Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Black Powder loads for 1886 D grade 12ga
Unread 09-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
Kingston Wulff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Black Powder loads for 1886 D grade 12ga

I have recently loaded a 2 3/4 dr. load for 12ga. with 1 1/8 oz. #8 shot and this has worked well at the trap range. Are there other Parker shooters/hunters that still shoot BP in Brass hulls besides me? Have the rest of you gone to RST reduced loads in your BP guns? Is it true not to load your BP loads weeks in advance of shooting because the shells do come apart and leave lead bb's in the box? I have not been using a crimp on the brass. Have I been too aggressive with my compaction to experience the shells breaking the water glass seal? BTW my Parker is a D grade with Damascus barrels at 30 in. It shoots real fine; I suspect it is FXF at .718 in bores.

Well done is better than well said.
Ben Franklin
Kingston Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have been using Federal once fired papers in the past and switched to paper Cheddites two years ago. (Also Cheddite papers for the 16). I use 3 dram 1 ounce card and fiber loads for the 12's. Fold crimp with the Federals and roll the Cheddites. Wow'd the spectator's at the Tunnel of Tree's on the "Incoming" stage with a 27/30. Answered some questions about the loads for interested shooter's. Performance of these loads are equal to smokless and clean up takes about 15 minutes. Great Fun!! For all brass hulls I seal the overshot cards with DUCO cement and have not had any problems with them. After washing the hulls I clean the mouths with a wire brush to remove all old adhesive. Brass hulls have been loaded for months and work just fine. Using GOEX Old Eysenford 1.5 fg the fouling stays soft and relative light and can easily shoot a 50 clay course. Clean up is easy with water, patches and brush followed by a dry bore and lubed with Slip 2000. Never have any rusting! Just good fun with black powder loads and some of the comments are just priceless!
Eric Johanen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Johanen For Your Post:
Unread 09-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
Kingston Wulff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Really?
I do have some very expensive 1.5 Fg Swiss that I may have to use. Have you ever tried SPG lubricant between the over-powder card and cushion wad? Thanks for the DUCO tip as well. I want to stay with BP for now as this is the way the gun was designed and BP clean-up is just part of your day. (My dad never understood that). He hated cleaning my grandads gun.

Ben Franklin
Unread 09-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Old Eynesford and Swiss give about the same velocity per charge but Swiss fouling is a bit harder and dryer. 1.5 fg OE is my choice and I use a lubed fiber 1/2" filler for a bit of lubrication and to keep the flying bits from blowing back into me with a wind in my face. I have used lubed felt wads and they work well too. I have not used a lubed cookie but see not reason not to try it. 15 minutes of clean up time does not seem to high of a price to pay for the fun of shooting black powder occasionally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Johanen For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've shot BP shotgun loads for over 15 years. It's been a while since I've used brass shells. I never tried water glass, but used Duco or just about any white glue to hold the OS card in place. I just pushed the OP card and cushion wad in, not worrying about pressure, so I never had one come apart. Never used lub, and for shotgun any BP will do. I usually get 20#s a order from Grafs to save on the hazmat fee. Their brand of powder works fine and is a little cheaper than GEOX. My BP shooting is usually reserved for SxS events. For weekly shooting at the club it's nitro powder in Remington hulls. I keep my pressures under 8000psi. Sounds like you're doing fine and having fun. That's what it's all about.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 09-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes, any black powder will work but the GOEX OE line of powders and the dis-continued KIK produce the least and softest fouling. I really like to be able to shoot a 50 round course without having to clean accumulated fouling from the bores after about 30 or so shots. Also the lubed fiber wads really keep the little bits from flying back into your face.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Johanen For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #7
Kingston Wulff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ok, all good info. I have a stick or two of SPG lube and may slice off a small wafer for under the cushion wad. I'm looking forward to several more hours in the garage to reload some "Parker Bros" marked hulls from Buffalo Arms.
I found a Lyman reloading book for a recipe of 75 gr. of Elephant FFg under 1 1/4 oz. of #8 shot to develop 980 FPS on a test gun of 26 in. barrels. Well, that means that the 30 in. Parker would develop between 1200-1400 FPS at the muzzle. Any thought on that? From the way I was hitting clay birds last week it looked more like 1500 fps from by-standers that I talked to.

Ben Franklin
Unread 09-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I wouldn't think you'd pick up that much velocity. In my first edition Layman BP book they have to go all the way up to 3 3/4 dram load before the velocity gets over 1200fps. That's in a 27" barrel, but I'm sure another 3" of barrel isn't going to make all that much difference. Eric, we shoot 150 rounds in a day on a couple of different events and don't wipe between shots. I'm not saying clean up wouldn't be a bit easier if I did something different, but people get set in their ways, so it is what it is. And Kingston, I've never read or seen anyone use a lube wafer. I know some use a lubed cushion wad, but I'd think it would be handy more for hunting than target shooting. Soap and water usually isn't too far off. I do use a lube wafer in my NMA pistol, but that's to keep the fouling in the barrel soft enough so the RB will still engage the rifling.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 09-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #9
Kingston Wulff
PGCA Member

Member Info

I get that. The velocity of 1200 fps might be optimistic but when it comes to BPMC rounds they say that another inch of barrel over 26 in. adds about 100 fps to your velocity. I was wondering if the same applies to shotgun? I did wipe my cushion wad past the RPG lube for good measure. In Nevada, nothing stays moist or damp for long. I could still chamber hulls even at 50 rounds thru the gun, no problem.

Ben Franklin
Unread 09-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

It’s possable the chronograph was reading muzzle blast not shot speed. They work on the projectiles shadow triggering the clock. Smoke will regester as well as shot.

I carry my Lifter station to station open with a wood wiping rod dropped into one of the barrels and small plastic bag of damp cut into quarters blue shop towels. Leaving the station push one through each barrel. Single pass not a full clean wipe.

Think you will find black powder fowling varies depending on ambient temperature and humidity as well as powder grade. Probably no need to wipe but I do it anyway. I use the lowest grade black powder purchased in 5 lb paper bags from a NSSkirmish shooter. It’s not real clean burning.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post: