Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New member in need of assistance
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Gordon Holman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New member in need of assistance

Hello, I am Gordon Holman and I inherited my grandfather Edward P. Parker's Parker Bros. shotgun. My grandfather was born in 1864, was a cattleman, ran a group of saloons in Montana, went to the Alaska Gold Rush seeking his fortune, returned to Portland, OR about 1900, bought a cattle ranch east of Burns, OR and in his later years lived in N. ID where he trapped, ran a dude ranch, and distilled liquor during Prohibition. Colorful past.

My grandfather cherished his Parker and from the patina on the stock he used it often. He was a working man so the shotgun was acquired for its utility vs. hanging over the fireplace or on a wall. I found the PGCA via viewing the Gun Values Board website and a post by an individual that directly referred to PGCA as a location for detailed information on Parkers. I was amazed at what I could find so easily and how other members were so quick to provide helpful information to queries.

Here is what I think I know about the shotgun: 16 gauge, patent date of 3/26/78, Serial #144909, safe switch, Parker Bros. engraved on the metal just forward of the triggers on either side of the gun, & when disassembled it reads "Pat'd Jan 18 Aug 16, 1887 May 7 Oct 8 1889 Pat. Aug 15, 1905. A stamped V and 144909. Other ID marks are a WK in a circle, an inverted V with a partial circle under it, something else that looks kind of like an e with a mark to the right, a 1 and 909 engraved on the back end of the barrels. I also believe the V refers to the VH model. I don't believe it has ejectors. The safe switch appears locked and I have not tried to force it so the triggers can be pulled.

I have taken photos of the entire shotgun but most of the ID numbers can't be made out. There is some scaring to the wood stock. The checkering is worn, smooth, and has patina. There is a small chip out of the butt plate and the Parker Bros. logo on the butt plate and near the grip are very well worn. There are some dents on both barrels and you can likely see those in the photos. They are all within 10" or so from the end of the barrels.

I would appreciate any other information you could provide me on this Parker, what I should or should not do to preserve it, what a fair value might be for the shotgun, and should you know of someone who might be interested in this Parker to pass along my story and photos to them. My wife has indicated that if something happens to me that she will turn this into the local police for destruction. That would be a shame. In advance, thanks for your assistance. Gordon

P.S. I guess I don't know how to upload photos so maybe later.
Gordon Holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

WELCOME Your Grandpa's gun is a VH model 16 ga. that left the factory in 1909. It had a capped pistolgrip stock extractors and the barrels were 28" in length. This is a fine birdgun and a great piece of family history. Have the gun professionally cleaned and the safety fixed and don't do and thing else to it. IMHO , the condition of the gun tells a story and that is part of your family heritage. Brad Bachelder or central Michigan gunsmiths is where I'd send her for a tuneup'. Good luck and welcome aboard. You can order a letter from the PGCA and as to value, after the straightening out of some small issues, would be in the $1800 to $2400 range.
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Grandpa's Parker
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Gordon Holman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Grandpa's Parker

Thanks Jim. I really appreciate your thoughts on what to do and the "light fix". What would you estimate a "tune' up" would cost? Thanks again, Gordon
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gordon, not seeing or having the gun in hand, would be tough to estimate. Without dent removal, probably couple hundred at most if there are no broken parts internally. Best guess. Chambers are probably 2 9/16" so low pressure or lite loads should be used. It would be worth it to send the gun to a reputable double gunsmith for a proper evaluation. There are several real good guys throughout the country. Where are you located? Many will chime in with recommendations. Good Luck Jim
Grandpa's Parker
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Gordon Holman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Grandpa's Parker

Jim,
I live in Portland, OR. If you would provide your e-mail I can send you the photos to look at. Just yet not up-to-speed on how to upload to this website. Appreciate the estimate of cost. Gordon
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

I believe Keith Kearcher is out that way. GOOGLE his name and he can help you. Jim
Keith Kearcher LLC
60232 Ridgeview Drive
Bend, Oregon
1-541-717-9299
By appointment only

Last edited by Jim DiSpagno; 03-12-2013 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: additional info
Unread 03-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Gordon, it's a shame you don't have anyone in the family that could better appreciate it's colorful history. My dad's first Parker was also a VH 16, and while I can't claim he did the exciting things you can, the gun is still one of my most prized things he passed on to me.
I have an 1873 Winchester that my dad's great aunt took with her when she crossed the country in a Conestoga wagon. She was a school teacher and missionary and went out to Nebraska to teach at a Christian Indian school. She bought the gun new, and used it regularly. I have her Mills cartridge belt and an Indian rug that was given to her daughter by Tribal members in appreciation. She rode out the great blizzard of 1888 in a sod house, and no doubt the rug kept them warm. These are the things which mean the most to caretakers who retain direct lineage to their original owners.
That's my dad's Parker across my lap in my picture. I had just bagged two grouse that morning.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Grandpa's Parker
Unread 03-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
Gordon Holman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Grandpa's Parker

Jim, thanks for the referral to Keith Kearcher. I easily located his website and have sent him an e-mail with the photos attached.

Edgar, thanks for making contact and your comments. I wish I had someone to pass this shotgun onto but it is best that it eventually end up in the hands of someone who really appreciates the Parker brand.

Gordon
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Gorgon
Welcome aboard. Great family gun and even though many members would be interested in owning it,try and keep it in the family. I am on Gun Values Board and mentioned PGCA to you. If I can help please let me know
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Grandpa's Parker
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Gordon Holman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Grandpa's Parker

Hi David,
Thanks for your greeting. I was certainly steered to the right place when you mentioned PGCA!

Unfortunately there will be no family transfer of this asset as that requires responsibility on the receiver's part. My only option, that I can control, is to find an individual that will appreciate not only the Parker but that its owner had a rich and colorful past and that he truly respected the shotgun while he owned it. I can only be viewed as a temporary caretaker.

I am looking to connect with that right individual as soon as possible so if you can assist in that effort it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again. Gordon