Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 12-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #11
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

king you got your self a good one....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,898 Times in 4,769 Posts

Dave is right. This gun is probably way later than 1953. Check the date codes on the breech end of the barrel for the proper date of manufacture. Great gun. I still have a few. Well, maybe more than a few. Killed a resident Canada Goose with one in October. Ran 100 straight in our Maryland State NSSA Shoot with a Sun Light (maple stocked) 20 gauge a few years ago, but lost in the shootoff because I thought I should use a real skeet gun. I missed on the first pair of the shootoff with my Krieghoff.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 12-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #13
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Barrel Code is ZZ, which is 1953. Also it has a metal follower as opposed to a plastic one which Remington supposedly near as I can tell switched to in the 1960s (thx remington society). i know it is pre 1968 based off there being no letter prefix to the serial number (again thx to remington society).

Sent some pictures to one of my dad's hunting buddies that is in to 870s and he said the wood is not original to the gun. The fit isn't quite right and the wood is a little too proud on the receiver. With the other info I gave him, he believes it very well could be a 53 based on the parts. He said the pressed checkering came over from the 1100 in the mid 60s and the fleur de lis pattern a little later, but it was very common in the 70s to "upgrade" your old factory 870 wood for the new remington stocks. He admits he has 1 or 2 he did it with and now wishes he hadn't.

So from what he told me, the barrel is definitely a 53 era one. The receiver is definitely pre 68. Told him the serial number, but he said that remington can't even give you a straight answer on receiver serial numbers except for the prefix letter, due to the different runs and model numbers and lack of records. He said from looking at it though and the fact it has an original metal follower and a metal safety and the fact I know it has been in the 4-H Shooting sports club safe for 20+ years that he would feel comfortable in going with it being a 1953 model.

Not that it has any collector value due to the pressed checkering dupont finish wood not being original, but the guts of the gun are 1953.

Really want to find some upgrade wood now.....
Unread 12-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Dave is right. This gun is probably way later than 1953. Check the date codes on the breech end of the barrel for the proper date of manufacture. Great gun. I still have a few. Well, maybe more than a few. Killed a resident Canada Goose with one in October. Ran 100 straight in our Maryland State NSSA Shoot with a Sun Light (maple stocked) 20 gauge a few years ago, but lost in the shootoff because I thought I should use a real skeet gun. I missed on the first pair of the shootoff with my Krieghoff.
According to the barrel codes, it was made in september of 1953. Provided the barrel is original...
Unread 12-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,558 Posts

One of the knowledgeable posters on the Remington site has a great description of Remington's dating service

"I do not trust Remington's dating service. If they were Match.com, you could end up with Nancy Pelosi."
Unread 12-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #16
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,360 Times in 4,428 Posts

Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #17
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

I started hunting in 1960 with a 870 12ga. with a polychoke. Killed my first dove, quail, treerat, rabbit, coon and deer with that gun before losing it when a boat overturned on a duck hunt. It was replaced by 2 870's. One was a 12 3inch Mag. which was hell on deer with number 1 buck ( back in the hound days ) the other was a 20 skeet gun which was my bird gun. Driving back from a South Dakota hunt a friend asked if I ever cleaned that gun. No need was the answer. We got to figuring and counted that 20 had been fired over 10,000 times without cleaning.( I take better care of my parkers ) They are great guns, one of the best. Danny
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #18
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,360 Times in 4,428 Posts

My first two guns were both 870's. Gifts from my Uncle Hugh Lane. I still have the second one. Dad gave the first one back to Uncle Hugh's grandson. They are great guns.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #19
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

For anyone interested I ended up ordering a set from Numrich that I had read good reviews of.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/590690.htm

Will see how it looks. May strip it and refinish it depending on how I like the satin finish.
Unread 12-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #20
Ron Gebhart
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a 20ga 870 that my father gave me when I was twelve years old. Interestingly it was manufactured in October of 1953. It has worked flawlessly for thousands of rounds. Gun is checkered, but not fleur de lis.
Ron Gebhart is offline   Reply With Quote