Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 05-04-2016, 07:34 AM   #21
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

I think restored guns look better if everything but the frame is redone, patina always looks more righteous than a recase. If the receiver was previously polished then you don't have much choice. Why not redo the whole gun the way you like and see how it looks with the original frame. If you don't like it then do it.
Trojan picture
Unread 05-04-2016, 11:33 PM   #22
David Penland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Trojan picture

Shows very little case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (422.0 KB, 15 views)
David Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #23
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

he barrels need to be touched up as well. A Frontier Pad with some Rem Oil would clean much of those barrels up and give you a better idea of the real finish remaining underneath. You'd be surprised.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 05-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #24
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

David,
Thank you for posting a picture of the 20g that you posted about. It helps us in accurately commenting on your gun instead of just speculating.

The condition of your gun is what some would call a "rough weather hunter". One you can take out and get good service out of and not worry about getting it messed up.

Case coloring this gun is the LAST concern you should have. Other matters like barrel blue and wood condition always trump frame condition in my book when it comes to what should and shouldnt be restored in a priority list standpoint.

The only way this gun should be considered being re-colored is if a FULL restorstion was being done. And even then, the amount of surface prep to the frame would be great because of the damage already caused by active rust.

Shoot it and enjoy.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Thanks to all for advice on the trojan
Unread 05-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #25
David Penland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Thanks to all for advice on the trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
David,
Thank you for posting a picture of the 20g that you posted about. It helps us in accurately commenting on your gun instead of just speculating.

The condition of your gun is what some would call a "rough weather hunter". One you can take out and get good service out of and not worry about getting it messed up.

Case coloring this gun is the LAST concern you should have. Other matters like barrel blue and wood condition always trump frame condition in my book when it comes to what should and shouldnt be restored in a priority list standpoint.

The only way this gun should be considered being re-colored is if a FULL restorstion was being done. And even then, the amount of surface prep to the frame would be great because of the damage already caused by active rust.

Shoot it and enjoy.
Thank you for your assessment Brian. I agree and have already started working on the barrels and the wood. I picked up the gun from a nice lady who said her dad purchased the gun. I plan on posting pictures when I finish. If I were a financially independent fellow I would own many high grade Parkers and Smiths. As is I will continue to search for the diamonds in the rough and enjoy them for what they are, awesome examples of American art and quality craftsmanship.
David Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Penland For Your Post:
Unread 05-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #26
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,781 Times in 4,717 Posts

In past years, I have "Hunted" such guns as the pictured Trojan back to reasonable condition. At 70 1/2, I am beyond that, but Brian's advice to attack the receiver after everything else is done, is good advice.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 05-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #27
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

I believe Doug Turnbull's colors are the best for a Parker re-color. I have examined all the other current re-color providers and feel Doug is the best and most accurate. I am a little younger than Bill Murphy but I believe his opinions on restorations are spot on for an older guy!
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 05-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #28
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,386 Times in 3,073 Posts

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #29
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

I don't consider myself a broken clock just stating the opinion of one man as is Edgar. The best approach is to look at many examples and make up your own mind. You are paying the bill so what makes you happy is the most important factor.
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #30
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,386 Times in 3,073 Posts

I couldn't agree more, Craig, however, I am not, as you say, stating the opinion of one man, although I have yet to see, out of many examples, a piece of Mr. Turnbull's work that resembles colors reminiscent of Meriden's heat treat practice. As you may have failed to notice, I am only one of Many, who like another well known shop. Some people tout the work of a shop because they have had them do work; others may tout the work of a shop because they don't get along with another shop. My opinion is based upon what I have paid money for, in addition to many guns which I have cased for others.
As I stated before, I think Turnbull has a good idea how to heat treat a Winchester frame, but not so much a Colt frame. I spent over 20 years making Colt's case hardening boxes (yes, they are cast martensitic stainless steel) and did manage to pick up a few bits and bobs of info along the way. I have no doubt when Turnbull gets his packing practice under control, he'll start being consistent. What I mean by the clock thing, is his practice is not consistent.
What many people think of his work, may not, in fact, be his work. Do you know what he farms out? Hmmm......
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: