Have you consulted with CSMC yet? If not, that's what I'd do.
410 barrels
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Richard Skeuse
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 410 barrels

Hi guys what does the top rib look like and is there any name on tha barrels? thanks
Richard Skeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

No matter who made them I'd be taking a micrometer to the chambers and comparing them to the standards. If they aren't as they should be CSMC should remedy the situation. If they wouldn't do it I'd get a chamber reamer from Clymer in Michigan and do it myself. I got a very nicely made 12 ga rim recess reamer from them a few yrs back.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,871 Times in 4,755 Posts

If new shells work OK, your collet is not tight enough. I had one Model 42 Winchester that would not take MEC loaded shells, no matter what I did to the collet. I went to the PW 800B that sizes shells in a full length sizer and had no further problems. I wouldn't mess with the chambers if they will take new shells. A good resizer should bring your shells back to new dimensions. Keep the new shells you shoot in this gun separate when you load. That may solve the problem.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You're right Bill. I must have missed that new shells worked ok.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Dugan View Post
This has been my experience with the new .410 CSC Barrels as far as shooting and shell ejection. The chambers are very tight, only new shells and specially re sized reloads will seat correctly. I shot some reloads made from a MEC grabber that would not go into the chambers. I then used some old shells re sized in an old mec 600 and they worked fine so that tells me that the collect needs adjustment on the grabber. Even shooting new shells very few would eject correctly. I used 0000 steel wool on a brass brush and polished the chambers but no help. The shells are elevated enough to easily remove, being pushed out 1/2 inch. Most shells not usable in the Parker could be easily shot in a Browning 525 .410 and ejected.

What is your advice to make the ejection better?

thanks in advance

PDD
I've hi-lited in red what he said.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Pittypatdugan
PGCA Member

Member Info

Even with new 2 1/2 Winchester AA HS the gun would not eject the shells. Out of 25 maybe three ejected from the left barrel. This did not bother me so much as I catch the shells in most sXs to keep from picking them up, but I would like it to work correctly. I am to measure the chambers tomorrow with a micrometer. I was told that even at factories as a reamer gets older it begins to dull and cut a smaller chamber. What do you think is an acceptable measurement.

PS the 28 ga barrels eject 28 ga shells correctly

PDD
Pat Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pat,
The drawing shows the cartridge on top and the chamber below. If it's not readable, I'll email it to you.

Minimum dia at the back of the chamber is .476" and .458 at the front end.

Yes, most manufacturers will continue to use a reamer after it begins to dull. My Beshi NID copy had really tight chambers, clearly from a over used and probably resharpened chamber reamer. I bought a Clymer reamer "drilled it out" and life was good again. I also lengthened my forcing cones with a thing Bill calls a drill but is really a custom made reamer I had a friend in the cutter industry make for me. It cuts a 3" long forcing cone in a .410. Then I polish the hell out of the forcing cone. If I ever get my barrels from CSM, I'll lengthen the cones (to reduce recoil of course) as soon as I ensure they are fitted and functioning correctly.

Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Nice. From Clymer I see. Is that showing a diameter of .4811" just in front of the extractor rim Chuck? I wouldn't hesitate to use their chamber reamer if I needed it. The reamer I got from Clymer cut barrel steel cleanly and like butter. They are good and not far from where I grew up.