Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #21
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,918 Times in 1,432 Posts

Yes Patrick that is the one.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 05-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #22
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,789 Times in 651 Posts

I bought a vhe 36" 12 ga off this website about 3 yrs ago.
Jeff Kuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #23
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

Bill Mullins, the 40" 16 gauge G grade came out of Shenandoah Guns in Berryville, VA. Judging from the time it was there, decades ago, it probably came from the General Billy Mitchell estate, which the shop was selling off at the time. If it was in fact the same gun, the barrels were Vulcan steel. Ben Toxvard would not sell me the gun, but a few years later, he relented and sold me his Curtis try gun, which was owned by Colonel Townsend Whelen.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #24
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Interesting reading, you guys obviously have a lot of fun and are living right!
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred Greeson For Your Post:
Unread 05-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #25
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Bill Mullins, the 40" 16 gauge G grade came out of Shenandoah Guns in Berryville, VA. Judging from the time it was there, decades ago, it probably came from the General Billy Mitchell estate, which the shop was selling off at the time. If it was in fact the same gun, the barrels were Vulcan steel. Ben Toxvard would not sell me the gun, but a few years later, he relented and sold me his Curtis try gun, which was owned by Colonel Townsend Whelen.
I was told Whelen had an intrest in that shop as more of a silent partner . A few years ago I met an older fellow in Culpeper that was big into single shot rifles . His two favorite cartridges were the Hornet and the R2 Lovell . He had a really awesome 03 Springfield in the Lovell cartridge I tried and tried to get as R F Sedgley had built the gun but I digress . The fellow at the time had an 1878 Sharps that was in 22 Blue Streak , if I’m not mistaken that was a 22 HiPower with refinements and necked back from .228 to .224 anyway he said he got it at Shenandoah Gunworks and it was a Whelen owned gun . He wouldn’t sell that one either , it was kinda neat in that it came with a period wooden tool box filled with loading tools for that gun . But then of the 40-50 guns of this type he owned I’d say over half of them had been purchased with period loading tools . The gentleman is gone now and I never got a gun from him but I did buy all his bullet molds . In his molds were a couple Ideal adjustable Perfection molds , I sold one of them right away and covered my cost with a few dollars left over . He had thirty or forty sealed G&H boxes of 22-3000 new primed brass , but it was so old it had gotten brittle but it still would’ve been of use to a cartridge collector .
Unread 05-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #26
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I suppose thirty years ago Jerry Amos told my pop about a 16 gauge Parker at Clark Brothers that was 34 or 36 inches . They had called Jerry to see if he wanted it the gun was never made available to the public in the shop and after he turned it down it was sent to Terrell Texas the following day .
Unread 05-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #27
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Craig, the comment about my try gun being previously owned by Colonel Whelen, was meant to mean that the gun was used by stockmakers at Parker-Whelen in Washington, D.C., not to imply that Colonel Whelen had any ownership at Shenendoah Guns. Colonel Whelen's gunsmith moved to Berryville when Parker-Whelen closed and brought the try gun with him and apparently did some work for Ben Toxvard, who ended up owning the try gun.
Unread 05-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #28
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Craig, the comment about my try gun being previously owned by Colonel Whelen, was meant to mean that the gun was used by stockmakers at Parker-Whelen in Washington, D.C., not to imply that Colonel Whelen had any ownership at Shenendoah Guns. Colonel Whelen's gunsmith moved to Berryville when Parker-Whelen closed and brought the try gun with him and apparently did some work for Ben Toxvard, who ended up owning the try gun.
The old guy in Culpeper had said Whelen had an intrest in the shop . That’s why I said he supposedly was connected .
Unread 05-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #29
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ben always referred to the gunsmith who brought the try gun to his shop as "the old man up on the mountain". The old man lived behind the shop "up on the mountain". I know the supposed man he refers to, an ex gunsmith from Parker-Whelen, but I won't name him because I'm not 100% sure. Now that Michael Petrov and Ben Toxvard are both gone, I have no one to ask.
Unread 05-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #30
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill, sad to have the old timers go. I once met an old German gunsmith through a close friend. He told the story of when John Browning came to him and they worked most of the night getting the bugs out of the new A5 action. You never will forget those special conversations, I think that is why I enjoy being a part of this organization, good folks. Appreciating Parkers and others like say a 71 Winchester and the story of how Keith and Whelen and others worked to persuade Winchester to build one more lever gun, just classic stuff from the masters and we are the benefactors of their wisdom.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Greeson For Your Post: