Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

New 10 Gauge
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default New 10 Gauge

I just purchased my first Parker 10 gauge and am looking for some advice. I am not able to post photos of the gun as when I try I get a box coming up saying I need to download some type of program. When I click on download the program other issues come up. That issue aside it is an 1884 O grade and matches what is in the serialization book. The serial number is 38327. It still shows some original case color especially the metal on the inside of the forearm. The barrel inscription says Twist barrels. The barrels are evenly pitted inside but the pits do not look very deep. No dings or dents whatsover on the barrels outside. I have not shot it yet but will do so tomorrow with some RST loads in both 1 1/8th ounce and 1 1/4 ounce shells. Everything works properly except the lever occasionally does not stay to the right when the gun is opened. Then I need to push it to the right again to close the gun. It was bad when I first bought the gun but since then I have put some lubricant in that area and it is only occasionally now. I am thinking a good cleaning would take care of that problem. According to the Serialization book steel buttplates were used on lower grade guns until 1878. My gun has the solid steel buttplate and it is numbered to the gun on the underside of the buttplate. Is the book wrong? Was the company trying to simply use up an oversupply of buttplates? Also under the buttplate on the stock wood is what looks like the number 314 rather than 327 which I had expected/hoped. I believe that is indicative of the gun having a replaced buttstock. But the stock absolutely seems to match the age and appearance of the forearm with regard to checkering wear and wood finish. Could somebody at Parker in 1884 have simply mistakenly switched buttstocks from my gun to 38314? I would appreciate any assistance the experts here could offer.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

did you read the attachments and images instructions here?
http://parkerguns.org/forums/faq.php...eading_posting

as for the stock- i would think the switch being done at Parker is unlikely - its more common for a damaged stock to be replaced by a later owner from a parts gun
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Rick. That was my thinking as well though I hoped possibly to be wrong. My other questions so far are unanswered though. As far as the top lever not staying to the right when opened does my thinking of just gunk inside seem to make sense? Also the same serial numbered buttplate is confusing me. It says in the Parker Serialization book that the plain steel buttplates were phased out in 1878 but my gun was made in 1884. I recently saw the plain steel buttplate on a later gun than mine as well. I did shoot the gun with some RST shells a couple of days ago just to test fire it. All worked properly as I thought it would and it did not blow up in my hands. I didn't really think it would or I would not have shot it of course.

I have tried posting pictures before using the instructions given on the Parker site but I always come up with a box saying to download some other program. I will take some photos of this gun in a couple of days and try again.

Thanks for your comments.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

if you can't load pictures into a posting - try loding them in an album and post the title here