Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 02-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Keep in mind that bending a stock down in order to gain DAH could change the pitch somewhat.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #12
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

I recently sent a repro out for bending. It was my Only experience with trying to have a stock bent. It was my personal gun. It was a complete waste of money. All I got was a stock with messed up finish and an action that was all gummed up from the oil getting into it. The stock would not take the bend. The bend for cast held, but after two attempts to bend for drop, it kept moving back. I just ended up taking the comb down and refinishing. I would have been better off saving the money and just doing that to start with.
Unread 02-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Yup, carve wood off the top. Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #14
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've found, for me, that pulling the gun in really tight helps to overcome the high dimensions. It's basically become a natural mount for me and I haven't many problems wing shooting instinctually. But, to the point: I, too, wish the standard dims were 1-1/2 x 2-1/2 b/c that'd be just a little more natural and not require the development of gun specific muscle memory. Although I've considered it, I've been too scared to attempt a bend pretty much for the reasons Brian cited and confirmed through his attempt. Plus, I've never bent a stock b/f. Moreover, now that I've learned how to shoot them, I doubt I'll ever worry about it. YMMV
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #15
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

There is a guy down in the Texas area (Keith Warner) that uses a different bending technique that uses hot water ( or some other liquid) cycled through surgical tubing that is wrapped around the wrist. It is supposed to not result in any finish damage. He reports very good results with bending repros and a lot of stocks in general and he guarantees his work if it moves later on.

IF I felt the need to try to have a stock bent again, he would be who I would try next.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 02-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #16
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

My hunting partner is a lefty and had Dan Cullity bring his BHE repro to his specified measurements. He shoots it quite well and has been happy with it for years. I introduced him to Dan and was with him when he dropped it off and when he picked it up. I don't remember Dan saying that he touched the finish? But that was years ago. At about that time I had been reading about the use of hot oil to bend a stock and not having any affect on the finish, it may be that is what Dan did but I am only guessing.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #17
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,371 Times in 3,072 Posts

Beyond working with American walnut in my gun box making, I really don't know all the ins and outs of wood morphology. That said, I have believed that the finish, and pre-finish used on the 'California' wood used in reproductions doesn't lend itself well to mechanical manipulation.
I have had several experiences, some great, and one, ehhhh, with heat bending, but that was always on older guns with traditional finishes.
I think adding an additional 1/4" of drop is going to have so small effect on pitch, it would be very hard to measure. Good old trigonometry.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #18
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,195 Times in 891 Posts

2 1/4" DAH is great for me. Please send all Repros not wanted my way
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 02-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #19
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

I'm with Steve. I never met a repro stock I did not like to shoot. I cannot say the same for Meriden examples. I do have one though that is a bit less than 25" that I am quite fond of.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 02-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #20
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
The Cataloged standard dimensions of Repros of all gauges was 1-3/8" at Comb and 2-3/16" at heel. Now, the comb on Repros is about 1" father rearward that Meriden Parkers, so that Comb dimensions equates to more like 1-1/4" on a closer comb. I personally feel like these dimensions are too high for many shooters, but it was clearly felt that more wanted dims like these at that time.

I have found some Repros are closer to the 1-1/2" and 2-1/2" Drops that most would feel more suitable today, but that is not the norm.
Hhhhmmmm . . . Is that "the comb on Repros is about 1" father rearward that Meriden Parkers" by the guess or by the tape?