Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #101
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

David,

I was not aware there was a rule on gun weight restriction at the Fall Side by Side.

Please post us a copy of the rules that Rick is enforcing.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #102
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

I have never fired a SxS in competition so I have no actual dog in this hunt and the majority of you will own more parkers or whatever in your life then I will, but I will side with the no tubes, no gage mates, etc.

It is a question of playing the game the way it was meant to be played. Shooting with gauge mates etc in competition is like playing a round of golf with unlimited mulligans...its fun to goof off, but competitively whats the point.
Bill Holcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #103
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Ok here's my question, if it is ok to modify a Parker to shoot in the Fall or Spring shoot, why is it Repro's are not allowed, they are much closer to the originals then what you guys are talking about.... Just asking...
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #104
Mike Murphy
Forum Associate

Member Info

Eric - I didn't know that Parker Repros were not allowed in the Fall and Spring shoots.

Bill, I understand your sentiment, but a mulligan is a "Do Over". You don't get a second chance at a target, just because you use gauge mates. Probably a better golf analogy would be using a "wood' made of space age metal. Oh!, that's right, they do that now.
But they have outlawed the "belly" putter; which is basically what the current side by side rules do as a way of keeping new technology from giving an unfair advantage and maintaining the history of the game inact.
Michael Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #105
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Repros are allowed in the Spring and Fall Shoots. Just not to be used in the Parker/ Smith Challenge Event. But yes they can be used in all of the other competitions.
I have been told Parker Repros were not allowed in the Challenge because of Smith not having an equivalent repro. Something to do with some new guns having the smith name/ etc.

There is very detailed info on "legal"/ acceptable guns for the Challenge Event and for the general Fall and Spring shoots.

Everyone is in agreement that tube sets/ removable chamber devices and the like are not acceptable.

I would suggest everyone read the rules so there is no confusion. I think they are still up on a sticky. If not it can be searched. I had a very good discussion with Bill Kempler today. He suggested anyone with questions on equipment to give him a call to clear up any misunderstandings.
I have a call in to Rick Hemingway. I hope to hear from him on Thursday.
Unread 08-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #106
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Did a search on "Southern Rules" lots on the Challenge cup, well documented. Nothing on the Southern itself.

Like to see something in print.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #107
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Mr Davis,

I agree with you I cant find the general rules for the Fall or Spring Southern competitions.

I will keep looking and post a link if I can find them. They used to be readily accessible.
Sub-Gauge tubes
Unread 08-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #108
Sam Ogle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Sub-Gauge tubes

In my humble opinion; tubes should not be allowed. The former opinions of fellows here are correct in that for targets, a heavier gun which would have never been hunted with, then fitted with tubes would be an unfair advantage versus someone who was shooting an original gun. I recognize that some live pigeon and target guns were very heavy, and those of us who shoot trap & skeet realize that a gun way to heavy to carry in the field works great for clay targets.
I have a 16 gauge Sauer & Sohn hammer gun from about 1865-1870 era with Leupold Bernard Damascus barrels, which, while beautiful on the outside; are too pitted to shoot. I will put 28 Gauge Briley tubes in it. However, I would not consider it original, nor would I expect to shoot it in a competition. (Oh, dear Lord, to be so good as to make that a problem.)
I have a 32" 12 gauge #2 framed Parker. I shoot it pretty well, but I would not want to be allowed to shoot it in a Vintager match with .410 tubes.

This thread has been a wonderful example of the quality conversations, and the richness of opinions the Parker community has to offer.
Sam Ogle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Ogle For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #109
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I just got off the phone with Rick Hemingway from Backwoods Quail Club.

There is no restriction on gun weight for any gun or gauge. Period!!

Both Rick and Bill agree that tube sets are not allowed for the sub gauge events. However Rick did say that it is permitted to use a chamber reducer/ or tube set in the big bore events. For example: a ten gauge gun with 12 ga tube set or chamber reducer but must be shot in the ten gauge event. Or a 12 ga gun with 16 ga tube set must be shot in the 12 ga event. (12/20 etc, etc)

Repros are allowed for the competitions ,all of them, except for the Challenge Events (Parker vs LC Smith)
Unread 08-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #110
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

John
Thank you !
We now have the word
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote