Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Sheridan Blue Flash 5 mm
Unread 04-04-2024, 09:33 AM   #1
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,621 Times in 1,558 Posts

Default Sheridan Blue Flash 5 mm

OK, It's not a double, but...

Just pulled out a Sheridan Blue Flash which belongs to my Son in Law. It's been in my safe for probably 20 years. I mentioned it to him and he was interested in it. The family is strongly anti-gun, but this apparently brought back good memories. I never thought much about it until I pulled it out today. Looks like a really nice toy. Wood looks almost new.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these? Only one I could find for sale was priced at $300.

Thanks.
Unread 04-04-2024, 09:41 AM   #2
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,314 Times in 2,439 Posts

Haven't heard of the Blue Flash but I have a Blue Streak.
Unread 04-04-2024, 09:53 AM   #3
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,621 Times in 1,558 Posts

Whoops. Operator error. Blue Streak it is
Unread 04-04-2024, 10:25 AM   #4
BS
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have one in .20 caliber. They are powerful enough to shoot through a 3/4”pine board. I shot a lot of rabbits and squirrels with it when I was young.
-Brett
Unread 04-04-2024, 10:42 AM   #5
Byron Teates
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have owned 3 over the last 46 years. 2 in 5mm and 1 in 22. My first was while I was Living in England back in the 1970s. I had permission to shoot collard doves at a flour mill that were causing a health concern. I probably whacked several thousand over a 3 year period. With 6 pumps of the handguard it was very accurate out to about 35 yards using Sheridan pellets.

I dont know if 5mm pellets are still available or not. On a gun that old I would check to see if it still pumps, and holds air. You may want to check e-bay, they have a number of guns and parts listed.

Byron...

The one I still shoot occasionally is .22 cal and is not as accurate as the 5mm.
Byron Teates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Byron Teates For Your Post:
Unread 04-04-2024, 09:45 PM   #6
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,078 Times in 412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Teates View Post
I have owned 3 over the last 46 years. 2 in 5mm and 1 in 22. My first was while I was Living in England back in the 1970s. I had permission to shoot collard doves at a flour mill that were causing a health concern. I probably whacked several thousand over a 3 year period. With 6 pumps of the handguard it was very accurate out to about 35 yards using Sheridan pellets.

I dont know if 5mm pellets are still available or not. On a gun that old I would check to see if it still pumps, and holds air. You may want to check e-bay, they have a number of guns and parts listed.

Byron...

The one I still shoot occasionally is .22 cal and is not as accurate as the 5mm.

The pellets are available just about everywhere. Sheriden invented the .20 in order to limit use to the more accurate pellets they made, I believe. At the time the .177 and the .22 were in use. The .20 is 5mm and so known by that name internationally. It is about exactly between the 17 caliber and 22 caliber. Ruger did the same much later with centerfires after some work by wildcatters in the late 60's who developed the .so caliber bore.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 04-05-2024, 12:10 AM   #7
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

These are great rifles. There was a time I bought all of the leaking Blue and Silver streaks I found locally and sent them to a guy in N Arizona for complete reseal. He charged me a flat rate of $50.00. I currently own 2 Silver streaks, 6 Blue streaks, and an experimental rifle that I have not been able to identify.
These are great air-rifles. Hard hitting and fun to shoot. There are dozens of companies making 5 mm pellets of the highest quality.
If you need one resealed l can recommend where to send it.
Also just a hint, if you ship pull the butt stock off when you send the rifle. The stock is not needed, it just adds weight and a longer box to ship. This reduces the cost of shipping.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post: