Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Merry Christmas from Alabama
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
David Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Merry Christmas from Alabama

I am in the process of buying a Parker 20 repro from Gerald Addison and he introduced me to this site. I am a 66 year old former USN special forces EOD. (Diving Demolition and Bomb Disposal). Did two tours in Vietnam, 68 and 69. Have been a life long quail hunter, birddog owner, and lover of shotguns and wing shooting. I have a Trojan That I had restocked to fit me years ago and is currently being filed and upgraded to a CHE grade. . While in the Navy I bought a Browning superposed and hunted them for years until I picked up an LC Smith 20 trap grade. That was fifteen years ago. I could not pick up the superposed again and have shot double barrels since.
I do a little benchrest shooting with rifles and find I really enjoy shooting the target 22's. Have a couple of USMC target 22's (Remington 40X), a couple of Kimbers, and an Anshultz Match 54.
I currently live with four English Setters, a Goldendoodle, and a wonderful wife.
Thanks for such an informative site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010961.jpg (504.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by David Scott; 12-18-2011 at 07:46 AM..
David Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Welcome aboard David!

First, thank you for your service. I'm a retired Marine a decade and a half younger than you.

That's a nice looking Trojan in the photo. Unlike some I like a old gun restored to new condition. Of course, I start with guns that due to their abuse could be substituted for boat oars.

After getting to know those of us inflicted with Parker-itus please consider joining the PGCA. I am a member of SxS collector organizations but hold the PGCA in the highest esteem due to its spirit of helping others. One never finds a newby's question unanswered.

Happy holidays and good shooting to you!
Mark
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

David, Glad you found us and welcome. Hang around there is much to be learned here. If you feel so inclined after visiting awhile please join us. Its the best $40.00 you will ever spend....

I would like to echo Marks comments and thank you for your service to this country....
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Welcome to the site, David. I am somewhat of a newbie too but love this site and the helpful informative members. Thanks for your service. I did my two tours in Vietnam two years ahead of you with the USMC in a helicopter squadron. Just like me, you can honestly say we were winning when I left.
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
David Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks fellows for the welcome and the acknowledgement of service. My hat is off to you guys for your service. I joined the PGCA, too old to fight with Marines anymore ;^). Hope you all have the best Christmas ever and look forward to learning from you guys. david

pic taken in Canada this October. I am the one with the bowed head being thankful for such a great morning hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04156.jpg (511.1 KB, 6 views)
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

Welcome David! I'll echo the thanks the others have given you. You guys who did tours in Viet Nam are the the best. Those were really tough times both over there and here on US soil as well. Thank you for your service and all you endured.

Are those Sandhill Cranes really as good eating as I've heard?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
David Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

The fellow to the left of me in the picture is a great cook. He talked about how good those cranes were to eat before the hunt. We killed 5 that morning and cooked some of them that evening. Out of this world. Hope I get to go after them again next year.
Coming back to College after five years in the Navy in 1971 was an experience. I was greeted with contempt and was an angry young man. I never even got thanks from my family. I had a co-major in US Foreign Policy in the 20th century. I so wanted to know how well meaning men could get us into such a war. I knew within two weeks over there the South Vietnamese could care less what Governmental system they had, they just wanted to survive. I also saw that the war was not winnable the way we were fighting it. I could tell some stories how we were bridled at the last minute by Nixon on operations already underway. Being in a political science major at that time put me in the middle of the protesters. It was like I started the war and was responsible for it continuing. The professors were no different. It was a maturing experience.
Sad thing is we continue to make the same mistakes in the two wars we are fighting now. I have talked to special forces operatives coming back and the rules of engagement are absurd, and the way the war is being fought is absurd. We would have far fewer wars if the ones who sent us were put on the front lines first.
The best and most accurate book ever written on the mistakes of Vietnam was written by Neal Sheehan, "A Bright Shining Lie". I learned more reading that book on Vietnam than I learned from two years of my major at Florida State.
For those who have never been to war, the best two books I ever read that depict the true horror, and not the false glamor seen in movies: "All Quiet on the Western Front", written by a German and bone chilling on how similar the experience and training is on both sides. And "With the Old Breed" Elderedge Sledge. Every Marine that still has breath should read that book. It should be required in boot camp.
I left Vietnam with an incredible respect for the American Fighting Man. Unbelievable what man can endure. Unbelievable what politicians can get us into. God help us all.
Sorry to run on, it is still a sensitive spot ;^). Hug a Veteran this Christmas. david
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

David , back at you with the xmas greetings Like the song says Merry Xmas from Dixie, ain't nothing like it.
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,873 Times in 4,756 Posts

David, I agree that BSL was a great book. Neil Sheehan is a fellow gun club member and shooting friend whom I have known since way before BSL and the Pentagon Papers. Unfortunately, he is a Model 21 and Purdey guy, does not shoot or own Parkers. I am USA from 67 to 69, did not experience bad behavior from the public when I went back to school and work. OK, down to the important things-who is filing up your Trojan. I am in the middle of a "filing up" project and wonder how others handle it.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

David, for better or worse I was an angry young man at having done my tours in Vietnam and receiving no thanks at all even for my service. Now that I am 65 years old I am still angry. At one point the good people of the USA decided to honor us Vietnam Vets by having a celebration about 10 years after the war. For me it was too little and far too late. I must say though that I still believe we could have won that war and we should have been there according to my understanding of SEATO. When my helicopter would come under fire The crew chief and door gunner (me) would have to ask permission from the pilot to return fire. Fortunately every pilot I flew with told us before lifting off that we had permission to return fire and not to waste valuable time asking permission. My understanding is our troops are still under the same stupid rules of fire. I wonder how many of our servicemen and women were killed while being politically correct. War is a bitch, bloody and brutal to the max but sometimes necessary to protect what is sacred to our country. But when war is necessary it should be fought as quickly and as brutal as possible to win in the shortest amount of time necessary IMHO. On that final note from me, let me wish each and every member and their family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis V. Nix For Your Post: