Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

Dean, you have to tell us the particulars of the gun you picture. General Billy Mitchell's CHE 12 with 28" barrels on the #1 frame has a checkered wood butt.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Mark Conrad
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Checkered butts are rare. The Wagner AAHE has a checkered butt. This gun is pictured in the last Parker Pages with Kevin and Bill looking it over. The order says no butt plate. I have also seen orders that say no steel plate. I have not seen an order that just says checker the butt. Bill is right, the stock book copies we have will not show the butt treatment. I am told the original stock book has a block for information that would include special order stuff. One Clark Gable gun had his name in that block.

Checkered butts are popular in England so the LOP can be shortened easily. Kirk Merrington and I have discussed this at length. Wm Wagner sold lots of British guns and that is why his gun probably came with a checkered butt. Note, I have only seen this in the order books and they end December 31, 1919.

Mark
Mark Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Conrad For Your Post:
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,875 Times in 4,757 Posts

William Wagner of Washington, DC special ordered quite a few guns with "No butt plate". I always assumed he would install recoil pads at a lower price than the factory charged. Maybe some of Wagner's special orders were not for a specific person and he wanted to be able to modify them for the eventual owner. Wagner was a gunsmith as well as a retailer. By the way, the "Wagner Gun" that Mark describes is a gift to Wagner from Parker Brothers in appreciation for his high volume sales of Parkers.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: