Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 10-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Jeff O'Neill
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've got a 28 ga 2 barrel set, DT, straight grip, splinter FE. Was offered the opportunity to buy it new about 3 years ago and have primarily used it for quail. As pointed out above, the 28 inch barrel set is choked M/F... too tight for my use, but they swing better than the 26 inchers. LOP was too short for me, but with a strap on leather pad and carpet padding I've added about an inch to it... made a world of difference. No problems at all, though a bit stiff when I first got it. Love the gun, hope you find a good one!
Jeff O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I have a 20 ga. Repro with 26" & 28" barrels both choked Q1 & Q2 and both sets have 3" chambers.
And how many of those have you seen? I bet you aren't offering to sell it to Byron ! The vast majority of 26" guns were 2 3/4" Q1/Q2 or IC/Mod, and nearly all 28" guns were 3" Mod/Full. There are exceptions (like my 12 ga 28", 3" IC/Mod), but they are hard to find.
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
Jeff O'Neill
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernfeld View Post
And how many of those have you seen?
How true. If Galazan offered 28 ga barrels instead of the .410's I'd be sorely tempted to order 28 inchers with open chokes.
Unread 11-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Byron, here's one that would work for quail or ducks, if you want a single trigger.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/908427484..._12_GAUGE.htm#
This one would also work well, with just one barrel set, costs a lot less and has the correct number of triggers .
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Par...n_id=100103272
Joe
Unread 11-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
Byron Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Is there any reason for concern that a case descibed as the "original maker's case" may not, in fact, be the original case? In other words, has there been any known history of counterfeit reproduction cases? I have looked at a number of cased guns on the internet. Some of the cases appear to have the carry handle placed evenly between the front latches, while others appear to have the handle placed closer to the left latch (looking at it from the front). One in particular offset handle case looked to have a canvas cover made for a center handle case. I suppose it could be as simple as a mismatched original cover and original case. However, if there is such a thing as a counterfeit case, how would one know it is a fake?
Byron Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #16
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

Every original Parker Reproduction case that I've encountered has had a leather trade label glued to the inside of the case. I do not believe these leather trade labels are or have been available as an aftermarket item, so therefore; I would have to believe that if the case has an oval shaped leather trade label glued inside...is original. Incidently, there are original Parker Repro cases that accommodate 26" bbl. guns and cases 2" longer made for 28" bbl. length guns. Some 26" guns originally were equipped with cases made for 28" guns. In addition, all cases I've seen the handle is off-center to balance correctly when carrying.

Here's a link to a case for sale that I believe is an original Parker Repro case:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Par...n_id=100091025
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

The case for my two-barrel-set has the handle right in the middle while my two cases for Repros with only one set of barrels have their handles offset.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #18
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Byron, as far as I know, the cases were all made by Emmebi, and most came with a canvas overcover with leather corners, although there were a couple of variations of these covers. I had one that came with a thin Emmebi fabric felt-like cover, but thanks to Kenny Graft who sold me an original canvas cover, it no longer does. All had two hasps, and no leather straps. They all came with snap caps, and a square oil bottle was available for extra cost (they sometimes leaked; don't ask me how I know!). Jeff's Outfitters used to sell the snap caps with "Parker Reproductions" stamped on the base, but I don't know if he still has any. I have seen A-1 specials with more expensive oak and leather covers like Galazan sells, but I don't know if they were original or not. As Greg said, they should have an oval shaped Parker Reproduction trade label, but it was possible to buy these from Reagent Chemical, as I have a couple of extras.
Joe
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

You're right Dean, my 2-bbl. set case the handle is indeed in the middle, too. The other four single bbl. cases that I have the handles are offset.

Joe, I wasn't aware that you were able to procure the original leather oval trade labels from Reagent---good for you! Wanna sell one? I recently bought a Parker Reproduction trade label from Galazan hoping it was just like the original trade label, but unfortunately it is not, but rather it is made of heavy stock paper and is rectangular in shape.

Just like the original Parker Bros. guns...never say never.
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #20
Jeff O'Neill
Forum Associate

Member Info

I know for certain that my 2 barrel case is original, has the leather oval makers label, centered handle and heavy canvas case.