Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

A question of value
Unread 07-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
Jack Kuzepski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default A question of value

A friend picked up a GH made around 1915 the other day then called to get my opinion. He doesn't know a lot about shotguns but called me after the fact to see what I thought. When I looked a the gun it looked in pretty good shape overall, correct butt plate, little bit of color on the action and in hidden places. Top lever centered, Damascus barrels, pretty good bores. First thing I noticed was some screw in the top rib, the screw slot was parallel with the rib. Then I noticed the rib matting ran right off the end of the rib, no barrel keels and the barrels measured exactly 28-1/4". There was still .010 choke in both barrels. So I told him he had a shooter at best, at worst it is a parts gun but a good one. What would you pay for a shooter like that?

Jack Kuzepski
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a 16 gauge Sterlingworth with cut barrels and .010 choke in both barrels. It's one of my favorite grouse guns. I don't remember how much I paid for it but I've had a formula for buying guns other than Parkers with cut barrels. I'd value them at 2/3 of what I would pay for a similar condition Parker.
Oops, just realized that this is not answering your question. If your friends gun is a 12 gauge, and on face and the barrels are OK except for the cut barrels...I would probably be in the range of $1,200 - 1,500 dollars.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
Jack Kuzepski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Austin,

Thank you for your quick response. I believe he has just under $1000.- in the gun so he might not have gotten hurt too bad (or bought it way too soon). Yes it is a 12 ga shotgun on the #2 frame. I was thinking about the screw in the rib and was wondering if it held a Nadar sight and when the sight was removed they just put the screw in to fill the hole. Another curious thing is there was no initial shield on the stock, but I think the stock looks right. I guess no way of telling except to pull the trigger guard and see if the serial is stamped in the wood

Jack Kuzepski

Jack Kuzepski
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote