Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Colorado gun show
Unread 01-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Colorado gun show

I have had the opportunity a while back to attend the Colorado gun collectors show in Denver and may do so this spring. Here is the link:

http://www.cgca.com/AnnualGunShow.htm

It is really quite the show with no guns younger than 50 yearsold so I am told.
Was wondering if there is PGCA representation?

Thanks
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

I've seen the PGCA represented at the show in the past. But with that said it's been a couple of years since I've seen a set-up there.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Would you like to do it? No kidding!

I'm going to a show this weekend that has PGCA tables. I was asked to display a few guns and sit by a table. That is the easy part and I'm glad to do it. That "PGCA event" is only because one member of the PGCA took it upon himself to get a table and coordinate with other members that the show will have a PGCA presence. Its work, and the people that organize it should be commended for their efforts.

I suggest if you want to take on the project, you talk to a member of the BOD and see how they can help you with banners, raffle tickets and advise... etc. Then get two or three local "Parker guys" to help; get them to agree to display their guns and hang around the tables. Post a request for help on this forum and see what response you get.

I think you will find its a lot of fun, meeting some great people with like interests. Work yes, but fun too. And a little help makes the work seem less daunting.

I went to a New Years Day shoot in New Hampshire that was set up the same way. One or two members invited other local PGCA members via this forum to attend a shoot at their club. That was three years ago. It was spoken about here on the forum with pictures posted and now its getting bigger attendance. We get together, shoot and eat, talk Parkers and the club hosting us makes a good profit by our attendance; which would not otherwise be there on New Years day. Everyone wins and it is a great time might I add.

In early summer several years ago, another PGCA individual organized a shoot in Road Island which is attracting people from many states. Even the wives who are not shooters have bonded and attend, its now a family event. We had a young man last year, that was not even in his teens, that almost out shot us; he was a neighbors son of a PGCA member. Great fun! Again, one PGCA member setting it up and getting it going.

I am sure that if you would do a table or a shoot, and get some help from local members, you will have a ball! Start small, and it will take off. Test the water and see how it goes. You could have an annual Colorado event going in no time and it only takes a week of so of concerted effort.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 01-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

We used to do the Colorado show and I hauled out a car load of guns from Kansas City for exhibition for a couple years. One year Charlie Herzog and did it together. Our thought is that with a little help it could be self sustaining. So its time that it be done by the people in the Rocky Mt area who are interested, have at it. There has not enough dedicated interest in the Colorado Arms Show to keep it going. CH and I did it because there was some clamor for it, but clamor is not enough.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Follow that link and look at the page describing the show. There's not a single mention of WHERE the show is being held. One assumes Denver, but you would think that it would be stated as such..... Am I missing something here??
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here is the link for the show poster:
http://www.cgca.com/2010ShowFlyer.htm

I was impressed by this show as there was so many high quality firearms and it was 10 x bigger than anything in my home state. I try and visit colo. in the spring and take my father. We have a real nice day there. He is not a Parker collector but is well known there as he builds and machines Schutzen (sp) rifles and 1000 meter bench shooters. In his late 80s he still builds guns. Does not have parkers but makes me parts. Just made me from scratch a complete Parker trip spring, and pin assembly for my friends VH that fit perfectly. Here is a picture of a 45-70 gatling gun he built. Cut all the parts and cut the barrels etc. had to have the brass/bronze molded by someone else. Hope its ok to post on this site.
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030633.jpg (497.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg P1030637.jpg (490.6 KB, 1 views)
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Grims For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Whatta moose gun that'd make, eh?! I like it!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Ross Goldsmith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
We used to do the Colorado show and I hauled out a car load of guns from Kansas City for exhibition for a couple years. One year Charlie Herzog and did it together. Our thought is that with a little help it could be self sustaining. So its time that it be done by the people in the Rocky Mt area who are interested, have at it. There has not enough dedicated interest in the Colorado Arms Show to keep it going. CH and I did it because there was some clamor for it, but clamor is not enough.
Bruce and Charlie created a great display for a couple years. Mark Vollanger did a lot of the ground work here in those years, but is now in California. I miss his organizational skills and hustle. I'd be happy to put in some time to help out, but don't have the knowledge or the guns to make a display. For that, no one I've seen out here at the PCGA table comes close to Bruce.

I've been told that this show is the third best (after Las Vegas and Tulsa) in the country. It is certainly the best in Colorado: the others are largely 'black gun' events.
Ross Goldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote