Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Newbie from Canada
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Craig Treleaven
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Newbie from Canada

Hi:

Like so many others, I've inherited a bunch of old guns and circumstances dictate that they be disposed of. Thanks to the wonderful information on this site, I understand that "my" Parker is an 1885 top-lever-hammer double-barrel 10 ga. Frame size 3, weight 5-2. Serial 43137. Don't see a grade marking but I believe it would be a Grade 0?

My question is about selling a Parker in Canada. There are at least three auctioneers in my province, Ontario, that hold regular gun auctions. I spoke with one yesterday and he said they've handled Parkers regularly but he didn't seem very enthusiastic. One factor is that there is an old repair to the left hammer. My G-grandfather was a talented (I believe) amateur gunsmith and the repair is quite difficult to see. I'll try to attach some pics to another post.

So, could I do substantially better selling the gun in the States rather than Canada? If I stay in Ontario, is one of the auctioneers known to be a better venue* than the others?

Craig

* I attended one auction (Landsborough, Mar 2013) to get a feel for the process. They were taking bids from the internet and the auction felt like it progressed at a snail's pace! I bailed after 4 hours and 300 lots. They did sell one Parker: 12 ga VHE from 1923 went for C$900. If you're really interested, you can see a pic or two re Lot #246 on their website.
Craig Treleaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Craig Treleaven
Forum Associate

Member Info

Some pics, just realized I didn't take one of the repaired hammer. Oops!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker4616.jpg (519.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Parker4625.jpg (525.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Parker4627.jpg (494.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Parker4622.jpg (507.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Parker_stampings.jpg (133.0 KB, 3 views)
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Craig Treleaven
Forum Associate

Member Info

BTW, I believe these brass shells were earmarked for this gun. On the other ahnd, if my Dad ever fired this gun in my lifetime, I didn't know about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker4670.jpg (528.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Parker4675.jpg (404.4 KB, 5 views)
Unread 09-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
John Gardner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Craig,
First, all Parkers are nice guns, second, it would benefit you to join the PGCA even if it is just to sell your grandfather's Parker.

After you learn a little more about it you may change your mind. You've hit the right place as the members here are great guys and with some more pictures would be happy to help out. A close up of the stock, butt plate, bottom of receiver, your grandfather's repair and the top of muzzle would be good start.

I would certainly offer it for sale on this forum (you need to be a member first - very easy) as you will reach interested parties both in Canada and the USA. I am in Victoria.

There is a process to go through selling into the USA and it will add around $400 to $500 to the price when the dust settles for a US collector. Prophet River is an excellent place to start if you want to export - their on the web - can't recommend them enough.

Good news is your brass shot shells are worth anywhere from a low of $10 to a high of $25, or more, if sold separately although I am no expert in shells so please get another opinion.

They were made in Canada by Dominion at the turn of the century or before which is neat if your a Canadian collector. (I would be interested in a couple of them myself)

From your first pictures the gun will be interesting to someone and with a little more info you'll get a clear picture of value. In Canada you can also list with Canadian Gun Nutz which is not an auction site - funny name, good organization.

This site - PGCA - will tell you when your gun was built, just look up the serial number - (I would have done it for you but don't know how to save this message) - and also if a research letter is available which will add value to your gun. Again well worth it to join PGCA.

Careful though, once you start to learn about Parker's you may get hooked! Hope your grandfather's gun gets to a good home - maybe even yours.

Cheers John Gardner
John Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Craig Treleaven
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the welcome and info, John.

Do you mean EACH brass shell is worth $10 to $25?? Or that the pictured group of 22 is worth that in total? (Actually have 25; found 3 more after the pic was taken.)

Craig
Unread 09-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
John Gardner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Each
John Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Mattdowdall
Forum Associate

Member Info

As was already mentioned check out CGN canadiangunnutz.com if your looking to keep it somewhat local. Lots of good folks on there as well just not as specialized as here.
Mattdowdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Craig Treleaven
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just a pointer in case anyone is interested...the above Parker is for sale through Landsborough Auctions November 23, 2013 sale, lot #301, along with lots of other good stuff:

http://www.landsboroughauctions.com/

Craig
Unread 11-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

if it was my grand fathers gun i d be shooting it...you will not find a better bunch of parker guys anywhere..you will make new friends the world over...and they will tell you straight about your gun...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Craig Treleaven
Forum Associate

Member Info

I appreciate the sentiment but I'm not a shooter and never will be. Better the gun be in the hands of someone who will appreciate it rather than it slowly rotting in some gun safe.

Craig
(BTW, it was my great-grandfathers. He would have been 18 when the gun was manufactured so it is possible he was the original purchaser...but I doubt it.)