Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

When is a Parker not a Parker
Unread 04-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
Wilmurt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default When is a Parker not a Parker

When considering buying a Parker or used bespoke gun and you come to learn through your own research that the gun, in several aspects, is not original but the seller's asking price is if it is. I have interest in a gun but the wood, barrels and engraving are all not original. It's a freshly finished resto-mod at a market price for an all original gun. It seems like I'd be paying just for the name on the side of the gun. What's the best way to handle the price negotiation with the seller? The gun makes sense albeit at a lower price.
Tom Jay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Sounds like your describing a Frankengun. I’d probably just walk away. There are plenty of original guns and restored guns on the market right now.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 04-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sounds like your describing a Frankengun. I’d probably just walk away. There are plenty of original guns and restored guns on the market right now.
Unread 04-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Jay is so right he had to say it twice

Unread 04-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,421 Times in 4,595 Posts

You likely wont get anywhere with it. But point out your position and offer the seller what you feel is fair. The worst can happen is they say no. But... they may work with you. Some dealers make a practice of starting very high and coming down to earth regularly in order to make a sale. As there is no way they would sell any guns otherwise at their asking prices.

Or, the seller may not know it is not original. Or trying to take advantage of buyers that may not know.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
Jay is so right he had to say it twice

Sorry about that. Forgot where I was and thought I was talking to my wife.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 04-13-2020, 10:03 PM   #7
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

No matter how much you like it, the amount of changes you describe say it will never bring near what an original would bring and you may kick yourself when you find the same gun, original and in decent shape for a fair price. I can say all that because I have already made that mistake. I would offer him a fair price if you like it for a shooter and explain that you would prefer an all original gun if you could find it......and you will, given time. Good luck, there are Parkers and others that are just not worth the investment after someone else has messed them up. One I recall was Sheriff John Slaughers 73 Winchester,
It was well documented, he was known for bringing them in dead or alive, mostly dead.
The owner just had to refinish it, the gunsmith double priced the job and tried to talk him out of doing anything to it, but he had it refinished and ruined a priceless piece of history.
Find a good original piece, the search is half the fun and you will be proud you passed on this one.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Greeson For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,403 Times in 3,074 Posts

I think calling an otherwise well restored gun a 'frankengun', is a bit of a stretch. We all Ooo and Ahh when Brian posts pictures of his restorations. A person could have any number of reasons for having his gun restored and apart from three surfaces getting a new life (Bluing, case colors, and stock finish) it's still the same gun. To say it's not worth as much as an unrestored gun assumes it was in better than average condition prior to restoration.
A seller making a presumptive statement regarding originality is, as Brian says, down to ignorance; his or hoping for yours. If the seller is unwilling to trade for an acceptable price, walk away. That's no different than any transaction regardless of originality.
Configuration and rarity play into the equation alot also. Case in Point; Steve Barnett has recently aquired a lovely DHE 28 gauge from a well known CA estate. It has been totally restored by Doug Turnbull, and I don't particularly care for the texture of the barrel blue; the remainder very nice. Easy for me to say, not having a spare $29500 in the bedside table drawer, but If I did, I could get over that barrel blue, pretty damn quick.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
I think calling an otherwise well restored gun a 'frankengun', is a bit of a stretch. We all Ooo and Ahh when Brian posts pictures of his restorations. A person could have any number of reasons for having his gun restored and apart from three surfaces getting a new life (Bluing, case colors, and stock finish) it's still the same gun. To say it's not worth as much as an unrestored gun assumes it was in better than average condition prior to restoration.
A seller making a presumptive statement regarding originality is, as Brian says, down to ignorance; his or hoping for yours. If the seller is unwilling to trade for an acceptable price, walk away. That's no different than any transaction regardless of originality.
Configuration and rarity play into the equation alot also. Case in Point; Steve Barnett has recently aquired a lovely DHE 28 gauge from a well known CA estate. It has been totally restored by Doug Turnbull, and I don't particularly care for the texture of the barrel blue; the remainder very nice. Easy for me to say, not having a spare $29500 in the bedside table drawer, but If I did, I could get over that barrel blue, pretty damn quick.
If a gun has just been restored, I agree. However the OP indicated the stock and barrels are not original, which I took meant they are replacements. Cobbling a gun together with parts of other guns is what I refer to as a "frankengun."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #10
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,403 Times in 3,074 Posts

I agree, Jay, but from the OP's wording, I can't tell if he's referring to parts from a different gun entirely, or simply refinished original parts.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
used parker