Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Unread 09-12-2023, 05:19 PM   #11
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,297 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Stan fifteen years earlier you wouldn’t have seen me going during archery season or for the matter going to tower shoots on the openers of the VA ml and hun seasons . I still like killing deer but it seems as I’ve gotten old(er) the social aspect more comes into play in my choices .
We can hunt deer here in PA for the better part of 2 months counting archery, rifle, and flint lock.

But the pheasant opener is only 1 day in S Dakota
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2023, 07:41 PM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hoover View Post
We can hunt deer here in PA for the better part of 2 months counting archery, rifle, and flint lock.

But the pheasant opener is only 1 day in S Dakota
Deer season in my county of VA this season and last season has been 9/2 thru 3/26 with a limit of two per day provided you keep buying doe tags , only three antlered deer for the entire season . But if it were twenty years ago I’d darn near deer hunt morning and evening just about every day . Oh we can hunt sundays here now on private property , there was a time I’d have benefitted from that as well but not much now .
Unread 09-20-2023, 08:46 PM   #13
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Default Impressions of the recent Vintage Cup event

After some musings and in-depth discussions with various vendors and shooters regarding the experiences encountered at the most recent Vintage Cup event in Wellsville PA, I put together a compilation of comments and impressions of the event. First, my own: ( I have attended most all of the Vintage Cup events from the very first one held at Addieville RI up through last year"s event at Hidden Hollow).

- The roads around the shooting grounds are so poorly marked they defied even the most robust GIS navigation systems. "Sandwich board" or balloon-decorated signs are a must at well-marked intersecting roads to the range.

- The porta johns were clumped (3 at one location near the equipment shed to the far right end of the big field) and not readily visible for ID and subsequent use (2 were near the canopy tent adjacent to the food trucks but not easily seen unless you trekked down to the clubhouse).

- Strictly as a side note to the previous observation, the individual who presumably had a "fecal emergency", leaving the large potta john at the end of the big vendor tent in its designated "out of order"' condition, should have been identified, apprehended, and charged with restoring the facility to operating condition and and sanitary standards. Those of us who attend these events and are subjected to these accomodations are very familiar with the "thief in the night" soiling and departure tactics of these individuals.

- The vendor tent needs to be bigger (longer) so as to offer more space between the aisles to move about to play with dogs, look at guns and write checks.

- The food trucks continue to be a great idea for these events and I don't know why more promoters/hosts don't solicit them. There were at least 2 trucks on site for 2 days, 3 on one day, plus a freelance BBQ guy from Amish country cooking wursts, feet, snouts and other porcine treats next to the clubhouse one day. People who ordered and ate inside the clubouse said the food was good but the service was slow. (First-time eventers take notice!).

- I did not shoot nor compete but heard a lot of complaints about the opening morning readiness in terms of trap malfunctions and target regimens not being clearly defined, which lead to much confusion. Hosts of these events have to understand that when the program says shooting starts at 9AM, when the gates open a herd of cars comes into the cart area, loads up their gear, signs up at the office (if not already registered), and hits the course ready to shoot! Well-prepared venues handle the initial crush like a gentle swell at the beach vs. a veritable tsunami. Good examples are Ernie Hausmann's Hidden Hollow and Mike Koneski's Rock Mountain shoots. Similarly, the Southern SxS ala Rick Hemingway at the target helm speaks for itself.

- I thought the array of vendors was very good and the selection of nice guns for sale was above par for a first-time event of this nature at an essentially unknown venue. There were some beautiful guns there and some outstanding bargains for those who looked carefully. I give a lot of credit to the large number of established vendors who "took the chance" displaying and selling at a heretofore unknown facility and location.

- A pet peeve of mine (I'm old now!) at these events has always been the lack of adequate nos. and placement of trash cans; the amount of packaging trash generated at one of these shoots is amazing. Much to their credit, the VC hosts hurriedly placed BIG cans strategically thoughout the grounds.

- The Vendors Cocktail Party on Friday night was a very nice touch - good wines, tasty appetizers, and very cordial company.

- The weather was absolutely oppressive heat and humidity wise and the drive home to NOVA went great down Rt. 15 till Emmitsburg, at which point the sky opened up and rose merry hell with torrential winds, driving rain, and a little hail thrown in for good measure. I pulled off the road twice in very un-manly fashion in deference to my toy rental car which seemed barely up to the task. No control over Mother Nature so she gets a pass!

- My travel time from home in NOVA was c. 2 hrs., much more relaxing than the 5 or 6 up into the hinterlands of PA (sorry Ernie & Mike!!).

So these are my observations, suggestions, and mini-rants. Overall I enjoyed the event and am likely to return next year as a "civilian" with my own booth.

- I am interested in other comments and observations regarding this event - collectively we can help make it better!

Thanks for your interest!

Last edited by Kevin McCormack; 09-21-2023 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: added references
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2023, 10:13 PM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
After some musings and in-depth discussions with various vendors and shooters regarding the experiences encountered at the most recent Vintage Cup event in Wellsville PA, I put together a compilation of comments and impressions of the event. First, my own: ( I have attended most all of the Vintage Cup events from the very first one held at Addieville RI up through last year"s event at Hidden Hollow).

- The roads around the shooting grounds are so poorly marked they defied even the most robust GIS navigation systems. "Sandwich board" or balloon-decorated signs are a must at well-marked intersecting roads to the range.

- The porta johns were clumped (3 at one location near the equipment shed to the far right end of the big field) and not readily visible for ID and subsequent use (2 were near the canopy tent adjacent to the food trucks but not easily seen unless you trekked down to the clubhouse).

- Strictly as a side note to the previous observation, the individual who presumably had a "fecal emergency", leaving the large potta john at the end of the big vendor tent in its designated "out of order"' condition, should have been identified, apprehended, and charged with restoring the facility to operating condition and and sanitary standards. Those of us who attend these events and are subjected to these accomodations are very familiar with the "thief in the night" soiling and departure tactics of these individuals.

- The vendor tent needs to be bigger (longer) so as to offer more space between the aisles to move about to play with dogs, look at guns and write checks.

- The food trucks continue to be a great idea for these events and I don't know why more promoters/hosts don't solicit them. There were at least 2 trucks on site for 2 days, 3 on one day, plus a freelance BBQ guy from Amish country cooking wursts, feet, snouts and other porcine treats next to the clubhouse one day. People who ordered and ate inside the clubouse said the food was good but the service was slow. (First-time eventers take notice!).

- I did not shoot nor compete but heard a lot of complaints about the opening morning readiness in terms of trap malfunctions and target regimens not being clearly defined, which lead to much confusion. Hosts of these events have to understand that when the program says shooting starts at 9AM, when the gates open a herd of cars comes into the cart area, loads up their gear, signs up at the office (if not already registered), and hits the course ready to shoot! Well-prepared venues handle the initial crush like a gentle swell at the beach vs. a veritable tsunami. Good examples are Ernie Hausmann's Hidden Hollow and Mike Koneski's Rock Mountain shoots.

- I thought the array of vendors was very good and the selection of nice guns for sale was above par for a first-time event of this nature at an essentially unknown venue. There were some beautiful guns there and some outstanding bargains for those who looked carefully. I give a lot of credit to the large number of established vendors who "took the chance" displaying and selling at a heretofore unknown facility and location.

- A pet peeve of mine (I'm old now!) at these events has always been the lack of adequate nos. and placement of trash cans; the amount of packaging trash generated at one of these shoots is amazing. Much to their credit, the VC hosts hurriedly placed BIG cans strategically thoughout the grounds.

- The Vendors Cocktail Party on Friday night was a very nice touch - good wines, tasty appetizers, and very cordial company.

- The weather was absolutely oppressive heat and humidity wise and the drive home to NOVA went great down Rt. 15 till Emmitsburg, at which point the sky opened up and rose merry hell with torrential winds, driving rain, and a little hail thrown in for good measure. I pulled off the road twice in very un-manly fashion in deference to my toy rental car which seemed barely up to the task. No control over Mother Nature so she gets a pass!

- My travel time from home in NOVA was c. 2 hrs., much more relaxing than the 5 or 6 up into the hinterlands of PA (sorry Ernie & Mike!!).

So these are my observations, suggestions, and mini-rants. Overall I enjoyed the event and am likely to return next year as a "civilian" with my own booth.

- I am interested in other comments and observations regarding this event - collectively we can help make it better!

Thanks for your interest!
I’ve not been to as many of these things as you . But this past Cup has much room for improvement . I like looking at scores yet they were not up anywhere to be seen . I also like the practices at Mike’s , Sanford and Hemingway where you always have a trapper . I also feel the shoots at Mike’s and Rick’s are a bit above the rest . Hausemann’s is okay but I’d like it better if they had trappers and it greatly eliminates later questioning . I think “The Corona” was putting forth the effort with his five stand deal , however I felt the club coulda set some more shall we say favorable targets at the five stand . I’m really looking forward to the LC Smith Turkey shoot in November at Pintail Point as I’ve never shot there but hear good things about them . My quite unimportant thoughts
Unread 09-20-2023, 10:21 PM   #15
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Something else that’s been a kinda breath of fresh air are the AirBnB’s . I’ve been fortunate enough to get in with others for these things this year at Hausemann’s, at Rock Mountain and at the past Cup in Wellsville . There’s a lot to be said about staying somewhere that you’re comfortable leaving your battery in the car at night and not constantly moving guns in and out .
Unread 09-21-2023, 07:14 AM   #16
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

This is not meant to demean in any way Mike or others who host sporting clays shoots, and/or S X S events, but I have to put credit where credit is due when I say ........ no one that I have ever known runs a better shoot than Rick Hemingway. He is a veteran of many years of hosting big NSCA shoots, including a couple of U.S. Opens. Trap malfunctions are almost non-existant, facilities are great, food is exceptional, and the target presentations are super good. I haven't been able to be at the Fall Southern for a few years but recall meeting Mike K. and Mike S. (Smitty) at one years ago. I am always in hopes that peanut harvest season will allow me to get to the event but too often it prevents me from doing so. I sure would like to be there next month and renew some old friendships and make new ones. Fingers crossed ........
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2023, 07:17 AM   #17
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Something else that’s been a kinda breath of fresh air are the AirBnB’s . I’ve been fortunate enough to get in with others for these things this year at Hausemann’s, at Rock Mountain and at the past Cup in Wellsville . There’s a lot to be said about staying somewhere that you’re comfortable leaving your battery in the car at night and not constantly moving guns in and out .
Craig, I’m in complete agreement. I stayed in Air BnB’s for the Southern Zone shoot in Kentucky and the Grand in Illinois this past year. In addition to the advantages you pointed out, I was also able to locate much closer to the event than I otherwise would have.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2023, 02:02 PM   #18
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
Craig, I’m in complete agreement. I stayed in Air BnB’s for the Southern Zone shoot in Kentucky and the Grand in Illinois this past year. In addition to the advantages you pointed out, I was also able to locate much closer to the event than I otherwise would have.
John when I started shooting skeet/trap and to a lesser degree sporting I never thought I’d put more emphasis on the social aspect over the competitive aspect . But last year and this year sharing a place with people you genuinely like and are comfortable with makes it all the better for me atleast . Sure I still like competition and an occasional piece of “bling” as Mr. Koneski calls it is great , but the socializing is the far greater part for me now .
Unread 09-21-2023, 05:45 PM   #19
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

I sure was hoping the VC would go smoothly since the shoot was in my back yard but regrettably it didn't go well. The club and the Vintagers had almost 1 year to get it organized but it seemed both Warrington and the Vintagers had no clue on how to run a big shoot. Kevin mentioned a few of the problems and I'll add a few. I don't know if the people in the office were from Warrington or from the Vintagers but they seemed to be not very well organized. On the main event, one of the young trappers on a station had no clue on what to do. He had never pulled and scored before and was not taught how to do it. We took some time out of our shooting to train him. On 2 of the stations, they threw incomers directly at you. If you missed the target or waited too long before shooting it, you could have been hit by the whole target or pieces. Very dangerous. We shoot a lot of ZZ birds in our area. We tried to get them included in the shoot. We gave the Vintagers the contact of the guy who runs it months before the shoot. When I asked in early summer what the status was, the guy that runs the ZZ birds said he hadn't heard anything. I contacted the Vintagers and by the time they got to the ZZ bird guy, he had already scheduled something for that weekend. You snooze, you lose!

Can the VC succeed at Warrington, I think it can however both Warrington and the Vintagers need to identify the problem areas and take corrective action and not wait till the last minute.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2023, 08:31 PM   #20
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,239 Posts

To bring this back around to the Fall Southern, I would highly recommend to anyone going that they check in to the local AirBnB's.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post: