Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Fox - Parker comparison
Unread 05-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #11
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,242 Times in 445 Posts

Default Fox - Parker comparison

As I have just finished restocking a Fox-Parker,(bottom gun) thought I would provide pictures for comparison. The Parker is a 2 Frame, by my direct measurements the Fox action tangs are a bit longer, about 1/2". The action length measured from breach face to end of the knuckle is essentially identical. Breach width is almost identical. The for-end tang on the Fox is longer by about 3/8" and as you can see the latch sits forward a bit. Picture for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fox-ParkerComp (2).jpg (518.0 KB, 8 views)
Unread 05-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
RickR
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks again all. I'm especially glad Bruce chimed in. To the action length and Parker copy thoughts, yes when I was going through the old photos, there was a shot of my gun rack from 1976, and my first thought was "I don't remember that Parker" then oops, it was my Philly "B". If I could figure out how to get an old B/W photo to print here, that picture also shows my early "A", and the different length of the longer action on the Philly gun is very obvious and its easy to see why the AH Fox action weighs less than a like sized Parker.

Aside, mine has the J spring forend, and one of the known issues was the seller said the forend was a little loose. (This is gonna feel great if the problem and my fix isn't known.) The forend iron was bent slightly and so would rock a bit when the J spring pushes the tang tight against the barrel lug (it was very easy to miss the problem as the bend can't be seen with the wood in place. I only caught it because I attacked the problem with the forend wood removed.) While the forend iron's tang is pretty massive, the cut out for the J spring makes it weak at that spot and easier to bend, but also easier to straighten. A couple of raps with the tang spread across open vise jaws did the trick.

RickR
Rick Rappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #13
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

There were some early Lefevers with the recessed hinge pin, and several of the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. doubles had a slightly recessed hinge pin.

There was just a bit of drama over Parker Bros. Trojan Grade's forearm fastening --

233527 02.jpg

233527 04.jpg

being a patent infringement of the A.H. Fox Gun Co.'s Patent No. 1,029,374 granted to J.C. Kremer & A.H. Fox on June 11, 1912. After the A.H. Fox Gun Co. quit using the Baker J-spring forearm on their The Sterlingworth Company guns, and the Sterlingworth became an A.H. Fox Gun Co. gun, they went to using the J.C. Kremer & A.H. Fox forearm fastening on their extractor Sterlingworths and their extractor small-bores of all grades.

200158 01.jpg

They used their F.T. Russell Patent No. 1,029,229 forearm fastening on their ejector Sterlingworths and their ejector small-bores of all grades.

200067-06.jpg

200067-07.jpg

Several decades ago, before I was quite so focused on this historical minutia, Babe DelGrego showed me a file of letters he had between Parker Bros. and A.H. Fox Gun Co. about this. Unfortunately I don't recall any details of the letters, but we know that the A.H. Fox eventually quit using their J.C. Kremer & A.H. Fox type fastening and went to using the F.T. Russel style on both extractor and ejector guns.

94509 03.jpg

94509 04.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 05-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

I have a Model 21 with a snap on forend, but by 1930, I think all the forend attachment drama was over. But then, why didn't Winchester stay with the snap forend if it could have saved them some money. The Model 21 was a $57.50 gun, or less, at its introduction. Saving a buck or two on each gun would have meant something.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #15
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,586 Times in 385 Posts

I have never seen a model 21 with a snap on forearm? I know the early ones had a slightly different release.
Unread 05-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #16
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,556 Posts

Don't know the proper term, but I find the roller-type latch on my M21's awkward
Unread 05-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #17
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,586 Times in 385 Posts

The model 21 latch is different and it takes getting used too.