Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 01-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #21
Jon Sheets
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks to a fellow Malin owner, I now have a good picture of Malin's Trade Label.
Thanks everyone for the interesting conversation.
Jon Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #22
Herc
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hello Gents
A friend of mine inherited a pair of Malin 12GA sxs 7 pin side locks. Beautiful engraving by Peter Cook. Unfortunately we discovered upon a cleaning by our local Gunsmith that Gun 1 had nice parts gun 2 on the other hand had different parts (shotty locks) and a different barrel as well as file marks and shims to make it all fit. I know there are many rumour surrounding F E Malin and perhaps I have proof that there is some truth to them. The good news is they shoot great! Anyone else have first hand intell on Malins?
Cheers
Jason Hyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #23
Martin Foss
PGCA Member

Member Info

Several years ago at a gun show in Renfrew Ontario I bought a 16 ga. SxS that was purported to have originated in the Malin shop. The words " H.O. Heimbecker Gunmaker" are engraved on the barrels. A note accompanying the gun states:
Stock - Dave Catchpole
Engrave - Ron Collins
Case Colour - Art Troth
(Malin Group)
The action is clearly a German box lock - scalloped with cocking indicators and German proof marks. Barrels marked Krupp steel. The stock is very well made and attracted my interest in the first place.
I could find no reference to H.O. Heimbecker through extensive internet searches. Then I researched the above names and came up with a phone number for Art Troth. Here is what I learned from Art - a Cockney gunmaker brought over to Canada along with several others in the late 70's early 80's
H.O. Heimbecker was "Harry" - a gofer who hung around the shop doing menial task. He was there because of his father who was a rich and famous heart surgeon who likely commissioned gun(s?) from Frank Malin. Harry was barely tolerated in the shop but Daddy's money kept him there.
David Catchpole was a master stock maker now deceased. Ron Collins was an actioner not an engraver. According to Art he was a genius gunmaker last heard of living in retirement in southern California.
Frank was overwhelmed with orders for custom guns and made delivery promises that were unrealistic. This led to the use of cheap spanish parts to the utter disgust of the experienced guys in the shop like Art. A fraud charge against Frank was the beginning of the end.
Art had lung cancer and could now well be deceased since I spoke to him.
Precision Arms and Gunsmithing in King City Ontario have a Malin sidekick for sale. I believe that the earlier Malin guns are very good. Frank gave one of his creations to Charles, Prince of Wales - good advertising for Frank.
Martin Foss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2020, 04:12 AM   #24
Herc
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank You for your response Martin!
Unread 02-07-2020, 04:17 AM   #25
Herc
Forum Associate

Member Info

Martin
How does your 16 bore shoot? Well I hope.
Jason
Unread 02-24-2020, 04:07 AM   #26
Herc
Forum Associate

Member Info

Martin
Upon further inspection by another gunsmith he assured us of their high quality. They shoot great after a tune up!