Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

NH 10ga Project Gun Complete
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Default NH 10ga Project Gun Complete

In late 2009 I found a fairly solid, or so it seemed NH 10ga with 32" barrels, a 3 frame weighing 10lbs 5 ounces built in 1893. With the help of Scott Kittredge I began the journey of shooting and loading the short 10.

I have enjoyed hunting with this gun very much. It's long range performance borders on unbelievable. It was 117 years old and showing a lot of hard use when I got it. The first issue I ran into was a shimmed hinge pin which became apparent to me after the shim fell out. So off I went taking the gun to Stephen Hutton at Brittania Arms in Portsmouth NH, who put the gun back on face by building up the lug and he bent the front trigger back to it's proper position as somehow it had been bent to be almost straight.

Shooting stuff started to get really fun in spite of too much drop, pitted bores, pitted barrels, boogered screws, worn off checkering and barrels with no finish left. My next stop was Pete Kogut of DoubleGun Cases in Farmington NH who did a proper freshening up of the checkering, bent the stock up to better dimensions and fixed some internal cracking in the stock head. I had a great fall shooting it on hundreds of crows and a bunch of ducks and geese.

Over the winter while in Ilion NY having some work done on another gun, Lawence DelGrego cleaned up the screws.

It continued to be a long range crow killing machine during the winter/spring crow season but the barrels needed some attention.

This spring my barrels went out to Brad Bachelder in Michigan for external refinish and internal work. He opened the barrels by .006 (.785 bores) which took out much of the pitting and he gave it tapered chambers and lengthened the forcing cones.

My barrels came back to me last week and the gun is shooting great and looking good. Can't wait for fall. As an avid crow and waterfowl hunter I believe this gun will be my "go to" gun for some time to come.

Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Real nice Pete...She's all gussied up and ready for another 100 years...Congratulations
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,871 Times in 4,755 Posts

Three frame NH tens are the best Parkers made, if you want to kill big things. They used to be a hundred bucks and no one would bother with them. Times have changed. My old NH is my favorite gun to bust big stuff. It came from Wagner's in DC and I bought it about ten miles from where it was originally bought. By the way, Dave, what happened to your old NH? Did you think I forgot?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Bill, It's resting comfortably in the gun safe...
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Pete, nice job on the wood and the screws and I especially like the buttplate.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Dean, so what am I missing about the butt plate, to me it's just another DHBP, no bird in dogs mouth variety. Frankly I am amazed it is not more worn, one has a tendency to lean a 10+ pound gun against the blind rather than hold it for long periods of time.
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Just the fact that it shows a good amount of wear but no signs of abuse... no cracks, chips or repairs. I like it.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

them old 10 parkers are true long range guns...ive got a old ph ten parker i shoot a lot..its brought home a lot of wild turkeys plus a sure enough long range squirl gun...the short ten is my favorite gun... i would hate to have to buy the shells that it would take to wear that parker of yours out its a fine looking gun... bill your right them old tens used to be bought cheap but not so no more... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
that parker of yours out its a fine looking gun...
Thanks Charlie. I'd like to think I restored/repaired what was broken or completely worn away returning the gun to a "proud" condition but retaining as much as possible the character from 118 years of use, and making it good to go for another 100 :-) This was a fun project.
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Great story. I have an NH as well which I love, but, like yours, is probably going to need some "cleaning" up over the next few years.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post: