Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Broken Hammer Screw
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Broken Hammer Screw

Well, it was a great day of shooting sporting clays, until I got back to the truck and started wiping down my O Grade Parker Hammer Gun. It seems that somewhere on the course, the head on one of the Hammer screws broke in half.

I've been warned about these potentially falling out, but wasn't expecting it to break. It's not something that I feel comfortable fixing myself, and I really want to have this gun to shoot at the Southern. So, questions...

1. Do you think I'd hurt it in any way shooting it as is?

2. How would you suggest I go about getting this fixed, and by whom?

Thanks,

Mike
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Contact Tom Carter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tom.jpg (34.6 KB, 201 views)
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Yeah
Two words
Tom Carter
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George M. Purtill For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

You would not really risk hurting anything shooting it as it is if you have to. Just keep an eye on it. But, the screw will most likely be easier to get out while half the head is still there. If the other half breaks off, it will be much harder to get out.
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

good advise brian....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

just asking here - my hammer gun experience is not with Parkers, but I've cleaned and or tuned a few flintlocks, and a couple old English locks

but - if the other half of the screw head breaks off, wouldn't the hammer be likely to fall off and risk being lost? on my hammer guns the hammer fits the square tumbler that is center tapped for the hammer screw, the hammer comes off fairly easy without the screw.

without the screw head the removal options would seem to be a very small easyout or drill out the screw and retap.

like I said, just asking
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Mike - call Tom. Remove the entire lock with hammer in place and send it to Tom. That way he can properly time the new screw he will make for you. He just did both for me on the "Editor's Gun".
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Hammer screw
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Hammer screw

You should replace the screw now. If the other half of the screw head breaks off you may loose the hammer. Also, if it breaks off and you have to drill the broken screw to use an easy out and it is a very difficult task. The top of the broken screw will probably be broken at an angel and drilling something at an angel with a small drill is next to impossible. The drill will run to the low side and mess up the threads inside the tumbler. Since you have to replace it anyway, why wait until its a big problen. Been there, done that, and don't like it. Do it while its a small problem and easy to deal with. Cheers, Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Carter For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for providing Tom's info, I'll give him a call about making a replacement. Brian, I'm also concerned about the other half breaking off, and I'm leery of trying to remove it myself for fear I'll make it worse, or scratch the gun. Beyond making the screws, would Tom be someone who could remove the broken screw as well? If not, who would you guys suggest sending it to?

Thanks again,

Mike
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Looks like a few posts while I was typing my message, which answers my questions, so thanks for the responses. Sounds like removing the lock and sending it to Tom is the way to go. I've been practicing with this gun for the Southern, and shot an excellent round with it today. I hate not to have it, but would hate to lose a hammer or screw up the gun even more. I have to look longer term, and it's not worth the risk.

So now, any instructions for removing the lock plate? This is my first hammer gun, and I've never taken it apart.

M.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike.Smith For Your Post: