Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #31
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,419 Times in 4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
Brian, if you have dogs and said dog meets a porky you will always carry a sidearm after that, trust me on that

I completely understand. I do not own a sporting dog, hence why I never thought of carrying a sidearm when upland hunting.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #32
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

One of my favorite upland memories; Walking along the Arizona/Mexico Border with a friend from the Phoenix area. My GSP cutting a zig-zag pattern about 20 yards ahead of us. My friend knew the area, and got us into birds, one small covey at a time. Shot a few, watch others fly away for another day
Walking the grassy, rolling hills.The sights were amazing. The birds held tight, and exploded into flight with enough energy to test your heart health!
Had my shells and supplies in a three bag belt. Though the weight was distributed perfectly, I could feel the tug of a 1911 Kimber .45 ACP, and three mags of ammo.
Everything felt about Right!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #33
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
I normally carry a sidearm when deer hunting. But never did think of it when upland hunting. I suppose it is not a bad idea.
I used to carry a S&W 629 4” when out on deer stand with the idea of using it if I needed a “cou de grah” (I’m sure that’s not spelled correctly) and used it exactly one time in seven years . On top of that the thing always tugged on my pants as I wore it in a Galco high ride holster . Now I take a rifle as well as a shotgun typically loaded with some of my homemade buckshot or slug concoctions.
Unread 10-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #34
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

This has been a great thread. As for using a purse to carry gear, when my mother decided to move out of the family home and into an apartment, she also decided to give up her collection of designer handbags. I'm interested in so many things in the world, but designer handbags isn't one of them. However, I saw one that was very simple and made of very fine leather by something called Hobo and I thought I could use the leather to make a knife sheath or other accoutrement, so I took it. A few weeks later I was sitting in my den with it and there was a box of shotshells sitting there...and I put it in the hand bag, and then found that it would hold four boxes of 20 ga or 12 ga shells perfectly! So it sits in my truck during hunting season with the shotshells in it ready for action. When I told my mother about this, she laughed and laughed and told me that I was indeed my father's son. Then she frowned and I asked her what was wrong. She said "I think I paid $750.00 for that bag!"

As for carrying a handgun, I do religiously...a Glock 19. It can hold a magazine with 15 rounds in it but here in NY I can only use a mag that holds 10 rounds max. I once used it to dispatch a deer that was hit by a car while I was on my way home from a bird hunting trip. Otherwise, I've never had to use it other then range practice. We have lots of porcupines around and I use the e-collar transmitter for that. I worry more about coyotes, bears and two-legged creatures so I carry it while bird hunting for that.
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ted Hicks For Your Post:
Unread 10-21-2019, 09:26 PM   #35
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I agree with Hixie, what a great thread, I have 5 elastic loops sewed into my right and left front pockets for shells. My cell phone and 20' lead are in a large zipped right pocket, my 2 water bottles are in right front pocket with shells. My dogs 2 water bottles are in left front pocket with shells, I carry a double water bottle belt holder with fold up type bowl if I am going for a long hunt or its hot that straps on my waist. I carry a 5 shot .38 in my right front pants pocket, my car keys stay in my left pants pocket, an 8 shot .22 pistol on my right side on my belt. I have a small tupperware container with lid that hold some dog emergency stuff and matches etc. A tiny tupperware cup about 2"by 3" with a lid for dog treats. I leave my left large zip up pocket partly unzipped and keep an old small plastic bowl so dog can drink easier than from the plastic bottles I carry. My dog has it down to a science now drinking, we hardly spill a drop. I am kind of concerned about my car keys, but I keep a money clip in there and I have not lost either one yet. A spare key is a great idea, but I use my key fob so much a key won't unlock my door anymore.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2019, 10:03 PM   #36
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

I find the easiest way to allow Grace to drink is not from the bottle but from my hat as I pour water from the bottle into it.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #37
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean,
Thats another good idea for drinking. I just asked my wife if she could sew a snap on my pants pocket where I keep my keys and money. I am more worried about wearing a hole in the bottom of my pants pocket and keys slipping out that way. I may have her sew extra stitches along my pants pockets on bottom to help hold them together.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #38
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

I carry my keys clipped in with a carabiner. I clip the carabiner to my belt, not a belt loop like I have seen others do.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #39
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,060 Times in 283 Posts

I own a variety of Filson vest for hot, cool and cold conditions. All but the strap one offer a variety of pockets. I split a box between the front pockets. A water bottle in each rear pocket. My favorite pocket is the large pocket located on the upper back. This is for snacks.
Chris Robenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #40
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

I always hide keys around vehicle, don’t trust myself with them on my person. Plus, at least when Snipe hunting, about 1 in ten trips I end up getting wet up to my belly, and today’s electronic keys don’t like that treatment!