Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-29-2018, 06:07 PM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,564 Times in 3,073 Posts

You have a very nice 16 and should feel good about what you paid for it. Take care of it, and send us all some pictures of the game you shoot with it (or if you are into clays, some pics for that). I have two grade 2 16s, none as light as yours, but both on the "0" frame. They are a delight to shoot.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Schilb View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm going to take it to a smith and get it checked out. I'd love to use this gun. This gun is not leaving the family. I'm an old retired guy and was just curious about the value, because I feel like I got it really cheap. 700 bucks.
That sounds like a respectable reasonable price to me as buyer/shooter. Sounds like you bought it right. I have seen some others in worse shape go for more than that. Like someone said earlier their are bunch of rabbit ear guys here that will weigh in. Definitely though want to shoot low pressure loads through that gun if it checks out like RST. I think if your not used to hammer guns there is a dedicated thread to hammer guns on the site and you can learn a bunch about it just reading the banter on the thread. Some real knowledgeable people that know their stuff and willing to help on this site.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
Russell Schilb
Forum Associate

Member Info

Are there any records that show how many 16 gauge 0 frames hammer guns were made?
Russell Schilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,181 Times in 12,364 Posts

Yes there are records that show those numbers but to the best of my knowledge they can only be found in the Grades section of The Parker Story.

$700 is outrageously cheap!! That would make me really gun-shy (to coin a phrase) and I would worry a LOT about what's wrong with the gun..... like unsafe barrels.....

I recommend that you DO NOT shoot it until the barrel walls are properly measured.

The refinish looks like a decent job and it only INcreased the value of the gun, judging by the extreme wear to the buttplate - I'm pretty certain the gun was in pretty poor condition.

Sorry to rain on your parade (I love lightened 0-frame 16 hammer guns as much as anybody - I've had six or seven of them and still have four) but you need to know the truth.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2018, 10:17 PM   #15
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

And, the tables (based on records) do not go into frame sizes.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 06-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #16
Russell Schilb
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the info. Really don’t care about the value. I’m just excited about an old Parker. I am taking it to a reputable gunsmith to get it checked out. If it passes, I will be hunting with it. My grandfather had one, but was regretfully stolen many years ago. This one is here to stay.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russell Schilb For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,181 Times in 12,364 Posts

Mr Schilb - just on the off chance you may not know... The barrel wall thickness needs to be measured fully around each tube and for it's entire length.
The most critical areas are at the forward end of the chamber where the forcing cone begins and for at least 12" - 15" forward of that.
Also of concern is the forward half of the barrels ( keeping in mind that the rear half of the barrels absolutely need sufficient thickness - far greater than the front half) where the minimum thickness should be .025" or thicker. Some folks are comfortable with a bit less but I would never advise less than .025"

I say all this because not all "reputable gunsmiths" know how to properly measure antique shotgun barrel walls.

Please get back to us with the measurements your smith comes up with. We can give good advice based on his accurate measurements.

Regards, Dean

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2018, 11:17 PM   #18
Russell Schilb
Forum Associate

Member Info

I will, Dean. Thanks.
Unread 06-29-2018, 11:20 PM   #19
TroutSetter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You should consider a membership to PGCA. It will save you some money on a letter for your gun and there are many other benefits. You would get a lot of enjoyment and additional knowledge from the accompanying subscription to Parker Pages.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Meeks For Your Post:
Two Years Later
Unread 04-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #20
Russell Schilb
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Two Years Later

Nothing like Coronavirus to help me to do things on my "to do" list. I did take everyone's advise and joined. And, I did get the letter on my old shotgun, which was very informative. It was as follows:

Dear Mr. Schilb,

Parker shotgun, serial number 43607, was ordered by Hart & Co. of Louisville, KY on June 9, 1884 and shipped on October 18, 1884. According to Parker Bros. Order Book No. 16, it was a Quality G, Top Action Hammer gun, 16-gauge. It featured Damascus steel barrels with a length of 28 inches.

Price was $80.00 plus $15 for a 16 bore gun.

According to Parker Bros. Stock Book No. 16, the stock configuration was a capped pistol grip and its specifications were: Length of Pull: 14-1/4, Weight: 7 pounds and 2 ounces.

According to Parker Bros. Order Book No. 30, the gun was returned on September 29, 1891 by E.G. Sebree of Hendersonville, KY to install a new butt plate, clean and reblue barrels, and tighten up the action for a price of $8.50.

It's pretty cool finding the history out about this gun. Owned by a Kentucky Colonel who was a Railroad Baron who even has a town named after him. Quite the history!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russell Schilb For Your Post: