Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 03-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

if you cannot find a local smith, send me a private post and i will be happy to make a referral.
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Erickson Jr View Post
I have removed the stock from its bath in acetone. One of the past owners kept the gun well oiled and stored butt down.....
As soon as I can install a repaired stock I will fire a few RST rounds to see how it patterns.
If I need to have a choke installed I have enough wall thickness to have the gun jug choked. Any suggestions as to who can do the work if necessary? I live in Northern New Jersey.
Contact Mike Orlen. On my price sheet it is $85 dollars. To ship UPS from NJ to MA will take about 1 day.

79 Salem Street • Amherst, MA 01002 • (413) 256-1630 • fax (413) 253-5665
michael.orlen@verizon.net
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Carl,
There's another option besides jug choking, which has limited effect. Choke sleeves can be soldered in the muzzle. As I understand the method, the muzzle is reamed slightly, then a sleeve is soldered in, then the choke is adjusted to the desired constriction by reaming and polishing. The installation is supposedly nearly invisible.

I don't know if Orlen does these anymore, but there's a guy in Ontario Canada that's from England that does this. Precision Gunsmithing is his business name. I bought a shotgun from him 8-10 yrs ago. Orlen's old price list from a few yrs ago shows them at $75 to install.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

You would be really surprised how shooting a light load like 3/4oz in a 12ga will give you a tighter pattern. At my club where we shoot three days a week a couple of us reload the 3/4oz load and hit clay birds solidly out to 35yds with skeet chokes. The shorter shot column has less distortion on the shot in the back of the column so you get less fliers and better patterns. You may have to do nothing. I have jug choked my own guns and it works very nicely. No, I don't want to do any other guns. Paul