Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 08-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #21
Alligator
Forum Associate

Member Info

For what it's worth for those who don't checker I think the 3 1/2 and 2 Brad is referring to is the length of the diamonds to the width, as in a ratio of 3 1/2"X1", and 2"X1" and the 90 degrees is the included angle of the "V" groove of the checkering as opposed to the 60 degree angle used in many early doubles having "flat" or unpointed checkering that didn't come tp a peaked diamond. Am I asumming right Brad? I certainly didn't mean to snatch a thread from the Master!!!! Lee.
lee r moege is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lee r moege For Your Post:
Unread 08-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #22
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Brian, Thank You very much. That is very generous of you!
Unread 10-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #23
Gene Langston
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
It is very difficult to measure with a ruler as there is little difference between 16 LPI and 18 LPI for the naked eye. I'm using a Gunline Tools Checkering gage which is just a clear piece of plastic with the lines marked over it. But without a doubt an unaltered VH has more LPI than an unaltered Trojan. I would agree with the 16 LPI for the Trojan which I believe is what TPS states. I could not find it tonight, but I believe it also stated VHs used 16 LPI. I would say it was 18 LPI at the least, and forends look even finer. Side by side, one can see the finer checkering.

Most recheckered guns no longer have the flat cut checkering that the lower grade guns had that should be done with the 60 degree cutter to leave flat top checkering instead of the 90 degree tool which points them up. However, the pointed top diamonds (90 degree tool) on recut guns surely give a better grip, and will eventually wear flat, so I do not worry about that on recut guns that will get lots of field use.
Something that works perfectly is a screw gauge you can get at any hardware or auto parts store for a couple of bucks. Just get the "inch" gauge and not the metric.
Gene Langston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #24
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

wrong thread sorry
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote