Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

My first Parkers after years of wanting one
Unread 04-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Default My first Parkers after years of wanting one

Well my first Parker Bros shotgun will be here tomorrow , I was going to wait but im too excited haha . I have been wanting a Parkers since I was about 14. Now at 27 I was finally able to own such a piece of American craftsmanship .

I have to mention a fellow PGCA member here , because without him it wouldnt have been possible . Mr Josh Loewensteiner , a heavy #6 frame is my one of my dream doubles . Honestly I never thought I would own one well especially at my age . Thanks to Mr.Josh however he made it possible for me to get a Parker that probably would be out of reach for me normally . Finding someone to work with someone as young as me to get the classic/vintage double they usually can only admire from a distance means alot to me .

I have been doing a little research on the original owner listed in the research letter on it . S Sankey , he was from Russell County AL . From what I could find he came from a large family in that area . The only S Sankey I could find born there or from that area , is Sims Sankey . I believe Sims was his middle name and his full name was Henry Sims Sankey . Was it common for people to go by their middle names back then ? I think he had quite a few Henrys in his family so perhaps thats why he went by Sims .

I managed to find his resting place , it seems just about all of the Sankeys are buried in 2 cemeteries there .https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...ry-sims-sankey

He must have been a interesting fellow to order a 12lb+ 10 ga Parkers .
He lived only about 2hrs from here , eventually I would like to take the Parkers goose hunting up there . I think it would be quite the experience taking it hunting on or near its original hunting grounds 117 years ago .
If I recall this Parker has made its way up to New York some Im glad its coming back close to its original home . Mr.Sims ordered it in 1902 and received it in 1903 when he would have been 27 and now 117 years later at 27 I am getting it . He lived to be 92 , I wonder how long he kept his 12lb Parkers ? I know its impossible to know but I like the idea of someone ordering such a unique Parkers at a young age and using it for many decades .

While this does not directly have anything to do with Mr.Sims Sankey I think this was perhaps a cousin or so of his . http://kilgorecousins.blogspot.com/2...re-family.html

I found it a interesting little read . They was born in the same county and buried in the same family plot so I am assuming they are related but not sure how .

Anyhow I am probably getting long winded but I am excited to get my first Parkers and a unique one at that . I will post the pictures tomorrow when I go pick it up .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Congrats on the new Parker. Please post pics of the Parker once you get it! Got to love The Parker gun!!
Unread 04-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #3
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,061 Times in 283 Posts

Congratulations Milton, I still remember the excitement of my first Parker. It was a VH 16 with 30" barrels. Now I can't remember how many I have without some deep thought. You can never stop once you start!
Chris
Tempe, AZ
Chris Robenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Robenalt For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
Congrats on the new Parker. Please post pics of the Parker once you get it! Got to love Parker Brothers!
What I like most about Parker Bros is all the different and cool configurations they would do for a customer . My favorite guns are the big vintage guns used by waterfowlers and wildfowlers as they call them across the pond . I never care much about what grade they are , if its a big heavy double then I like it haha .

Im not biased against English doubles either , I appreciate all vintage doubles .
Though there is just something about Parker guns .

I have looked at a many #3 frame gauges , but I knew if I got one I would still be yearning for a #6 frame. So I just kept waiting and I was starting to think I waited too long and missed out on ever getting one .

Sometimes though things just work out for you in the end and you get that double you have always been wanting .
Unread 04-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Robenalt View Post
Congratulations Milton, I still remember the excitement of my first Parker. It was a VH 16 with 30" barrels. Now I can't remember how many I have without some deep thought. You can never stop once you start!
Chris
Tempe, AZ
I could see myself getting into collecting PH grade Parkers , my #6 frame needs some little brothers to go with it haha .
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 04-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

I just got back from picking up my first Parkers and its amazing to finally hold it . The fellow who works at the FFL I believe his name is Ben . He said the first thing he noticed when he opened the box was the beautiful damascus pattern .
A old thread I dug up on here about 116794 revealed the pattern is or was called rubin royal which is a bit different than the twist pattern you would usually see on a NH/PH .

The weight is not bad I think its 12 3/3lbs but as Ben pointed out its very well balanced for such a large gun , I think that is probably due to how the barrels have alot of taper to them . They start huge at the breech of the #6 frame and look to taper down to the muzzle to what youd see on normal sized 10 gauge doubles .

Even with being such a big gun the pistol grip fits my hands perfectly and I consider myself to have small hands but the grip is not what I would call meaty or beefy . Actually I would say the pistol grip feels slimmer than the pow grips on the two english 10 gauges I had . The stock fits me like a glove , perhaps Mr.Sims Sankey was around my stature . When I shouldered the big Parker it felt like it was made for me , I was really surprised . I have read alot of times these old doubles from back then the stock measurements can be ill suited for modern shooters .

As a first Parkers I think its amazing and I am pretty proud to have been able to pick it up . Once again I have to thank Mr. Josh Loewensteiner for making it possible .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1.jpg (480.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg p2.jpg (531.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg p3.jpg (331.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg p4.jpg (518.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg p5.jpg (62.2 KB, 222 views)
Unread 04-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #7
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

What is the barrel length Milton?
Unread 04-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #8
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
What is the barrel length Milton?
32" which to me is about perfect on a 10 ga double . On the #6 frame the 32" dont feel long at all haha .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 04-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Very nice! Those are about the ages I was between when I first wanted a Parker and when I got my first.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #10
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Very nice! Those are about the ages I was between when I first wanted a Parker and when I got my first.
I knows its a big gun but Parker really knew how to make a big double feel good in the hands . Compared to the 16lb 10 ga muzzleloader I have the #6 frame feels pretty light haha . To me though the 2lb weight difference between this and the Bonehill I had . Its hardly noticeable and the Parker is much better balanced . Where as the Bonehill was quite muzzle heavy .

I bet with the 1 1/8 oz RST loads this Parker will be a gentle giant .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post: