Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 03-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #71
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. Hoover View Post
Dean,

Thanks for the kind words. We visited with John during the trip to Ilion and Meriden that Charlie, Ron, Sam! Ed and I took in 1996. I am pretty sure I included details about B2505 in an article I wrote for Parker Pages in 1996 or 1997, but I can't find my copies of those old issues. I think Ron Kirby wrote an article about the trip as well. Do you still have a complete set of the Parker Pages from this period? Is there a Table of Contents listing of the articles and are copies still available?

Richard

I have all of the original copies of Parker Pages and I'll look for your article. When I find it I can scan it and send it to you or you can contact Jim Hall and have him send you the issue.

There is a complete updated index of all issues of Parker Pages and will be made available as soon as Robin Lewis and I are done editing the file. I'm the 'foot dragger' on this project but I'll get my edits to Robin soon.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #72
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean,

That would be great. I have some of the issues but can't find others. I think my articles about the Meriden trip and the T-latch Parkers were published in late 1996 or early 1997
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #73
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

It is in issue 3 in 1996. "A Quest for the elusive 11 gauge Parker"
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #74
Jack Hamner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Jack,

Your gun is a cylinder bore (no choke) 12-gauge.

If you want to shoot it you need to get some 12B brass shells and hand load them. The reason it is particularly interesting is that it is widely believed that the early 12 gauge Parker shotguns were significantly over bored. However the Parker order books show that almost all of the 11-gauge Parker's were chambered for the 12A brass shells. Bill Furnish and I measured a number of early under lifter Parker 12-gauge guns that were chambered for the smaller 12B (like your gun) or 11B (like John Hanson' no. 2505 Parker) brass shells.

These mysteries are finally beginning to make a lot of sense.

Thanks for your help.

Richard
NO!---Thanks for YOUR help!!! If it weren't for you and so many other dedicated authorities on these Parkers, I would never have gotten to the bottom of this story! When I bought the gun, it was advertised as a 14 gauge, and had it not been for you and the many, many others who helped me, I would have just assumed I had a 14 gauge! Thanks again! Jack.
Jack Hamner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #75
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jack,

I am sorry that your gun was not a 14-gauge as advertised. The seller may have honestly thought it was a 14 as well. In that case he may be willing to make an adjustment for you. I do not know where the misconception about Parker gauges came from. Many measurements on early Parkers clearly have shown that from the very beginning the bores and chambers of the Parker shotguns were finished with extreme precision. Your gun provides another important data point, showing that Parker was not over boring the early barrels out of the gauge size range as was suggested in early writings.

They did recommend using larger size wads, to achieve a better seal in order to produce the hardest shooting gun they could, but that did not alter the relationship between bore diameter, Gauge number and the proof loads they used to test the barrels before the gun was finished.

Thanks for your information about this early Parker.

Yours,

Richard B. Hoover
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #76
Jack Hamner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Jack,

I am sorry that your gun was not a 14-gauge as advertised. The seller may have honestly thought it was a 14 as well. In that case he may be willing to make an adjustment for you. I do not know where the misconception about Parker gauges came from. Many measurements on early Parkers clearly have shown that from the very beginning the bores and chambers of the Parker shotguns were finished with extreme precision. Your gun provides another important data point, showing that Parker was not over boring the early barrels out of the gauge size range as was suggested in early writings.

They did recommend using larger size wads, to achieve a better seal in order to produce the hardest shooting gun they could, but that did not alter the relationship between bore diameter, Gauge number and the proof loads they used to test the barrels before the gun was finishe
Thanks for your information about this early Parker.

Yours,

Richard B. Hoover

Thanks, Richard, but an adjustment is not necessary. I do believe the seller thought it was a 14 gauge, too. In fact, this very same gun was sold on a firearms website several years ago, and it was advertised as a 14 gauge at that time. Regardless of the gauge, I'm happy with the gun.
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #77
Jack Hamner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Jack,

Did you get measurements at several points along each barrel of your gun? If so could you please post these values? I am very much interested in these results as I am trying to get better understanding of the bores and chambers of the very early (pre-1975) under lifter hammer guns.

Thanks,

Richard
Richard, the only values we got are as follows:
Chamber .770 to .761

Bores
R .730/.731
L. .731/.732

Sorry for the delay--din't see this one until now!
Unread 03-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #78
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean,

I am missing my articles on 11-Gauge Parkers; History of Shotgun Chokes; Meriden Parker #90 & Prototype Parker that were on published in Parker Pages Issues.

Vol. 2/No. 4 July/Aug/ 1995
Vol. 3/No. 4 May/June 1996
Vol. 3/No. 6 Nov/Dec. 1996

If you could send me Digital Copies of my articles it would be very helpful and greatly appreciated. I plan to attend the SXS, and I will bring my Bore and Chamber Gauges with hopes that I will be able to measure some Early Parkers.

Thanks,

Richard B. Hoover
Unread 03-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #79
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Richard, I was saving my 10,000th post on this forum for something worthwhile and where I could help someone in this great fraternity... Thank you for giving me that opportunity. I will be more than happy to send those electronic files this evening.

Again, Thank You!

Dean
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #80
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Richard, I was saving my 10,000th post on this forum for something worthwhile and where I could help someone in this great fraternity... Thank you for giving me that opportunity. I will be more than happy to send those electronic files this evening.

Again, Thank You!

Dean
Dean,

Thanks. That is wonderful. I had all of those issues of Parker Pages but took the out of my binder and have no idea where they are now. In the past 18 years, since those articles were written, the mysteries of the Parker 11 gauge gun are slowing becoming more clear.

I have just made my reservations at the Baymont Inn for the SXS. I could not book a room at the Hampton but apparently the Baymont is just across the street. I now have to reserve my seat for the Banquet, so I need to find the info about sending in my check. Larry Potterfield may also come and bring his interesting Parkers. I hope so, as I am looking forward to meeting him and seeing his guns.

Thanks for all your help.

Richard
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard B. Hoover For Your Post:

Tags
0968, 13 gauge? uplifter, 1866