Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 10-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #21
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,598 Times in 341 Posts

I do not think they had a separate scheme for the SS guns.I am sure they already had 28" 12ga.guns in the production line when we sent in the order.They just added 12SS to the watertable and changed the chokes on guns already in process.Remember,this was at a time when Parker Repro and Dunns were trying to react to changes in the market place.They were not worried about building collectible guns or being totally consistent.They just wanted to get the product out of the factory and into the customers hands.If you have ever worked in manufacturing,when the boss says "get it shipped"that is usually what happens.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #22
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Cardillo View Post
John - are you sure the SSS didn't receive its own numbering scheme?

Here's why I ask..
Nice job Scot. Very nice job. Pictures don't lie.....
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #23
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dunn's did not specify a special number other than the 12SS prefix.I don't know what the Japanese did for their own internal control or what Parker Repro may have done.Maybe you should ask one of the Skeuse family if they know.
My SSS with all requirements , BUT SSS.
Unread 10-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #24
crs
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default My SSS with all requirements , BUT SSS.

Thanks to John and all,
John Allen said "Only the steel shot specials sold through Dunns were marked SS.Parker Repro liked the idea so well they made a run of them after we sold off the guns from Dunns."
He also said "What makes it a steel shot special is 28" barrels,3" chambers,and IC/Mod chokes."
It was also mentioned that the barrels and chokes were chrome lined.

However, some folks say that a Repro Parker 12 that meets the above technical specs but does not have SS stamped on it is not a SSS.

Could it be that there is a cachet associated with the Dunns SSS guns that is not associated with SSS not marked for Dunns?

fwiiw, My Repro 12 on a 1 1/2 frame meets all the technical specs of a SSS but does not have SS stamped on the water table. Rather it reads "12-01294" with DHE centered above.

This has finally settled the matter for me and from now on I will know that an owner of a Parker repro 12 with SS on the water table has a Dunns SSS and has reason to be proud of it.
I like my SSS also and will not sell it, but pass it along with all my Parkers on to my son who probably will not care about SSS so long as it continues to shoot where aimed.
Visit Charles Shelton's homepage!
Unread 10-25-2018, 09:41 PM   #25
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The only thing special about the SS marked guns is that they were the first doubles to hit the market that were guaranteed for steel shot.I think of them as a special commerative run.Those that are not marked SS are just as good and just as valuable.I own #12-0026.It was the prototype gun for the steel shot program and the first 12 to come off of the line.It is not marked SS,but it is still a steel shot special and I have shot thousands of round through it.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #26
crs
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you John. May you shoot many thousands more.
I will sleep better tonight.
Unread 11-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #27
jerry serie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Irrespective of the SS markings, I'm curious how many of the 350 designated SS guns sold by Dunns were configured DT, St. grip, Splinter FE; or DT, Pistol grip, BT FE; or ST, St grip, BT FE; or ST, Pistol grip, Splinter FE; or ST, Pistol grip, BT FE; or ST, St grip, Splinter FE; or ST, St grip, BT FE. I realize this is a bit confusing and likely more detail than is actually available. Or, maybe John Allen can give us a rough estimate (e.g. most common to least common).
jerry serie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #28
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

We tried to split it up as evenly as possible with each option.It did not work out exactly,but it was close.We placed the orders in lots of 25.We would try to go 50%beavertai to splinter and the same with pistol grip to straight grip.There were more single trigger guns than double because these were duck guns.The most popular configuration was pistol grip,beavertail,and single trigger. The scarcest is the pistol grip,beavertail,double trigger.
Unread 11-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #29
jerry serie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Many Thanks John, the timing of these SS guns was very fortunate since I was shooting an early steel barreled 1899 VH Parker prior to mandated non-toxic shot requirement. Also, my SS has worked well on pheasants and sharptails. Best...
jerry serie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #30
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

My "SSS" configured 12 is a 28" IC & M, DT, splinter, straight grip, with no SSS markings. It is a very scarce configuration and I am just as happy to not have the SSS markings since I will never shoot steel in it. John Allen and Dunn's added so much to what the Skeuse family was doing. Too bad that Galazan, Griffin and Howe, and some other marketers of great guns didn't get involved.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote