Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Question
Unread 04-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #1
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

Default Question

On my 12 ga VHE, when the gun is broken open there is considerable play side to side. However when closed it is tight as a drum with no play or looseness at all.

Should I have it looked at and possible roll pin replaced?
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
nid-28
PGCA Member

Member Info

How is it when the gun is closed and the forearm is off the gun? Is there movement? When you hold the gun up to the light, can you see any light between the end of the barrels and the standing breech? What you discover on these two areas will have a bearing on what needs to be done, if anything.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Davis For Your Post:
Unread 04-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bill, I will check right now and report back. Thanks for the tip
Unread 04-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bill, with the forearm off the gun locks up tight, no play or any movement and absolutely no daylight at the breech face. So, does that mean there is no issue? No need to replace the pin or anything?
Unread 04-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Any graded Parker (or graded Fox for that matter) that has seen any real use over the years will be somewhat loose on the hook when the gun is open. This is due to the style of the forends on these guns. The gun being tight on the hook when open relies on there being a very tight fit between the forend iron and the back of the forend lug. So that the forend iron has pressure against the knuckle of the frame to maintain tightness on the hook. As the gun is opened and closed thousands of times and with use, this surface between the iron and the back of the forend lug wears. It can be easily restored if the wear is minimal and I have observed many examples of how the factory did this. However, it is not something that HAS to be addressed unless it is very bad and is very worn. It is normal wear on these guns.

Back to what I originally said. I said GRADED parkers and foxes. This is because the Trojans and Sterlingworths used spring loaded plunger type snap-on forends. Though these are considered to be cheaper and not as attractive looking. They are actually superior in the fact that the spring plunger used maintains pressure on the forend against the knuckle of the frame. Thus minimizing movement on the hook when the gun is open. One will usually not notice looseness on the hook (or very minimal) on Trojans or Sterlingworths. Nearly all other American doubles (with a few exceptions) utilize some sort of spring to retain the forends on the guns.

On a Prototype Parker the I own which was James P. Hayes' experimental piece for new ideas on the Parker Gun. It actually has a plunger that he made and built into the graded forend to be able to solve this issue on graded guns. It is proof positive that he acknowledged the shortcomings in the Parker patent style forend latch.
Unread 04-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thank you very much Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 04-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
nid-28
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sounds like you’re good to go.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,782 Times in 4,717 Posts

I could tell you about a fellow at a local club who was inspecting my AHE trap a long time ago, when I was not yet into my forties. He was into English guns and said that my (wonderful) 32" AHE trap was worn out and falling apart, and a "sackajawaya" as they say on outlaw talk radio. It had the same looseness when open as your gun does. I am not inclined to build up the hook, so I have been shooting and enjoying the gun as is for close to forty years. By the way, the insulting inspector is probably still "away" because of some dealings in questionable substances. None of his friends know of the location of his English guns. Thanks for Brian's information.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

As per the norm, Brian’s information is well worth the membership cost here. Thanks to Brian for taking the time to share his knowledge.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: