Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

10 GA, 40" Barrels - gone but not forgotten
Unread 04-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Derek Lathrop
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 10 GA, 40" Barrels - gone but not forgotten

I'm on the hunt for a needle in a haystack in the form of an old Parker. One that my great grandfather supposedly special ordered back around 1900 and one my grandfather lost after putting a lien on it in the early 1980's. It is a hammerless 10 Ga with 40" barrels and is a monster of a gun. One that was dear to my great-grandfather and to my father but apparently that sentiment skipped a generation.

I've got a number of photos detailing the gun and the matching parts with serial number #86011 as well as photos of my father as a teen shouldering it (see attached for a sample). I have documents back and forth between a number of people as my grandfather tried to verify its authenticity, detailing the lien and was able to track it to a grandson of the elderly gentleman who had acquired it when the lien was forfeited. He had it in his collection which he sold via magazine ad to someone in either "Texas or Wyoming several years ago". That's where my information dries up, the elderly gentleman named Gene, who lived in Northern MI, was battling dementia and kept no record of the sale of his collection (much to his son & grandson's dismay as it sounds like he gave it away).

More or less, I am looking to find out if this is a gun on the market out there somewhere, or one that could potentially be reacquired at some time. it would be my dream to be able to surprise my father with the gun if by some miracle I could track it down and buy it back.

I have to apologize for my lack of expertise on finish and model information. It's my understanding that these old hammerless 10's are rarely seen with 40" barrels, so if you think you may have seen one or could direct me to someone who might have more information that would be much appreciated.

Lastly, if this is the wrong place for this post please let me know and I will redirect my inquiry.

Thanks to all for your time.

D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10GA-1.jpg (193.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 10GA-2.jpg (203.7 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Derek Lathrop; 04-15-2020 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Full serial number revealed
Derek Lathrop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Derek Lathrop For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
James Shumaker
Forum Associate

Member Info

Based on the proportions of my own 10 ga (rcvr/foreend to barrel) I put this at a 32 inch barrel. Can't make out the tape measure readings.

Last edited by James Shumaker; 04-15-2020 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Misread the tape measure.
James Shumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
Derek Lathrop
Forum Associate

Member Info

James, Thanks for taking the time to look at my post! It is not my intention to contradict your comment however, the tape does in fact read 40”. It may not translate well in the sized down image attached but it is clear in the original. I believe the visual scale may be skewed given the perspective that the photo is taken at. Multiple documents that I have regarding the gun also detail it as having barrels that measure between 40-41”.
Derek Lathrop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek Lathrop For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

First off, the full serial would be helpful for us to know so that maybe those who track numbers in more detail may be able to check their records.

Some information on 40" parker barrels. 40" was the longest barrel length that Parker offered. And the few that I have seen actually measured 40.5". so that may be where you're conflicting information of 40" and 41" comes from. Some rounded up and some rounded down.
And the few 40" guns that I have seen had unmated ribs as I suspect that the matting machine was not able to matte up to 40" length.

I would bet the gun was built on a 6 frame.

Best of luck on your endeavor.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

The book only lists 12 serial numbers starting in 860xx. So it must be one of the 88 missing numbers that are not in the book.
Unread 04-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,206 Times in 12,371 Posts

Unfortunately there are scant few guns in the 860XX range shown in the Serialization book because that gun falls into the range of serial numbers within which the person recording them for these files only included Grade 3 and higher. But there may be sufficient data available upon which to base a research letter.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,659 Times in 1,854 Posts

Derek check your PM's please.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #8
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,659 Times in 1,854 Posts

Derek there are surviving records on the subject gun so you might consider joining the PGCA and ordering a letter. Most likely this will not help to locate the gun but it sounds like the letter may be of interest to you.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Wow, what a great mystery.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info